Skip to main content

Preparing & Painting a 1927 Inter Chassis

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #56406 by
This job has been carried out over the last 2 weekends with the help of my eldest boy (who is a spray painter).

Step 1. Strip everything of the frame

Step 2. Sand the frame back using orbital sander, then hand sanding and finally with scotch brite. This took about 7 hours. (looking back at it should have sand blasted it.)

Step 3: Set up tarps inside shed to create a area to contain the overspray, also hang the frame & springs, mask off hoist.

Step 4: Day of spraying, Set up heater in shed to bring temp up from about 10 deg to about 17 deg, then give frame & springs a final clean using prepsol. Once this is done now time to prepare for paint, set up extraction fan to suck out fumes & overspray into a big cardboard box outside, Set up paint pot using a small mixing pot inside the large pot (the large pot has got thinners in the bottom to make the pot float).

Make sure heater is turned off before painting.

First is a coat of etch primer, then a coat of 2 pack high fill primer then finally 3 coats of International Red 2 pack paint.

Etch primer

High fill primer 2 pack

Just finished 3 coats of 2 pack International Red

Overspray on floor that will sweep straight up

This process is called spraying wet on wet, the final finish will dull of just a little because of using this method but it saves all the rubbing back in between coats.

All i have to say is watching somone that spraypaints for a living makes it look real easy.

Sanding set up/masking & prepsol took about about 14 hours actual spraying time about 3 hours.
Paint cost 4 litres colour $275, 2 pack hardner(medium) $60, 4 litre high fill kit $115, 4 litres 2 pack thinners $35, prepsol $81, normall thinner $48 (used for gun wash & in bottom paint pot). We used about 1/4 of this to paint the frame and springs.

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #56407 by GM Diesel
Looking good Trevor 8-).......good I saw it to because I forgot to send your bits over for it....Sorry...im on to it.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
12 years 9 months ago #56408 by Aussiehooker
looks great . you are right the painting is the easy part its the prep work that takes the time with sand blasting you still have to do some sanding then get lots of primer on to fill the blast pits then sand before painting do you realize you have made a problem for your self its to shiny to drive on the road the truck will get dirty lol all the best don

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #56409 by
Baz got your email been a bit tied up since wednesday with some kidney stones so no work done this week.

Don
My son has always said to me if you dont prepare the base area properly paint aint gunna stick to it. Re it being nice and shinny all paint work looks fantastic when you roll it out the booth get a few miles under the old girls belt and it will dull off and chip like everything else, but i am happy with it so far.

With a week out of action next weeks task is to get the front axle and all the little fiddly bits blasted and prepared for painting and if i get time also the rear axle assembly ready.

Trevor

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 9 months ago #56410 by Swishy

Slos Peed
Gudday M8

RE: some kidney stones

Must B the right time of year to harvest said stones

Az ewe kno n eye kno
tiz hard to xplain the pain

az I have truble getn me tongue around the wordz to xplain the definition of pain
can U xplain to our viewerz @ home the pain these little F rocks cause

LOL

Cya

[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #56411 by
Swishy

OFF SUBJECT

Re kidney stones I have been told it is the male version of child birth, and i have witnessed that too and i must agree, it puts you down like a bag of sh%t.

Easy way to fix the pain is ambulance ride to hospital and then lots of morphine and fluid until you pass them

But in my case as mine is too big to pass (16mm diameter) they have put in a stent to bypass the stone and i will go back in about 2 weeks to have the stone and stent removed.

They are no fun at all.

Trevor

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #56412 by
ouch!!!! :'(

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #56413 by Chocs
Hope things improve Trev...
Did the mention that copious amounts of fizz may help?? :-/
Surely it couldn't hurt :D
Take it easy bloke
chocs 8-)

• Topic Author
12 years 9 months ago #56414 by
Did some supervising yesterday will my eldest boy did some more painting.

Rim parts etch primed

A lot more bits and pieces painted still got some more red to paint yet.

Can now start to re assemble some of the bits maybe later in the week.

Trevor

More
12 years 9 months ago #56415 by Aussiehooker
looking good but isnt it funny when the wife comes out and says is that all you have done or what took you so long i know it all in the preparation keep up the good work don

Time to create page: 0.656 seconds