Skip to main content

Cop a Load of This

More
11 months 1 week ago #245790 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Cop a Load of This
Oh dear, to be miss informed, I guess everything on social media must be true :P :P :P

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #245791 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Cop a Load of This

Check out the list on the ship unloading the transformer.
They are apparently using the ships cranes rather than a ground based one. That much weight over the side will definitely "Rock the Boat"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
11 months 1 week ago #245795 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Cop a Load of This
The list is normally counteracted by adjusting ballast water in the tanks, which makes the whole unloading process a long one one, as they have to shift water not only as the load goes over the side, but again as the weight comes off the crane.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
11 months 1 week ago - 11 months 1 week ago #245796 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Cop a Load of This
Wee Allis

I don't think the old ships did live pumping with normal working cranes. They just put up with rock and roll as the cranes (There could be 4 or more) worked away. That super load may have had some arrangements but it does not look like it from the list. The ships are so large now that a few containers, no matter how heavy, swinging on and off make SFA difference. You occasionally see container ships rolled over at the dock when the second officer ballsed up his mathematics and stacked too much on one side during loading

Unless it is a dedicated heavy lift ship super big loads are handled by shore cranes leaving the ship sitting upright all the time. Most ships don't even have loading cranes now.

Of course at sea the Engineer pumps ballast, water tanks and fuel tanks left/right, front/back to keep the trip trimmed but not constantly.

Normal unloading list in NZ back in the day.

Ship stays level with external crane but in this case with the ship crane sharing the load it will lean as the box swings out. Both operators must be co ordinated.

Bad maths

Even worse maths

Even a ton of horse hanging out can lean a large ship.
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, PaulFH, asw120, Brocky45, oliver1950, theabundantlife

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #246123 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Cop a Load of This
Another pic of the transformer load

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, Inter-Action, PaulFH, wee-allis, theabundantlife

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #246125 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Cop a Load of This
There is a utube of a ship being unloaded by a grab on the ships crane ,with the ship rolling wildly in time with the throw of the grab ,and the sand or whatever landing clear over the wharf ,about twice the normal reach of the grab.......have to be Vietnam or China or SE Asia somwhere .........there are Utubes of sand boats running with the piled sand hoppers completely submerged ,the explanation is the wet sand cant absorb any more water ,so the hoppers underwater doesnt affect the trim of the ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
9 months 2 days ago #247053 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Cop a Load of This
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, wee-allis, xspanrman, Brocky45 and 2 other people also said thanks.

More
9 months 2 days ago #247057 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Cop a Load of This
I love all those Scammells. I cannot decide which I would rather have. The Contactors hauling the transformer (I think I can see a third one pushing) would be more practical but the WW1 lowloader with the tank would be amazing to display. It would have been a problem stopping it with that load and no front brakes, probably none on the trailer either.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
9 months 2 days ago #247058 by Inter-Action
Replied by Inter-Action on topic Cop a Load of This
No worries of blowing a tyre under the weight? Love all the photos sent in by those members prepared to share, wether from
many years ago or current. Thanks to all those who contribute to the content of our site. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound

More
9 months 1 day ago #247066 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Cop a Load of This

No worries of blowing a tyre under the weight? Love all the photos sent in by those members prepared to share, wether from
many years ago or current. Thanks to all those who contribute to the content of our site. Dave.

Believe it or not, but solid rubber tyres, especially on steam waggons, due to a combination of imposed weight and speed did blow out. The rubber internally would got hot and expand causing a bulge which would eventually blow out. Makes a bit of a mess with semi-molten rubber spewing out. I actually witnessed this happen on a Sentinel DG6 waggon back in the 1980s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobsboy, 180wannabe, cobbadog, eerfree, Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.633 seconds