Skip to main content

Old Kwikasair SARs

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #23551 by richie
Replied by richie on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Heres one more for you young fella,sat.morn brisbane changeover. :)
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by richie.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #23552 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
g'day to all. at the bottom of werkhorses lovely list is 2mv445 tnt driver training van ex flexi....alltrans took over mainline transport's operation in late 1965 and two or three mainline peterbilts were painted up in alltrans' grey, black and red complete with signage and unit numbers, two of which were mv573 and mv575 (no number before the two letters) i have often wondered if these trucks were retained by peterbilt australia (mainline tpt) because in a very short space of time they were then sold to ron thomson tpt of south grafton. alltrans went on to buy three coe peterbilts (8v71 4x4 spicer) in the latter part of 1966.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #23553 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Thanks Detective.....

......Just one question though.......

*MV573 and *MV575 suggest to me trailer numbers not truck numbers.........My way of thinking would suggest maybe *MA573 and *MA575.......

Not trying to cause and argument or anything I just want to be super sure of the numbers before I add them to the list.

I have also found reference to TNT Truckline based out of Brisbane and I believe they carted woodchips/woodproducts for APM around 1980 or so

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by werkhorse.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #23554 by
g'day werk i'm looking at the pics right now and yeah ....they are the mv letters as posted....interesting stuff.

cheers.
ps.... these painted up rigs had dry pans hooked up with unit numbers pertaining to mainlines operation .

More
12 years 8 months ago #23555 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Thanks again Detective.........It's one hell of a numbering system.

I'm having some fun trying to work out when they changed the numbering system from all TNT companies (KAA, Comet, Alltrans etc.) went from having the KT prefix to them all getting seperate prefixes, KA,PA,etc.

I'll put your numbers in a seperate 'unknown' section till I can do more investigating.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
12 years 8 months ago #23556 by Young Fella
Replied by Young Fella on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Thanks for sharing another great photo Richie, how many more you got?

Werk, have a look at Hanks Truck Pictures website, look up the Rene Buron Collection. There's a photo of an Alltrans Peterbilt with 2 pantechs in road train configuration, parked under the Harbour Bridge. I reckon this is one of the trucks Detective is talking about.

Or perhaps Rene would like to share that photo with us?

12 years 8 months ago #23557 by
werk... to completely fair to the whole subject i'm not even sure these unit numbers i've quoted tie up with tnt going forward into the late '60's....it may be a total coincidence, but the driver training thing may have some relevance .

cheers

12 years 8 months ago #23558 by
young fella ...you're right. that harbour bridge picture was of mainlines' unit 306 (alltrans mv575) although the pic is a total mock up...look hard and all they have done is added the back of the prime movers' bogie and trailer to make up the ''double''...trick (or creative) picture making !

cheers

More
12 years 8 months ago #23559 by richie
Replied by richie on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs
Thats about it for my collection young fella,Im still tryin to find more in my albums,hoping someone will have a stash hidden and post them for us to enjoy. ;D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 8 months ago #23560 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Old Kwikasair SARs

U may find a few TNT pix (n sum odd numbers) right here @ this fabulous site

www.kws900.com/
Clik n here will getcha there

Wot can eye say
wot a gr8 bunch of pix
LOL