Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 5 months ago #216190 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Good one Swishy, the tractor was a wee bit fast, but they got faster and improved as they went on. Your turn now cobbadog.

The second coming, er, no, the second running should be a hoot. Lookng forward to the next video now. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216199 by cobbadog
I might need to have the David Brown running as a back up to the McDonald. No chance of me playing an instrument, I have no rhythm or ability for making music unless it is playing a cd.
Next run will be when I have some more info to get it running smoother and with the engine out in the yard, maybe next to the CD Lister. It wont be this weekend as Dee and I are off again in the van this Thursday and home on Sunday. This will be possibly the last trip away before Christmas so we want to enjoy the van a bit more than the old one we had.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216209 by PDU
That's a coincidence so are Glenys and I, off in the van Thursday and back Sunday. SNAP!

More
3 years 5 months ago #216218 by Sarge
Must be the weather for it, us too. Then home to rebuild a tired hay baler.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 5 months ago #216559 by cobbadog
Here is the latest on this beast of a thing. Yesterday it only coughed and farted so I left it alone and had an overnight think while sleeping as we all do.
Starving for fuel was the best I could think of. So off with the fuel tank, out with the dial indicator and check the amount of lift on the injector needle. I had 0.45mm and not the 0.794mm (1/32") that it should have. So with a couple of spanners and a bucket to sit on I slowly adjusted it up then locked it in place. Made a few turns on the flywheel and double checked the lift and it had changed slightly so I adjusted it again and locked it up good n proper. Tested it again and fitted the fuel tank back on. Cranked it up and it ran for a couple of hits then stopped. From then on I could not crank it over compression so I went back to using the decompression lever and away it went for a short run then stopped.
Some dickhead did not turn the fuel on and as it was close enough to lunch I gave my shoulder a rest and me guts a feed. After lunch I put some more fuel in the tank turned the fuel on and lifted the injector needle and heard bubbles as fuel ran down and into the injector. So I tried another crank with the decompression lever and away it went and continued to run. This time it could be tamed a bit using the "speed wheel" and I got it down to running between 480 - 610 rpm. IT seems to run around the 580 - 600 then at times drops off to being down into the 480 range. Not sure at the moment if this is normal, needs running in a lot more or there is a governor issue.
Happy as a pig in shit at the moment having got this great lump of cast iron and turned it into a running engine.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, PaulFH, Zuffen, oliver1950

More
3 years 5 months ago #216560 by Oilman
Great job, good to see a project come to fruition. Wish mine would........

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216561 by asw120
Mine was a bit like that when I first got it together. I figure still a bit low on compression, hence needs 2, or 3 lots of fuel to fire. Happy to be corrected. Mine has come good and hits every time, now. I need to get something to load it with to bed the rings properly and see if the smoke goes away. I'm fairly sure mine's mostly oil smoke.

Well done!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by asw120.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216563 by PDU
Absolutely brilliant. All you needed was a weekend away and look what happens . . .

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
3 years 5 months ago #216570 by cobbadog
Hi Oilman, the spotlight will shine very brightly on you soon enough and it certainly will be bright as your restoration is so well done.
The mosquito population died off for at least a block radius and Dees little "Beeper" car suffered the McDonald measles so after playtime finished I gave Beeper a wash, boy wasn't that a good move on my behalf.
The lump of timber under the flywheel made it run smoother in the fact that it stopped the missing from happening but I will need to own a timber yard if I kept that up. Boy doesn't the rust on the flywheel rim eat timber better than a termite. I too will have to work out something to drive to load the engine up. I only have a small water pump which will not be enough I don't think.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216572 by Sarge
Had a mate who did up old phutt phutt motors, when first running, needing a load to even out the pharts, he used a length of 4x2 under or against the fly wheel, holding the long end in his hand, that bit of load mostly made them even out.

Well done with the perseverance cobba. I am all envy.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds