Skip to main content

International 554/564 Tractor

More
1 year 9 months ago #237062 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic International 554/564 Tractor
I might see if I can get it going while waiting for the Wagga Tractors gloplugs to arrive. It is a real bugger to start and needs huge amounts of ezistart when cold.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #237063 by 180wannabe
Have a look on youtube - "how the flame heater works on a Perkins diesel", and other various similar videos. They may be of some help.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 9 months ago #237064 by Swishy
try heating the air go n in the inlet
a cheap flame to warm the air is the go
C A U T I O N
do not use the flame thrower after U tried the either
it may blo u're sox off
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237065 by Lang
Look at this great idea.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
1 year 9 months ago #237067 by wee-allis
Lang, as others have said, it is flame generated heater. The fuel is supplied from a gravity feed and when powered up to voltage, there is an element inside which when hot open an inlet to let the fuel drop onto the glowing element to create flame. Same style as the one Perkins used. They work well when operating correctly.

The only problems they used to give was the element would fail or worse was if the valve failed internally, they could allow fuel to leak into the manifold while the engine is not running, until the resiviour was empty. They are easily checked when off the engine, just a fuel supply and power and see that it operating as it should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #237068 by Lang
Learning every day.

This morning my cousin, a farmer from Berrigan who owned 4 of these International A554's, tried to get the damn thing started with ezistart. The batteries whirred the engine around as fast as any vehicle I have seen. He said he used ezistart on all of his tractors for the first start of the day for 25 years and could not understand why mine did not start as he usually just used a quick sniff. Pouring the stuff in just resulted in smokey choofing. Gave up and he left to continue on his holidays

After finding that video on hot air I took the heat gun down, shoved it in the intake for maybe 40 seconds, hit the button, one turn and away she went! Drove around the paddock for 5 minutes and did two shut-offs and restart - instant noise.

I hope the Wagga gloplugs achieve the same result as I really don't want to drag leads and heat guns over the fence each time I use the tractor.

On the same line Jarrod suggested the gas can blow torch. I tried that early this morning shooting into the manifold for quite some time but no result. I figure although it is doing the same thing as the heat gun it is using all the oxygen up leaving none for combustion whereas the heat gun has the full oxygen content.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237069 by 180wannabe
Good work Lang! And yes, once warm after running it should fire up again instantly, at least within an hour or two. We used to give the original glow plugs about 20 seconds to heat, but found the Toyota conversion needs 40-45 seconds.

I have used "ezistart" at times in the past, one or two short sniffs once the engine was cranking should be adequate. I found pouring too much in made the engine hard to start.

I am confident you will be happy with the Toyota glowplug conversion.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
1 year 9 months ago #237070 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic International 554/564 Tractor
Bear in mind Lang, the electric heat gun is fan forcing hot air deeper into the intake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237081 by PaulFH
Some of the small plant the Army had with single cylinder diesel motor needed a petrol flavoured rag over the air intake to start.
Used on a badly worn Scalia V8 on the odd cool morning.
Probably not PC and more to do with poor compression from engine wear than air temperature.
Worn B & S motors used to turn over with sump up to get some oil around the rings then enough compression to fire up.
Joy of old gear.
Hope the glow plugs work a treat Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
1 year 9 months ago #237082 by cobbadog
Many years back when in road construction laying hot mix we had a pair of Case rubber tyred loaders with bad engines that needed help to start every morning. The company was so cheap they gave us a length of wire with a rag twisted on the end. Told to dip it in diesel, light it and stuff it down the intake. It did work but we were always hopeful the lot would catch on fire but never did.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds