Skip to main content

Sometimes Sayings.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225002 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Morris,

The Chinese also ran restaurants.

Admittedly there weren't too many restaurants of any persuasion in the '50's.

We didn't have a long drop we had a "chocolate wheel" dunny. This had a rotating plate. where you would now find the water trap, connected to the seat lid so that when you had finished you shut the lid and the disc rotated and the nasties were scrapped off by a blade. I wouldn't want he job of adjusting the blade.

The result was composted in a pit that was emptied every few years. I can clearly remember the crew jumping into the pit and scooping up the gelatinous mass in night cans and taking them away. Didn't smell so it can't have been too bad.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225008 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Zuffen I had forgotten about Chinese restaurants. Maybe because living in the country we did not have any. My Inlaws talked about taking their billy or saucepan to the Chinese and getting enough for a meal for a family of three for one shilling and threepence or was it one and ninepence, I am not sure.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
2 years 7 months ago #225021 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Our throne room was out the back. We had neither a long drop or weekly collection. We had a can under the seat that dad had to dig a hole and bury each week or more often if we had visitors. If the old fella was away, the task fell to my brother and me. When we first started, the can was too heavy for one of us, so we had to both carry it out to the hole we had dug. To this day, I have a chronic aversion to crap.

When it comes to food, we had the basics and ate what was put on the plate. Still hate cabbage, collieflower, spinach. Like Morris, we had toast and dripping when butter was scarce. Wasn't bad with pepper and salt. I kept chooks so we had a roast chicken dinner about once a month and as a delicacy, occasionally mum would buy half a pigs head which had been "cured". Poor mans ham.

In town we had a choice of fish and chips/ scallops, (with or without vinegar), as salt was mandatory, hamburgers and in the late '60s, a chinses restaurant opened with a menu of about ten choices. We thought we had hit the big time and the town had come of age.

Life was simpler then. We made our own fun, worked together and we all survived.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 7 months ago #225034 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Sometimes Sayings.
It wasn't until I got married that I found out that spaghetti came from anywhere but a Heinz or PMU tin. No other pasta existed before 1974. :whistle:

More
2 years 7 months ago #225039 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Sometimes Sayings.
No way we ever knew about Chinese Restaurants mainly because Ma was so racist to Asians of any kind because of WW2 and never forgot. Mind you when Ma n Pa sold up from Sydney to move up here aparently it was ok to take the money of an Asisan who bought the house. She would not comment on that!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225123 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Recently our house was purchased by a Crazy Rich Chinese.

It wasn't for sale, but was when the numbers were revealed.

More
2 years 7 months ago #225127 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Sometimes Sayings.
A mask is better than a ventilator,
Home is better than ICU, (intensive care unit)
Prevention is better than cure.

It's not Curfew it is Care For You.

To paraphrase a popular? commercial:-
"You aught to get vaccinated."

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
2 years 7 months ago #225153 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, eerfree, Mrsmackpaul, 235mack, overlander, PaulFH, husky, grandad, Zuffen, oliver1950

More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #225155 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Sometimes Sayings.
PDU,
Think cholesterol was known as suet pudding back then
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by grandad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 7 months ago #225214 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Sometimes Sayings.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, cobbadog, Dave_64, Morris, Normanby, PaulFH, husky, grandad, V8Ian, wee-allis and 1 other people also said thanks.

Time to create page: 0.641 seconds