Skip to main content

Preparing & Painting a 1927 Inter Chassis

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57046 by

Chocs old mate yep they be the missing parts I'm looking for, I'm on my way so you better have em ready when I get there. Lol

Packed the swag and enough food for the trip see you at half past ?

Mate re the phone not me mate as mine has been running hot too hardly had it away from me ear. Good part was mine have been the good calls the ones that make you know why you do what you do. Ova

Anyway enough said gotta road run to do, see ya soon.

Trevor

Finally back home what a trip got the missing parts now just gotta fit em back up.

Choc's old mate thank you for your effort.

Ross' exact words. "How sweet is that"

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #57047 by Bugly

Finally back home what a trip got the missing parts now just gotta fit em back up.

Trevor

Have you had time to upload photos yet??? ::) ::)

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

• Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #57048 by

Trevor

Have you had time to upload photos yet??? ::) ::)

Bugly old mate sorry but the camera & phone both went flat and no way to charge em on the long journey down to Interland. Don't go that far for a holiday.

Im sure someone will get some piccys of the new parts on it next outing. Which is Echuca in about 3 weeks time.

Trevor

More
10 years 9 months ago #57049 by Bugly

Bugly old mate sorry but the camera & phone both went flat and no way to charge em on the long journey down to Interland. Don't go that far for a holiday.

Im sure someone will get some piccys of the new parts on it next outing. Which is Echuca in about 3 weeks time.

Trevor

:'( :'( :'(

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #57050 by
Getting the 27 put on the gas bench tomorrow just to see how it's running. Will report on what is found.

Trevor

More
10 years 8 months ago #57051 by gilly
Trev rocks up for a tune check :-/

Slight problem, he is injecting water into the old girl :o

Running repairs on the 27 :-X

[IMG

[IMG

Copy Trev Over ;D

More
10 years 8 months ago #57052 by modela2010
Hi Gilly, Trevor.

Water injection, under the right circumstances or conditions, can be a good thing with high performance engines like the 27 ;) ;)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 8 months ago #57053 by Swishy
Iz th@ head held down wiff wing nuts??

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #57054 by
Well yep what can I say.

Turn up at Gilly's for a check on the gas bench to see how the old girl is performing with the new dissy and carby refresh.

Roll the truck onto the ground go to fire it up and takes a lot more effort than normal, once she fires first thing we notice is she is blowing some steam out the pipe, mmmm not normal. Back away from truck and notice lots of water drip marks on the road, mmmmm also not normal. Drive up the driveway pull up and lift bonnet only to find water leaking around head bolts and manifold, with this shut it down. Only to find a milky oil leak out the rear main, check the oil level and she's way over full.
So decide we had better pull the head, lucky I had brought down the box of spares just incase anything was needed during the testing and it had a spare head gasket in it.

So what was going to be a day of testing, started with a head gasket change.
Swishy yes you are spot on the head was off back in January. Will be keeping a closer eye on it as we found a lot of the head bolts were not very tight.

So anyway after some unexpected work we are now ready for what we had planned to do.

Before we start Gilly makes up a temp timing marker then we fire her up and check the timing and it shows set at about the 10deg mark happy with that.
Next we hook up the bench and the first thing to show up is its running lean at idle. With this we adjust the air screw and try again still lean.
Gilly notices a miss fire so gets out another tool and checks the leads only to find no.3 not working properly so with this he goes and makes up a temp lead to make sure that old lead was the problem, yep new lead fixed it.
So with that found Gilly gets out his tools and pulls some new wire straight of the roll and we make up a complete new set of leads.
Fire it back up again running a lot better but still showing lean on idle, we shut her down again and gilly goes and gets another toy, this time it's a machine that produces some smoke to test for manifold leaks, all looks ok. As it was still showing lean on idle we close off the air screw and this makes it a lot better but still not spot on.
So now it was time to hook up another toy and go for a drive gilly watching a digital readout screen we drive off as we head down the road gilly is real happy with the numbers he is seeing as it was showing correct fuel burn, so we head back.

So after the bad start to the day we are now a lot happier.

Still showing a little lean at idle only so need to check sizing on idle jet and talk to Wilsons carburettor.

A very big thank you to Gilly and well worth the trip down to have the diagnostic done and the correct adjustments and parts fixed on the spot.

Trevor

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #57055 by
Little more to add on the head gasket saga.

Today re checked the head tension when cold and found about half the nuts were loose again so re tensioned them. It had only run yesterday for maybe 1 hour all up and only got to about 70 deg.

Talking to Gilly today we thought it might be better to give it another run and let it cool down again, Recheck and see if the tension changes anymore.
Thinking we might have an issue with the "New old stock" gaskets I got from the states about 3 years ago. We will see what happens.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds