Skip to main content

peterbilts,then and now

More
12 years 1 week ago #76610 by 48Bedford
Hi Detective, Yeah had a quick chat with owners son who drove it for years said it was originally a rigid working as a refueller for the airforce then converted to a prime mover tanker later. Had some great stories to tell-I love country folk!
-D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 week ago #76611 by
Replied by on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
nah 48' .. she's always been a prime mover, first operated in with caltex oil in 1966 doing local servo's and a bit of country vic.

will soon post a pic or two in her days prior to john stackpoole's ownership....cheers

More
12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #76612 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: peterbilts,then and now
Note: not disputing anyones story here...

John Stacpoole had that truck at Clunes in 2011.
He told me that there were 2 trucks built RHD in the states and that they were shipped here 'as is' to service the Mirage aircraft..
Is that section of information accurate as to their history?

thank you
chocs 8-)

12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #76613 by
Here's another photo I found on HANKS TRUCK PICTURES -
This is the notation with the photo -
1963 model Peterbilt 351 which started it's life in Australia with Altrans working in quarries in western Sydney. IT has been restored and is owned by Barry Chadwick of Lithgow

PHOTO TAKEN BY -

Richard Mohr Truck Collection

Richard works for the Freightliner dealer in Kempsey in Australia

12 years 1 week ago - 12 years 1 week ago #76614 by
g'day chocs .. these caltex jiggers may have been utilised in all kinds of unusual applications...including servicing those mirage fighters...

three were bought in as factory ordered units (ch/no's 22030 and 22032 melbourne and 22031 sydney) and delivered to them in early 1966 from peterbilt australia..

hope that helps...cheers

More
12 years 1 day ago #76615 by prodrive
Not sure where this photo came from, Detective will know though! Great looking classic truck thats for sure...Is it the one that was for sale recently?

12 years 1 day ago #76616 by
g'day prodrive .. that old girl is the old boland truck, originally sold to them and operated out of dubbo.. (ch/no 19185) and is not the one that has been recently advertised

it had a prang years later and ended up with the cabin from another old cabover that originally belonged to G L Stevens of darwin (on fuel tanker operations ch/no 17794))...

so like a lot of these old girls she's a bit like grandads axe...(five new handles and three new heads ;D ;D) and just by the look of her appearance....plenty of good years to come....cheers

More
11 years 11 months ago #76617 by Cunning Stunt
Here's a couple I got out of an early 80's book shown below. A mate gave it to me over the weekend, some great period shots. Love the green cabover.............

Some play hard to get

More
11 years 11 months ago #76618 by Cunning Stunt
Finally got my photo's back up >:(

Some play hard to get

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #76619 by
g'day cunning .. we are a patient bunch ;D ;D ;D ;D

keith aitkens COE peterbilt is ch/no 16925..a 352 M..

..the alltrans conventional was owned at the time of that pic by ''dutchy'' polder (ch/no 20314)...originally a 281 m 4X2 and then 6X2 pusher...

..hope that helps...cheers :) :)

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds