Skip to main content

Detroit Devil

More
10 months 4 days ago #246232 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic Detroit Devil
Greetings. Before I got the first stamp in my first passport the Satan's Son build was pretty much done but with a lot of idling getting transferred to the paint shop and back etc so Grant would chain it up on the chassis dyno and give it a work out when it came back to Detco. Geez- you should have heard it- the noise, the black smoke, the tyre noise on the dyno roller - it was a traffic stopper and a work stopper and Geez did it sound good. All engine builds were dyno tested whether on the chassis dyno or engine dyno- all the 6v53T's I did at Penske's were tested on the engine dyno to ensure they were getting the 270Hp and then tested again as a power pack with the Allison to ensure the shift patterns passed muster. Mark was telling me when they were testing the 12v they held it @ 1200Hp for too long and boiled the engine oil resulting with a few nipped kits. They rebuilt the engine with 0.005' oversize liners inside diameter to prevent any more problems @ full horsepower. It worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, wee-allis, xspanrman, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 4 days ago #246234 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Detroit Devil
Thank you everyone for the replies

I am stunned all the time at the knowledge and experience this forum has and had over the years and the willingness of people to share

Sorry Pete for taking it off topic but selfishly for me it was well worth it

Much appreciated

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis

More
10 months 3 days ago #246240 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Detroit Devil
Reading bits on ‘Godfather’ a 78 Road Boss built up by Don Hodge. Ran an 892 with blower mods, bigger turbo & injectors, heads worked and set up to 3000 rpm.
No mention of HP but someone may know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul

More
10 months 15 hours ago #246285 by overlander
Greetings. I went to see Mark today to do some volunteer work and found this photo - it's been posted before but I figure the resolution may be better. Anyways, the 8vT had N140 injectors, 3000rpm no load giving 2800rpm loaded and of course, lots of boost. So he's telling me that Roger Ryan (RIP) - the General Manager for Detco Australia got some enquiring phone calls from Detco HQ in America on how the 12v engine in the Detroit Devil out performed Tyronne Malone's 12v and his answer to them was and I quote "All the parts we used are in the parts manuals". Good response I reckon. And with all the Detroit brochures & Manuals that Mark has I still haven't found an 8v71 automotive brochure. The search continues with each visit- what happened is that he had to move sheds so there is a lot of sorting out to do. Happy finding the photos though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, xspanrman, oliver1950

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #247042 by overlander
Greetings. Mark uncovered this gem he'd forgotten about. The poster has taken a bit of strain but for me it's the only one in existence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, Tacho, xspanrman

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247814 by overlander
Mark found this photo and others in his 'files'. I'm sure he'll find more when he has time to look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #247815 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Detroit Devil
Tah muchly for sharing

Looks fast even when still, must of sounded loud by the looks pf those pipes

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Mrsmackpaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247817 by LN700
Replied by LN700 on topic Detroit Devil
Overlander,
Hello Pete. First time I have seen a close up of the devil from this angle.

The red canister/tank on the exhaust gantry would have to be the Fuel/diesel tank?????
Inquiring minds you know.

LN700 B) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action, overlander

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #247819 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Detroit Devil

Overlander,
Hello Pete. First time I have seen a close up of the devil from this angle.

The red canister/tank on the exhaust gantry would have to be the Fuel/diesel tank?????
Inquiring minds you know.

LN700 B) :)
I reckon it's a Rycore fuel filter.
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by V8Ian.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247821 by overlander
LN 700- I'll ask Mark next week when I do my volunteer work. Canister looks a bit small to be a fuel tank. But yeah- where is the fuel tank ? Pete

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds