Skip to main content

Transport names from yesterday..

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96842 by dunk

There was Taylor Dalton Freight Lines who were taken over by Hartridge who were then taken over by Mayne Nickless.

Vaughan ended up with Taylor Dalton according to Gerry Vaughan Jnr

Marinec tpt
master car from Adelaide
Scoresby tpt
Garden City
Mannway
Mercury tpt
Astor tpt
Combined tpt
Greens tpt
TDG
Kirkman
Laytons
Macca's
Benton Daly
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by dunk.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #96843 by inter mission
John Rule tpt Betts tpt Gloucester Eyers Bros Toowoomba. Bolch tpt Toohills tpt Bateups. Lex Gordon Narrabri. A.B.M . BNB. Meurs. Fletchers Freighters. De Groot Haulage

More
11 years 5 months ago #96844 by trucknut
L.A.Drury haulage Taree
Taree Ready Mixed Concrete
Foster Ready Mixed Concrete
Gloucester Ready Mixed Concrete
Taree Freightlines
Wallamba Transport
These companies were all aquired by Farley and Lewers
in the early 1980s.Which then became Readymix Farley
then CSR Readymix then Readymix Rinker ,then Cemex
and Holcim.

Now I will try and list as many other carriers in and around the Taree ,and surrounding districts still in operation and also not in operation.
Taree area;
Manning Valley Freighters (Jumbo Collier)
Byrnes Transport
Bill Baines general carrying
Joe Tyler tpt Wingham
Witmills Forster
Fazio Transport Tuncurry
Ray Reed Transport Taree
B.J.Drury Haulage Taree
B.S @C.A Bignall Carrying Taree
Llyod Bignall Carrying Taree
Manning Valley Refrigerated tpt Taree
H.G.Watson Earthmoving and Heavy Haulage Wingham
Darrell Bartlet logging Lansdowne
Hurd Haulage Laurieton now part Hytec
Camden Haven Freightlines Kendall
Ross Glen Haulage
Leytonstone Concrete Wauhope and Port Macquarie now Boral
Slaters Logging Wauchope
Blair and Thurling Port Macquarie sold out to TNT
Neville Hollis Tpt Wauchope
Tom Minter tpt Port Macquarie
Hastings Concrete Wauhope now Hytec
Numix Concrete Port Macquarie now Holcim
Will add more as time goes by

More
11 years 5 months ago #96845 by gidgeajack
re lex gordon ,worked for lex for a short time 1980/81..he was a top old fella,didnt believe in air cond. or sleeper bunks though, pulled the pass. seat out and fitted a large toolbox with an upholstered cushion/mattress..anyway his son in law bought a new louisville with a bunk AND an a/c on the roof,when he got to narrabri the young fella took lex out for a look ....,lex reckoned "christ boy your getting flash " to which the young fella replied "well dad they are landing man on the moon these days"

John Rule tpt Betts tpt Gloucester Eyers Bros Toowoomba. Bolch tpt Toohills tpt Bateups. Lex Gordon Narrabri. A.B.M . BNB. Meurs. Fletchers Freighters. De Groot Haulage

More
11 years 5 months ago #96846 by dunk
Kenco
Sandmar
Seatons
Fast Freight
Mole tpt
H.E.Heathers

More
11 years 5 months ago #96847 by sharon
What about Westerns who had a depot in Port Melbourne. What became of them?

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #96848 by fageol100
Bugly911, do you know who bought RMD Transport? You also mentioned Heaton's Transport from Tauranga. Heatons merged with Provincial Transport from Paeroa in about 1989 to form Provincial Heatons. A later merger with Thames Freightlines created Provincial Freightlines which was bought by Linfox.-Hamish Petrie
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by fageol100.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96849 by BK

What about Westerns who had a depot in Port Melbourne. What became of them?

They were taken over by Bell from WA, good spot they had there, right beside the pub.

Has anyone mentioned the oldest transport company.....Cobb & Co, they had a depot in south Bris in the early 60's, ran some commers with timber sides.

Trust me

More
11 years 4 months ago #96850 by Bugly

Bugly911, do you know who bought RMD Transport? You also mentioned Heaton's Transport from Tauranga. Heatons merged with Provincial Transport from Paeroa in about 1989 to form Provincial Heatons. A later merger with Thames Freightlines created Provincial Freightlines which was bought by Linfox.-Hamish Petrie

Hi Hamish - sorry so late in replying. I used to knock around a bit with Gary and Sue Rorison in Tauranga in my younger days. I believe that later when Gary's dad Ian died Gary took over running the family business, and eventually bought it. Moving forward quite a few years, unfortunately Gary passed on, and I am led to believe that it is still a family company but headed by one of Gary's sons. IDSTBC though! :)

I moved to Australia in 1982, so was unaware of how Heatons ended up. A mate of mine was a driver on the Auckland-Tauranga run. I remember Heatons in the 1960s had a few 'O' or 'M' model Bedfords as local delivery trucks.

(Light-bulb flashes here!) I just remembered that Heatons used to have a depot at the 'Redoubt' (Dive Cescent) end of The Strand in the 1950s, and that they used to deliver sacks of coal in the winter. Off the truck, over the driver's shoulder, and dropped off wherever the customer wanted it!

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
11 years 4 months ago #96851 by fageol100
Thanks for your reply Bugly911-Hamish Petrie

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds