Skip to main content

How to restore a Truck

More
12 years 5 months ago #66963 by ivor project
re hero truck thats to me sounds like a very clever marketing ploy who actually coined this phrase?????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66964 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: How to restore a Truck

Howdy,

It doesnt matter what you got, how its done or how much it cost.....for me its the people. $250,000 doesnt make a fella any better to have a fizzy with than a bloke with a straight out of the paddock gadget and an ABBA T shirt.

As far as how to restore something - If you want to do it bad enough it'll happen. Time you have to make and cash can be made pretty easy with a bit of buy and sell...of legal things :D

Basil

Basil you've pretty much sums up My thoughts. 8-)

However,

When I respnded to Swishys' initial post, I was having a bit of a 'dig' a Dave.

Quite frankly, though If you've gotta beg your wife. Every time you want indulge in your Hobby,

You've Got the wrong women.
In My opinion anyway. & NO i don't mean hide everything from her. Your in it together. She indulges in her; things you in, yours.

IVOR; One thing you need to keep in context,(I believe) is here in Australia is. Whilst our land Mass is coparable to the USA, even today our populations only 25 million.

30-40 years ogo when most of us on this forum were going to school the population was only 13-14 million.

Consequestly the available 'pool' of old/ collectible trucks is VERY SMALL.....
As a result we tend to grab what's available WHEN it's available. 'cause if we don't it will be lost forever!!

Does this make us greedy hoarders????

In my humble opinion NO!!

I've been guilty of 'preserving' a fair few old things over the years. But I'vew never been afraid to seell/swap/trade them over the years. As a result I'd like to think My 'collection' is a lot better quality than 25yrs ago when I firsts got greedy and started 'saving' a few old things....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by hayseed.

More
12 years 5 months ago #66965 by ivor project
hayseed regardless of population ect the old truck deal is no different in the u.s the so called hero trucks in the states would be the factory :muscle trucks: 12v71 , kta 600 , 3408 powered trucks which bring crazy prices and hold no interest for me . as for [if i don,t buy it now it will dissappear forever] that is not the case it it just goes to someone that will do something with it not squ irrle it away in the hope of makin a buck in retirement which i do not think is the case with you but i dont have a great deal of simpathy for guys with a dozen trucks tucked away in there shop bitchin about the global economy. to me that sounds like someone turnin a hobby into a retirement plan

More
12 years 5 months ago #66966 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Ivor, it is true a few blokes make a bit of cion out of dealing in old trucks, but there are plenty more that would make more cion out of renting out the space the things take up in a shed.

More
12 years 5 months ago #66967 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Ivor, you're quite right. I'm not doing it for the Money.
In fact My wife would probably tell you our respective hobbies keep us poor(but Happy) :o
But as I often tell her.
you never grow up, the toys just get bigger ;)

I have absulutly no idea how the Scrap metal industry, operates in the States.

But I can tell you with 100% certaintity,That there are things in My collection, both currently & in the past. That if I didn't 'save' them, were destined for the Scrap Metal shear. *Without fail*

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66968 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: How to restore a Truck

re hero truck thats to me sounds like a very clever marketing ploy who actually coined this phrase?????

I used it for trucks but others may have also - it is a bit of slang from my school days in the 1970's referring to production car racing when people looked at the GTHO Falcons, GTR, SLR, or A9X Toranas winning the races and went and bought the standard versions of those same cars - usually with a smaller motor to try and share the image. The old "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday'. The 'Hero Cars' where the versions that were continually in front on the racetrack

Today the street legal versions of those racing cars (required under the homologation rules of the time) are worth a lot of money while the lesser versions are not and often have problems giving them away (4 cylinder Torana or Commodore anybody?)

The same applies tor Trucks, Why is a B-Model Mack selling for so much more than a R190? Why are either of them worth more than smaller, cheaper to run trucks on the hobby scene? Why are Macks, Kenworths, Peterbilts etc. of them worth more than an Dodge, Ford or Inter of similar capability?

The answer is the same as the cars - it is the image and desirability rating when people were younger which we want to relive now. Luckily people have different tastes or reasons for owning these vehicles or our shows would be very boring

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by bparo.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66969 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: How to restore a Truck

as for [if i don,t buy it now it will dissappear forever] that is not the case it it just goes to someone that will do something with it not squ irrle it away in the hope of makin a buck in retirement which i do not think is the case with you but i dont have a great deal of simpathy for guys with a dozen trucks tucked away in there shop bitchin about the global economy. to me that sounds like someone turnin a hobby into a retirement plan

1. That's good in theory but the bloke who'd do something with it might not always be in the right place at the right time, with cash, time or space available.

2. What's wrong with turning a hobby into a retirement plan, sounds like the best of all worlds to me.

3. Having trucks tucked away and bitching about the global economy seem to be mutually exclusive issues - are you actually suggesting that if everyone got rid off every truck except their current project it would solve the world's financial problems.

4. You're starting to sound like a bloke who wants something someone else has and they won't play ball your way!
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by jimbo51.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66970 by Rusty Engines
But I can tell you with 100% certaintity,That there are things in My collection, both currently & in the past. That if I didn't 'save' them, were destined for the Scrap Metal shear. *Without fail*

as for [if i don,t buy it now it will dissappear forever] that is not the case it
THAT IS THE CASE
Hi Ivor
A year ago plus
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Rusty Engines.

More
12 years 5 months ago #66971 by ivor project
bigcam i agree the few vehicles ihave reluctantly sold over the years have just covered costs .if my labour was included no one could afford them!even in todays depressed market the only real money i have made in a lifetime of hard work is the small amount of real estate i own
hayseed first it seems your are blessed with a understanding wife like me which is a large bonus!!!!
second the scrappers are the same in the states as elsewere i see rare trucks going to china every week! . if i had the $ to buy 1 in 10 i still do not have the time or resourses to do them justice so for me its one at a time and enjoy the experiance as for the basket case coe pete i have wanted one for as long as i can remember. greed is probably not the best word to discribe the perchase but its close but i really don,t regret it .the w9 isnt gonna run away

12 years 5 months ago #66972 by
Replied by on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
g'day ivor and all again....the big hero american trucks stateside (12V71, 3408 cat, etc) are to you, what a six inline GM or an 8V71 or a big lazy old 250 cummins is to us.

we are very proud people in australia... especially for what we asked just about ANY truck to do, in its sometimes short lifespan.

i reckon i can defy anyone saying they are not ''bitchin'' about the state of the world economy.....which comes home straight into our own backyards but still want to enjoy, in their own way, what they love to relax with at the end of a hard working day..be that dusty trucks, happy family or for that matter even stamp collecting!!!

ps there's something not quite right going on here, i feel. i would like ivor to 'fess up on something that's bugging the crap out of him.

cheers

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds