Skip to main content

AECs and Albions

More
10 years 4 months ago #105932 by cemeNTepede
Replied by cemeNTepede on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Legendary! I've never heard of a 4 wheel version before.
Notice also that,probably thanks to T&BT,it's shown as a 'Super' Beaver.
A handle usually reserved for bonneted Beavers.
Thanks for that Werkhorse.

Welcome any info or pictures of 60s Australian AEC Mustangs (Leyland Comet lookalikes)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #105933 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Bit more from 1965 ...

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by werkhorse.

More
10 years 4 months ago #105934 by fageol100
Replied by fageol100 on topic Re: AECs and Albions

'ere tiz .....July 1965

Interesting picture Werkhorse-at first glance you'd think it was a Comet or Super Comet-then you notice the big tanker on behind and think that would be expecting a bit much from a Comet. You also notice the Maudslay hub and modified rear portion of the guard. Truck and Bus sure is a great source of information from the old days.

More
10 years 4 months ago #105935 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Bit off topic fageol old mate but those Beaver hubs are Leyland manufacture.
In about 72 Leyland started fitting the smaller Maudsley reduction hub diffs to various models. (tandem drive Crusader and so on)
Then Rockwell bought the Maudsley axle division from Leyland and eventually Meritor ate up Rockwell's interest.
But back in those 60's days, you had the massive Leyland reduction hub diff as fitted to the Buffalo, the big hub reduction diff as fitted to Beaver, Hippo and Octopus and the small hub reduction diff as fitted to the Albion Reiver, Clydesdale etc.

More
10 years 3 months ago #105936 by 3800
Replied by 3800 on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Not sure it has ever been illegal to sleep in the cab in the UK. Many drivers did by placing a board across the cab so enabling them to pocket their digs money.
Believe it or not saw a driver doing just this on an old ERF A series as late as 1993. The problem was that to park up in laybys in the UK required the driver to leave their parking lights on all night thus draining the batteries. This is still the case but most police forces turn a blind eye. However, turning full circle Norfolk & Suffolk Constabulary and Essex Constabulary are now charging drivers who do not display lights whilst parked up after god knows how many years of not doing so. Of course this now means that truck service areas get quickly filled at night. You try getting into one after 18:00. As regards Sleeper cabs on 60s UK cabs they did exist. Spiers of Melksham certainly fitted them on their AECs and Jennings (an ERF subsidiary) made them for ERFs and I believe Atkinsons.
Of course sleeper cab conversions were expensive and it was the gaffers that didn't want to pay for them even though they were available to an extent. I suspect the main reason that they became more widely spread in the UK was that they were standard fitment on continental trucks and at the time British manufacturers were quoting long lead times on orders whereas Continental manufacturers were willing to provide trucks straight of the production line.
It is easy to blame the British manufacturers but in output terms many of the companies were small fry compared to the likes of Mercedes, Mack, et al.

10 years 3 months ago #105937 by
Replied by on topic Re: AECs and Albions
'Here's one
since I found some pics of the old Mack on another site
I don't mind once you put it on the net it's there for everbody
I borrowed one of their site

[IMG

10 years 3 months ago #105938 by
g'day old dog .. one of Heggies old bangers?....

10 years 3 months ago #105939 by

g'day old dog .. one of Heggies old bangers?....

started as Lennon Towers bought out by Heggies

More
9 years 10 months ago #105940 by ERF
Replied by ERF on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Jennings also offered a fibreglass sleeper conversion for Ergomatic cabs.

[IMG

As a point of interest, the steel factory Ergo sleeper cabs fitted to AEC chassis had hydraulic tilt rams, no need to pull them up with another truck!

More
9 years 10 months ago #105941 by BK
Replied by BK on topic Re: AECs and Albions
I'm not clued up on these pommie trucks, I drove a Albion reever for 2 weeks in the mid 60's. It was owned by J N Nicholson and had an agitator on it for Classified Concrete at Westend in Brissy.
Had a second stick on the rear wall of the cab (a real elbow banger till you got used to it), but you could only split the lower gears and was still a big jump to top.....end of memory.

Trust me

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds