Skip to main content

Preparing & Painting a 1927 Inter Chassis

More
10 years 8 months ago #57056 by Bugly

Little more to add on the head gasket saga.

Today re checked the head tension when cold and found about half the nuts were loose again so re tensioned them. It had only run yesterday for maybe 1 hour all up and only got to about 70 deg.

Talking to Gilly today we thought it might be better to give it another run and let it cool down again, Recheck and see if the tension changes anymore.
Thinking we might have an issue with the "New old stock" gaskets I got from the states about 3 years ago. We will see what happens.

Trevor

Unless the head studs are losing their tensile strength and stretching a bit.

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #57057 by gilly
Head Studs stretching has been considered, more studs on that motor than a Falcon head for the length of the head, low compression motor as well, so one has to think outside the square a bit. :-/
I still suspect the headgaskets are compressing, however, IDSTBC.
Trev was going to go around the block to warm her up again today, then recheck the tensions tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what happens.
Gilly

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #57058 by
Bugly

Thanks for the input that's what its about sharing.

Gilly

Trev reporting in. Ova

Got her up to full temp this morning then had to go to work so re checked just now. All except the 2 front LH corner bolts the rest were fine. Those 2 took about 1/8 turn.
As the studs are 1/2" 20tpi . 1/8 turn = about .006" in compression on gasket or stretch on bolts.

The first pull down yesterday was 1/4 turn on some so about .012" extra squeeze. Which I thought was quit a lot.

I will recheck them again after Echuca to see if we get anymore movement or it was just the initial heat cycle.

Trevor

More
10 years 8 months ago #57059 by gilly
Hi trev, maybe you are squeezing out all that copper coat I put on that gasket :)
Daily checks until she settles. Perhaps we should have pulled her down to 80ft lbs, :-[ would be embarrassing if we break a stud though. ::)
Hope she goes well this weekend.
GG

• Topic Author
10 years 8 months ago #57060 by

Hi trev, maybe you are squeezing out all that copper coat I put on that gasket :)
Daily checks until she settles. Perhaps we should have pulled her down to 80ft lbs, :-[ would be embarrassing if we break a stud though. ::)
GG

Gilly

Mate I got a bucket underneath catching the run off. ;D

Also think the 4 foot long pipe we used was long enough but if you want to try the 6 foot or 8 foot long one that's fine. But it could end in :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Trevor

More
10 years 8 months ago #57061 by gilly
Have faith Trev, memories of the Old man with his 6 ft pipe pulling down the silver frosted h / gasket on the ol Maple Leaf. Pull them down to they creak, or you will be doin it again next week.

Mamories ::)

• Topic Author
10 years 7 months ago #57062 by

Just an update for all who have been wondering on the head gasket.
Pulled it down to 75ft/lb and she hasn't moved thought the 60lb was a little light on but that is what I had been told it should be.

Had a new exhaust fitted during the week as we had a problem with the clutch pedal hitting the old one, got the baffled muffler replaced with a straight thru one and I recon I gained a few more horses. Still need to get a couple of spare head gaskets made and also might need to look at some manifold ones as well.

Thanks again gilly and if anyone needs some mechanical work or gas testing work done gilly is the man to contact.

Trevor

More
10 years 7 months ago #57063 by Bugly
Great news Trev, and thanks for the update!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

• Topic Author
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #57064 by
I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone on the forum who helped me along the way with the restoration.

I have decided that I am going to take a break from the forum.

If anyone needs to contact me the easiest way is by email. pre30international(AT)bigpond.com

Thanks everyone

Trevor

More
10 years 6 months ago #57065 by Mrsmackpaul
Gudday Trev thanks for sharing your restoration it,s being an interesting journey and I feel privileged to have seen a lot of it unfold and you go on living the dream mate seeya [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Paul
ps dont you go wearing that 27 out before I see it ;D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds