Skip to main content

AECs and Albions

More
9 years 10 months ago #105942 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Read with interest some of the forum re AEC/Albions. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the "blue triangle" even if they were a handful!
This may not be right section to ask a few questions, but I am sure I can be redirected. Saw reference to an A.E.C V8 engine, firstly although I had heard, but never seen one, then read how they were considered a 'disaster', but without really saying why. The photo was shown in NZ, but would imagine they would have been thin on the ground over here in OZ?

And again, and i reckon one of the cousins from the omnibus section would be able to put me right here, when Ansett were importing/assembling their famous rear engined "Clipper", did they ever utilise any other engine than G.M? Mate who was a mechanic for Brambles many years ago, told me of Clippers , or at least one, being fitted with a V6 Marguiz-Deutz air cooled engine and indeed another with an A.E.C V8. Considering the sheer numbers of coaches running in Ansett-Pioneer, I would have thought it unlikely that they would have deviated from the norm. More chance of them having these different engines retrofitted after Sir Reg got rid of them. Know a bloke who did his spanner apprenticeship at Hamilton (Vic) depot, but he tells me that by his time, just about all of the older clippers had been replaced. He thought that there may have been one kept at the Hamilton airport, more for a static display than anything. I have seen one or two of the old Clippers done up as mobile homes in the past few years, but suppose the majority have gone the way of button-up boots. To the great iron graveyard in the sky!

Cheers, Dave 64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #105943 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: AECs and Albions
From what I have read they had crankshaft bearing problems,too small or something. Regards John

More
9 years 10 months ago #105944 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Some info here: www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68096
You'd have to ask why did they bother?
It didn't offer too much Hp, was released before it was ready and combined with the fixed head wonders, was probably the final nail in the Leyland coffin.

More
9 years 10 months ago #105945 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: AECs and Albions
The old beaver of Sutherlands Kyabram was bought off Carnation Milk Co. Merrigum my dad snowy blunden drove it from new.

gus

9 years 10 months ago #105946 by
Replied by on topic Re: AECs and Albions
...thanks for that very special info gus, as there is really bugger all known about these locally modified jobs :) :)

More
9 years 10 months ago #105947 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: AECs and Albions
Gday Dave, Ansett ran a lot of Deutz engines in the early days, I wrote an article about them once for the yearbook. Cant remember which issue but someone might have a copy handy.

More
9 years 10 months ago #105948 by Dave_64
Hi Pete,
Yeah, do remember the Ansett Deutz's prime movers, either Saturn's or Jupiter's I think, had the large rocket on the grille.

But were any of the Ansett Clipper coaches powered by either the Deutz or A.E.C engines?

Getting back to A.E.C's though, there was one stuck in a yard at Fyansford (Geelong) for many years, I think it may have been ex-Brit army, sure it was a 6X6. Maybe Tim from Geelong may know what happened to it, painted yellow, may have even belonged to Hoare Brothers? Don't know what it was used for, may have had a tipper body glued to it at one stage, possibly been cut up for scrap by now. Probably used as a general purpose quarry truck or on the deviation at the cement works? Someone will know.

Cheers, Dave 64

More
9 years 10 months ago #105949 by jeffo
I went on the Ansett coach from Brisbane city out to the airport many times in their Clipper which was Deutz powered.
I thought a V6? it really sat you back in the seat.

More
9 years 10 months ago #105950 by Dave_64
Thanks Jeffo,

About what era do you reckon? Early mid 60's?

That may tie in with what that mate was telling me, after coming off line-haul, they were used as airport shuttle coaches.

Cheers, Dave 64

More
9 years 10 months ago #105951 by jeffo
Still used up here in the early 70's as airport shuttles.
Usually very few passengers so they really scooted along.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds