Skip to main content

peterbilts,then and now

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #76590 by
Replied by on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
god i hope they were empty doubles! ;D ;D ;D ;

the poor old six inline was good for 215 neddy's in these company owned jiggers ...and by the time i'd got to own one.... only got lazier as they got older !..(no offence meant to the old girl)

...stuck 24 ton on it's back one afternoon, tri axle (even worse for rolling resistance), hot day and she'd been battling all day...

i didn't think there was much of a climb past broadmeadows on pascoe vale road but here i am in about low third in the 10 speed roadranger and at the time being single lane...all sorts of ''compliments''!

finally reached the crowd ,unloaded, tidied up and by this time, about 7.30 in the evening...the cool was setting in.

it was like jeckyll and hyde..absolutely flew home, free of its shackles, screeeeeamin' its head off and ready for another days' slog.

it was an honest old thing (ch/no 22030)...cheers

ps .. the caltex truck pictured is ch/no 22032

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #76591 by
g'day all .. just noticed that this thread was about to fall off the first page, so i thought we better chuck it back up the top again ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

...352rhd wants to see if we can get 117 replies to this topic (that's the amount of petes that came into aus between 1963 and 1966) so i reckon there's a chance we can get there with a few more stories, pics, or whatever

i'm a shocker at trying to post photo's so if anyone wants to put them up, i may be able to help out with a story behind the pic.

cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago #76592 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
You just need more practice Detecta...
C'mon don't be shy..

chocs 8-)

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #76593 by

what a shame to see a classic cabover in the weeds. i know of the 2 6x6 peterbilts,one is still together and the other was heavily changed over the years. also one of the OD&E peterbilts is still very much original last sighting but not working,out in a yard. a classic truck.

g'day dieselman .. the OD&E peterbilt 351 STL in the yard is ch/no 17785 (idstbc)...a short wheelbase version of the five they operated.

...cheers

ps...and your right chocs, but i need about a month of sundays (with no interruptions) to get my head into this place as i reckon computers ( at least that photo posting bit) looks like serious hard brain strain.... ;D ;D :-? :-? :'(

More
12 years 1 month ago #76594 by jimbo51

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #76595 by
g'day jimbo51 .. that cat powered pete was ch/no 16110 and the second truck by unit number into the cannington fleet and operated out of the banksmeadows terminal in sydney in early 1964

their other day cab COE peterbilt was a 220 powered unit doing similar work (ch/no 16109)

these cannington pair were somewhat revolutionary in being in amongst the first trucks in this country to use tubeless aluminium (or steel for that matter) highway style truck rims...

thanks jimbo and cheers.

More
12 years 1 month ago #76596 by PCT
Replied by PCT on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
Hi All,
Here's a couple of shots of a 1673B to go with Jimbo's Advert. :) There is a great shot of the pair of these Cannington CALTEX Peterbilts parked together.. I have a copy and I'll try and get it up soon. :) ;)

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark

More
12 years 1 month ago #76597 by PCT
COPY AERODYNE!! Heres the photo I promised you last week. :)

Robbie Green took this photo of your Peterbilt one morning in heavy fog in August/Sept 99 soon after having the agitator removed and being fitted up as a water cart.

Sorry for the delay Chappo. :) ;)

More
12 years 1 month ago #76598 by PCT
G'Day everyone, As mentioned in replies #34 & #35, here is the two Cannington COE Peterbilt CALTEX Tankers. This Photo was supplied by Phil Geer.

Left #16110 Cannington P/L Truck 2. 352A 1673B CAT, 8016-5B 4X4, SQHD 6.17:1, 63" Cab. In service 1.4.64.

Right #16109 Cannington P/L Truck 1 352A NH220 Cummins, 8016-5B 4X4, SQHD 6.17:1, 63" Cab. In service 1.3.64.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #76599 by
g'day PCT and all .. both of the cannington cabovers have been reduced to bare bones with all that's remaining is the re-chassied 16109 steel rails, crossmembers and some components, along with the RSOA 365 (rubber block suspension) with 10 stud rockwells and front axle assembly from ch/no 16110...making that enough to be called ''a project''

...throw in the ex ted ferguson 63 inch cab (was ch/no 19341) and the I.D. plate from 16109 and there is the re-born genesis of one of these once very proud trucks

cheers

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds