Skip to main content

Re: Cannington -- PCT -- CCT -- PCT Road Lines P/L.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74842 by Cunning Stunt
I was looking at that as well Swish O mighty, says that it is imported Brown bodies from the States. Last thing I expected to see out here

Some play hard to get

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #74843 by
yeah swishy...cook bodies in the USA built them for all kinds of operations over there, and this set-up was a fully imported unit ordered initially for another o'neil operation called riverview sands...

...fair dinkum ..these people had more moves than a can of worms!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 2 months ago #74844 by Swishy

Jist drift n off topic a bit
RE : Transfer dump truck
for the uninitiated

[img

Clikity clikclikclik

wot U dont C iz:
a electric winch to drag body
a engine starter button mounted @ rear of truck
shut down engine in reverse gear with the engine stop out/engaged with no parking brake applied n wind the truck back in gear to hook up trailer

U may ask why dont they use the ozzy way of truck n dog etc
me B guessin th@ the industry in Yanky land iz set up for tranfer dump trucks

Cya
[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74845 by PCT

PCT
Gudday M8

Most float goosenecks have them gussets where the bends R to keep everything in shape az Big C sez
they do look a little amateurish where they R placed but it looks like it duz the job
here B a vertical tank up @ the Upper Thomas dam ( 1977..? )
me thinks they pump liquid nitrogen in to the concrete agitators to make the concret go off Faster/Slower (dunno 4 gotten)

Cya
[ch9787]

Yeah Swish Thats the logical way to brace a channel outside boxing it eh!. I just noticed that in one of the photos the early float didnt have as many gussets as the later photo's making me wonder what age it would have been.

Re the Thomas Dam Job, Would that be something to do with low heat cement around that time? We used low heat for a dam up this way but their was no nitrogen tank in sight. only water. ;D

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PCT.

More
12 years 2 months ago #74846 by PCT
Rex, Heres one of your Road Bosses, I took this at Hexham some time ago. Could this one be identified and or, did it replace which Peterbilt?

More
12 years 2 months ago #74847 by PCT
G'Day Rex and All, Once again, photos speak volumes.

Sorry these didn't down load larger. In need of a new scanner and I'll redo them individually. Rex Andrews made mention of Millen Donovan in his post. Millens name often comes up when there is a conversation on PCT or Peterbilts.

Top--- Shows Millens Peterbilt. Truck 7 reads---- Enroute to Oakey Creek with 40 Ton Drag Line Bucket.

He's always been held in the highest regard. This shot here of him cooking up a storm.

reads--- DINING OUT Millen & Clarky outside Gooniwindi Truck Blockade.

Bottom.--- Truck Blockade Millen Donovan & Allen Clarke. Left--- Truck 3 #19428 Frank Burkes Original 281 ST Peterbilt and Truck 7 #19422 right.

Today it would be a motel with the 60" bunk parked out the front. ;D

More
12 years 2 months ago #74848 by PCT
I have a few more shots to add to this Oakey Creek trip which I'm sure you'll like. I need to scan them as I haven't got them on the computer at present.

I'll redo them together. The scanner's dropped a walking beam.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74849 by PCT
My guess is that this is Millen Donovan, in 7 on Victoria Rd delivering a 150 Ton Haulpak to the Wharves.

Any Info anyone has will help the description.

Lower Shot.
Truck 5 is following with the body. It was affectionately coined "Catbilt" after Frank Catlin PCT's Mechanic who built the Peterbilt up from a damaged ex AFL Peterbilt in the corner of the workshop.. Just making a correction here with advice from the Detective. Most of us familiar with PCT, were aware that Frank Catlin built a peterbilt in the corner of the workshop when time permitted.

What I wrote earlier is off the mark. Frank Catlins conversation with Detective some years ago states that a damaged Peterbilt #17789 Ex AFL 351A came into the workshop with extensive damage to underneath after leaving the road and plowing through tree stumps. Cato is responsible for rebuilding the truck to what you see below with the Haulpak body en route to the wharves.

It was a spare time exercise in the corner of the workshop and its intended purpose was a to be a local horse. Apparently she was rego'd and out the gate to Brisbane the same day.

Its also had a colorful life and today its the purple and white one you may have see during the grain season. Its just been in the paint shop recently and scored a new livery, waiting to get a shot of it to put up also on one of the other boards.. bigcam can steer me there hopefully..

More
12 years 2 months ago #74850 by PCT
Here you go Detox ;D Swishy, Cunning and All,

Heres the the 60's Australian static version of Swishys youtube on the transfer dump minus @ Hole operator.
Its easy to see why people are puzzled with the transfer dump exercise as opposed to a rigid tipper and dog trailer combination we have here, that makes much more sense.

When I queried it years ago, It was explained to me that they were primarily built to service road making machines and with the rocky mtns etc in the States you could imagine the stop start, inching forward process would be disasterous for the equipment, so this method was devised to eliminate the obvious mayhem that would occur with the coupled weight.

The outfit would be driven what ever distance to the road building site, uncoupled, the rigid would go tip/feed the machine, then return and transfer and repeat the task.

It may have made sense to The Oniells back then to bring it in with all the road building that was taking place in and around Sydney.
Just a thought. :)

Secondly I too reckon that this truck--- Truck 8 #17790 went straight to Kulnura from Cannington P/L and was sentenced to light duties ;D for however long it was there and upon return was painted in PCT Road Lines Livery and rejoined the fleet as Truck 10.

Does anyone know if it left from Silverwater or did it leave town from Pitt St Merrylands?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #74851 by PCT
A little off topic, but I think your Dad would remember this one Cunning! Supplied by Phil Geer. This was the 379 of the day---- 351ST #17727 Tony Harbutts 335 Cummins powered Peterbilt.

Based in Ermington. Aerodyne knows where it lived. Circle H. It was coupled to a purpose built trailer with three main beams to cart anything anywhere, was his plan and relying on an over length permit at the time to operate.

Apparently the powers to be fell short of continuing the arrangement and things went downhill from there. He then traded it continued in a COE Kenworth 335 Cummins powered. Unfortunately the Peterbilt was written off some years later.

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds