Skip to main content

International 554/564 Tractor

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241018 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic International 554/564 Tractor
No they are internally stuffed. I think John was referring to the electrical conection. The wire would drop the voltage to make them resist burning out for longer.

I looked at the factory testing site and they said:

Check 1 is power + to the plug terminal through a test light and earth to glow plug body (or engine if still in situ). Light on, good circuit, no light = No circuit, glow plug is finished.

Check two is, if you get a light from test 1, connect a multi meter beteen plug terminal and earth. Resistance .5 to 6 ohm OK, outside that the plug is failing.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241019 by 180wannabe
I am sorry to have misled you with preheat time Lang, and caused you trouble, but if i don't heat my tractor for approximately 40 seconds with that conversion, it won't start.

The only time we seem to burn out a glow plug or two is if we are impatient and don't preheat for long enough, then hold the heat on after the engine has fired. Once the alternator kicks in (mine is triggered by oil pressure), that seems to fry them. I have an idea the glowplugs are marked 11 volt?

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241020 by Lang
No worries Brett. You must have good quality plugs (although mine are Bosch and should be OK)

You say 11volts and that may be where my problem is as I only have 3 connected. They draw so much current that maybe having one missing ups the voltage too high.

Now the conversion is done and the threads are all clean it is no problem for two minutes a plug changeover. Can't get over how cheap they are.

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 5 months ago #241021 by JOHN.K.
The ute motors have a timer ...you can hear it click off and back on again........The old wire glow plugs had one extra plug wired in series,that was the indicator ......you could tell when the plugs were in danger of burning out by the indicator getting bright red...........I had a couple of the IHC 264 motors,and hard to start doesnt qualify .......I gather the biggest problem is the valve seats cracked ,and low compression........one I used to tip a jam tin of mixed oil and petrol down the exhaust ,and with luck the engine would start...I recall the head had something like 20 cracks in it...........I actually found a couple of good heads,but never used them
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 5 months ago #241027 by asw120
You sold them to me.
I hope I never have to use them either.
There was one good glow plug with them. It lasted one start. Oh well, Primus flame up the guts....

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
1 year 5 months ago #241029 by KelOz
Replied by KelOz on topic International 554/564 Tractor
my old d6 9u is factory direct start, no pilot motor 24 volt start and twenty four volt glow plugs, when cold 90 seconds to two minutes to fire up then if she is missing on with glow plugs again till smooths out, them cat glow plugs must be good lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 5 months ago #241032 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic International 554/564 Tractor
Lang, I feel like I mozzed you with that PM.... I think I cooked one of my glow plugs when I deleted one of the four from the circuit, I heard it go pop. But also, is your indicator glow plug on the dash (using the term loosely) ... connected into your circuit. That may effect voltage as well.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241034 by Lang
This is a pretty rough old machine. Anything on the dash, including tacho, has long disappeared. It looked like the previous owner had rigged up a wire from the plugs which you hold by hand on the positive battery terminal. I "improved" on this by putting a standard horn-type push button switch on the dash.

Having been alerted by the failures so far I will now fit new plugs when Ebay deliver and gradually work up a second at a time from 5 seconds until I get the correct time for a start. At least it is Summer in Brisbane and not Winter in the Victorian high country.

Always the heat gun. For some reason the magic spray does not work either as a light sniff or pouring it into the intake.

Lang

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #244753 by Lang
Well, something different today. Cruising along doing my Good Friday paddock slahing when an M60 machine gun opened up in front of me. Luckily I had the engine cover off as the No. 3 glo-plug was shot out of the block. We would never have known where it went except for the fact it landed on the tin roof of the neighbour's house. Paced it out at 250 metres!

I have no idea why. It is one of the Landcruiser plug conversions. I screwed in a spare plug and the thread seems OK and my calibrated wrist torque pulled it up to spec. Maybe I missed it during the conversion and did not do it up tight and it slowly unscrewed over about 5 hours running?

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #244762 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic International 554/564 Tractor
Bet you were popular with said neighbour. :lol:

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds