Skip to main content

Re: Cannington -- PCT -- CCT -- PCT Road Lines P/L.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74902 by PCT

Bigcam.

Thanks Bigcam, for this, Wonder were the Banner ended up? What a great photo!

This looks to be the ACF Shirleys Ltd. Peterbilt A 281ST (single drive) #16748 NH220 Cummins, 8016-5B 4 X 4 and R230 5.29:1. In Service 9.11.64 so the records show.

The COE behind must be (Correction) Detective has informed me that it is the Cannington EARTHMOVERS COE
#15987 352M NH250 Cummins 8016-5B SQHD 5.29:1

I can see it now with the light on, Cannington. I took it for granted it was Caringbah Haulage, but couldnt work out MOVERS on the left front of the cab.
My next move was to ask the Detective what that meant. All explained now and my mistake.
Thank you D

Who can tell us all more of where the show was held? :)

Plus can we see any photos of the trucks?

G'Day D, Thanks for setting me straight. I corrected what I'd written earlier and you'll see my amendment above.
Thanks.

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74903 by bigcam
Well guys, I'd love to answer all your questions and more regarding the picture, but unfortunatly I can't. The bloke who gave me that picture over 30 years ago, from my vague recollection told me that they were the first Pete's in OZ, mind old mate loved to tell a story so I have no idea, anyway, the chap was from the Gippsland area, sdo I'd guess Melbourne first with a possiblity of Sydney. Nice to see it's got a bit of interest. Hopefully PCT it will be just one of a few pics that people have stashed away. Be intersting to see where this topic goes and what it unviels.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74904 by
VFA .. there's a reason for having only half a sunvisor...going down the incline into the pit at tarrago made it difficult to see what may have been coming up, so only the drivers half was lopped....suits me at the moment because the other half will act as the mirror for a full visor! :)

ps PCT, nick khoury's 335 ended her days in the belconnan tip in canberra where, on water cart duties she rolled down an embankment and from there was parted out some time in the late 'eighties :'( :'( :'(

More
12 years 2 months ago #74905 by Scummy
G,day , about 5-6 years ago i worked with a bloke named , Don Johnston and when i told him i had a soft spot for pete's he told me he worked for pct . He gave me a couple of picks and another couple photocopied picks , here's two for tonight the rest will come during the week ,Scummy.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74906 by VFA
Detective. Thanks for the old pics,looks like she's aging as well as me.Don Johnson a hell of a nice bloke.His brother Ted also a top fella was a mechanic alongside Cato & Howard Broad rip. It was a great place to work as the blokes who ran were ex truckies from the old school. In all the time that i worked there I was never docked a minutes pay. Getting back on line there was only 4 peterbilts sold to K. MART [kingston] nos 4,6,7,10.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74907 by PCT
G'Day Scummy, Thats Truck 3. Frank Burkes original Peterbilt #19428 Within the Companies, It went into Copper City Transports livery first and PCT Road Lines livery later.. The same truck shown with Max Hickeys COE in the Truck Show Photos. Cobbs 352A. I worked with Don Johnston too at ANL before he and his family moved to Paraburdoo sometime around 81? Bernie Hart was our Transport Manager and from time to time PCT would surface in conversation, more often than not and I was all ears. It was obvious it was a special time in their lives.

I had admired PCT's Peterbilts ever since I arrived in Sydney a few years earlier. One day I'd got back to the yard and there was a trailer to pick up at Fruehauf and I think Bernies ute was there also. We climbed in with Donny to pick them up. It was the Ex Arthur Gillott's LWB KW Slimline 1973-4? with the painted tri axle tipper. Taper nosed 335 13 Sp with SQDD's and Hendrickson out of one of the Highway Haulage 352ST's. I dont know for sure which one but I always thought it be the one W/O at Bolivia. It was a good truck, a little slow but then you could stack it on to make up for time. I remember Donny suggesting to Bernie it needs a birthday in the front end and it got done. I spent some time in it after he left for WA doing local when I came off the highway.

Off topic I know but I was about 23/4 sitting in the middle on the engine cover, shouted them each a smoke and Don was keeping everything in check and
with some reminiscing of the past and me wondering how many miles these two had notched up in the Peterbilts and the Hayes, I was thinking, it doesn't get much better than this.

Frank and Max said Don was at Careys in Tamworth and Bernie was at Mannering Park. I hope they are well and would enjoy seeing them again. :)

Scummy Heres a shot that I think you'll enjoy, Big Darryl told me about your connection with Express Freight.
I'm guessing this would be #1616919 282M Original Blair & Reiber, GNJ Freight Lines Dee Why. Detective!!! :)

This Photo Supplied by Bill Moline.

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark

More
12 years 2 months ago #74908 by myflint69

I took this pic at 10 Darling Harbour in Sydney in the early 70's, driver was Bill ??

1969 Mack R600.
1969 C1600 Inter.
1964 MF 35 Tractor.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74909 by
...laurie o'neil told me a tale years ago of how he, long after the whole peterbilt australia saga, was following one of the PCT peterbilts through the blue mountains...big, wide load and just a two lane highway.

what caught him was that the driver never put a wheel over any marked line, and kept the flow of power moving properly at all times..could see the smoke and hear the changes,.. but was mightily impressed with this show of driver ability.

...and i was mightily impressed with his memories...cheers

More
12 years 2 months ago #74910 by Chocs

...laurie o'neil told me a tale years ago of how he was following one of the PCT trucks through the blue mountains...big, wide load and just a two lane highway.

what caught him was that the driver never put a wheel over any marked line, and kept the flow of power moving properly at all times..could see the smoke and hear the changes,.. but was mightily impressed with this show of driver ability.

...and i was mightily impressed with his memories...cheers

Thanks for that Detecta....
Sounds like that one had an Operator at the helm...not just a driver ;)
Certainly blokes that would do a company proud!
Hat tipped....

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 2 months ago #74911 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds