OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #66914 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Swishy,Mate.
Looks like Deadly's got us all beat, before we start :'( :'(

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

12 years 5 months ago #66915 by
Replied by on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Swishy - Yes, and after THAT hurdle is over, the next diagram has to display the bloke on his knees in the first pic, being bent over a counter, with his strides around his knees, and handing over a large jar of vaseline! :D

12 years 5 months ago #66916 by
g'day all....i hate to really have to say it but we are a bit just too ahead of our time when it comes to really, properly, restoring trucks (at least in australia).

we haven't got the latent wealth, it appears, to properly justify the huge expense that is required to do the job that a lot of people expect to see,...especially for the bigger stuff.

when it comes down to family considerations and trying to hold the whole thing together.....you just CANNOT spend money on your own particular folly...obviously without the grief that follows

onetrack nailed it in an earlier thread by stating you almost have to be of retirement age before you can seriously consider this type of undertaking, therefore the softest option is to collect, conserve and basically enjoy your hobby until you can steer a way through all of your diplomatic efforts.

ps...i speak as a person who just has lifes normal considerations... and no...i have got no hope of restoring anything soon.

cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #66917 by ivor project
re no hope of restoring any thing soon - detective your main mistake is greed! theres no one on this planet that has enough time left to restore half the trucks you have in your shop .if you had put half the money you have spent aquireing trucks into 1 resto you might just have some idea what its all about. its called fun not ego
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by ivor project.

More
12 years 5 months ago #66918 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Well i will throw you some from another direction..

Who sets the 'bar' for 'restoration'?
Why does it have to be a 'restoration'?
Why does the 'restoration' have to cost a sqillion dollars?

If ol mate wants to buy a gadget, go home, wash it, paint the wheels and go to a show....good luck to him..
(if thats his idea of a 'resto')

If his mate wants to buy a gadget, tip five hundred thousand dollars into it.....good luck to him too..
(if thats his idea of a 'resto')

If they are somewhat happy with their achievement...who cares...

The services and parts to 'restore' some of these gadgets are as available and affordable as they have ever been.. if not cheaper for some of the American breeds..

SADLY and IT IS A REALITY...
Some of you jokers won't make retirement!
All the best made plans can turn to $hit in a heartbeat....or lack of one! ;)

You need to start now....get into it...
Many of you, may carry the wealth at 'retirement' but may find your body has different ideas about climbing in and around old gadgets...

Enjoy what you have...make the most of it, while you have it....

I cannot understand how or why you should have to beg borrow or steal from your partner, be it money or time, in order to enjoy a hobby???
Granted...There has to be give and take but if there is that much grief attached to it...
why would you bother.... with the bride or the gadget!

chocs 8-)

12 years 5 months ago #66919 by
...nah ivor, i think you're mistaken. i did my collecting a long time ago and that in itself was the soft option. i have ''restored'' a cabover 1966 peterbilt but that is the rub....restoring something is infinitely harder than collecting something so i took the easy road. i think a lot of enthusiasts would agree.

it costs me a lot in potential rent to keep these things housed (and husbanded) .

each to their own but i do think greedy is quite harsh.

ps ivor ....how many projects do you possess?

cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago #66920 by truckit
Replied by truckit on topic Re: How to restore a Truck
Hi Chocs,

I could't have said it any better, work together and enjoy the toys now, we both go to work and both love our hobby, trucks and gardening, both need attention all the time and both are enjoyed all the time, I may never get to retire but sure as as anything I am not waiting for retirment time to start my projects, as you said it's only a heartbeat or lack of that makes the decision, enjoy your hobby now later may never come. I should know I came close to it a few years ago.
Charlie

D.H.B.&&Doing His Best

12 years 5 months ago #66921 by
jeez fellas ...did i step on some kind of landmine or what!!

everyone's got an opinion and you're welcome to jump into phils head any time you like.

cheers

More
12 years 5 months ago #66922 by ivor project
re projects im 61 first project was a 28 ford [still have it] at age 13 i have several cars and a few trucks finished but they were all done one at a time when money permitted as i said you can spend your money aquiring or restoreing eg tidy up or mega $ resto your choise at least you get to drive and enjoy the vehicle ! my partner for 40 years has allways supported my habit but ithink she would draw the line if it was a shop full of idle projects gathering dust . theres 3 types in this deal doers, gunners, and hoarders your pick!

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds