Skip to main content

Re: Cannington -- PCT -- CCT -- PCT Road Lines P/L.

12 years 2 months ago #74892 by
Swishy

Its good to hear Grenfell34 (sorry Guest) is still lurking around and still contributing (via others).

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74893 by VFA
TRUE STORY.Gerry Flanders from early 70's was en route to mt isa quite heavy ;D when broke down along comes kev in the 450 pulling a double he hooks on to gerry &tows him. When Gerry gets home he says to Frank Bourk &Max Hickey I now know the difference between the 450&the 250 Max says what's that & Gerry says 100 TON

More
12 years 2 months ago #74894 by bigcam
Here's about the only old Peterbilt photo I have.

12 years 2 months ago #74895 by
Hang on Bigcam, I think PCT & Detective just backfliped off there chairs.Great old pic ,wouldn,t you love to have the banner hanging in the shed at home. :D ;D

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74896 by PCT
Thanks for passing this through to all Swishy. :)
Firstly Kirky - Grenfell 34, Thanks for the input and knew you'd like to add to this.
It would be a memorable highlight of of your time with Cummins. Certainly would have been a pleasure to spanner it for KR / even including the difficulties he encountered in the early stages.
Does this mean you never let anyone else near it Grenfell? ;D ;D Secondly--- No mate, I like Cummins, I like them all.
They all suit their applications, some better than others. They wouldnt be around today if they weren't any good! Tell us some more G 34. Thank you :) ;)

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PCT.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74897 by PCT
Bigcam.

Thanks Bigcam, for this, Wonder were the Banner ended up? What a great photo!

This looks to be the ACF Shirleys Ltd. Peterbilt A 281ST (single drive) #16748 NH220 Cummins, 8016-5B 4 X 4 and R230 5.29:1. In Service 9.11.64 so the records show.

The COE behind must be (Correction) Detective has informed me that it is the Cannington EARTHMOVERS COE
#15987 352M NH250 Cummins 8016-5B SQHD 5.29:1
I can see it now with the light on, Cannington. I took it for granted it was Caringbah Haulage, but couldnt work out MOVERS on the left front of the cab.
My next move was to ask the Detective what that meant. All explained now and my mistake.
Thank you D

Who can tell us all more of where the show was held? :)

Any photos of the trucks?

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PCT.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74898 by
VFA, ..your old peterbilt is in safe hands and is very much as you climbed out of her in 1980, having spent the next twenty odd years down at the woodlawn coal mine at tarrago, near goulburn.

they used it as their recovery unit, if in case a mine truck became disabled down in the pit, so occasionally the situation arose whereby it would be sent down to retrieve the dumper, loader, or whatever and with the 250 horsepower cummins and compound spicer, would on occasion bring up gear that would make even a KT450 blush ;) ;D....otherwise she would sit up besides the mine workshop waiting for the next disaster to happen!

...still has its original 1964 250 cummins and still with the factory fitted jakes..4X4spicer, PCT bullbar and everything else pretty much as when you were putting miles on her ...even though it has had a big oscillator fitted and a big volvo hub reduction rear end...but the wheelbase has not altered since all of the float work in with PCT and kingstons

here she is waiting for her next job at the mine..phillip geer photo www.flickr.com/photos/76760248@N04/6900979565/in/photostream/

and here she is today www.flickr.com/photos/76760248@N04/6900977365

...we should be able to do a ''then and now'' with these worthy beasts although it would probably take me forever... at my rate ;D ;D

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by bigcam.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74899 by
g'day PCT .. the cabover in behind shirleys 4X2 is none other than ch/no 15987...firstly displayed with the ''cannington EARTHMOVERS'' name, sold to elsons in adelaide, then a stint with southern tpt of willunga SA then on to become kevin costellos' mount when in with copper city tpt.

i believe kev costello drove this truck for CCT before being offered to purchase it...which he then did.

kevin costello died in this truck in an extremely unfortunate accident...R.I.P.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 2 months ago #74900 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 2 months ago #74901 by PCT
VFA Detective and All, VFA Heres your side of truck 10 from Detectives photos. Have photo's of 10 to bring up also.
Please share some more stories with us VFA, Some of them cant be told any longer. :( and at our ages now, we are reminded far too frequently. By the way How many road bosses were bought in those early days of Kingston? We watched as the Kingston trucks started to grow in numbers from that changover time. :)

Then and now shots are the go Detective. Whos got a new shot to throw up of the ACF Shirleys truck. I can help with a reasonably current one of it waiting for birthday. She still runs fine, Not as bad as it looks. Still all original with the addition of the pusher axle in Chemtrans livery.

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds