Skip to main content

6v53 reassemble

More
6 years 10 months ago #184493 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 6v53 reassemble
So what's the consensus for sealing these leakers up - I have a full (FP) gasket kit but wondering what compounds to use if any? I was thinking of using a thin film of the red anaerobic Loctite stuff, but on one side or two? Also have Loctite 587 (the blue silicone) but don't think I should need it...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184503 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic 6v53 reassemble
Permatex #3.
Only used to use some Silicone on the V71's around the rear sandwich plate as they were prone to leaking on 1 corner. 92's had an extra bolt there to improve clamping.
Cheers Steve

• Chocs
6 years 10 months ago #184504 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic 6v53 reassemble
What does the manual say??

Loctite 510 (if thats the bright pink one)

Both sides! Or itll leak out the bare side?

Quick grip on the rocker cover side of the cork gasket, nothing on the head side.
REASON: because youll have it apart every second week. :woohoo:

More
6 years 10 months ago #184506 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 6v53 reassemble
Detroit manual says smudge smudge and more smudge in my work shop :P

As you all know Im not real smart but I find I get best results when everything is spotlessly clean and I mean like a mirror clean type of clean
I spend a lot of time cleaning these days and find I only need gasket goo (black gooey stuff) and this wont make a mess and block oil galleries

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 10 months ago #184514 by dieseldog
Replied by dieseldog on topic 6v53 reassemble
I use Loctite 515 on just about anything with a gasket. It wont set outside the joint. Supercheap do it in Permatex brand which is just as good but about half the price.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #184515 by wedgetail84
Replied by wedgetail84 on topic 6v53 reassemble
OK thanks guys, pretty sure it's 515 I have. Does permetex no3 have a loctite equivilent? Manual says to use a non hardening gasket cement - would loctite 515 or 510 fall into that?

I've found something I don't like in my block. Three of the main bearing cap threads are "rough". The threads look like they've been cut with a very blunt tap or something - the peaks are all jagged, no threads missing or stripped just not smoothe like the rest. I noticed them when putting the caps back on and one bolt wouldn't go all the way (gently using a spanner) so I inspected them all.

I ran a die through them and it didn't change the looks, but the one that stopped now goes home fine. I then torqued them up to 130 ftlbs (manual spec) and it felt good. I reckon I've got three options - don't worry, helicoil or use another block. I have an old (really old, 1950s I think) block, but it's NA obviously and mine is a turbo. I'm planning on using the N70s it came with so I reckon these threads are going to get a real work out. I'm sort of leaning on the first two... What are people's thoughts?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by wedgetail84.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184516 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 6v53 reassemble
leave it as is it will fine, if it torques up ok it will be fine

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 10 months ago #184517 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic 6v53 reassemble
Permtex is a Loctite company, Loctite Aviation Gasket Sealant. The 3 is non hardening

More
6 years 10 months ago #184521 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic 6v53 reassemble
I hate bolts in such situations, head bolts, bearing caps and so on, prefer a deeply threaded stud and nut.
Who can remember when such an application might have a stud and castellated nut, all properly tie wired.
When the boost goes way up (with a car) first thing that's replaced is your typical head bolt with ARP studs/nuts.

More
6 years 10 months ago #184522 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic 6v53 reassemble
Im with you Jeffo, first thing I do when building an engine these days(unless it is completely stock) is buy a full ARP stud kit, everything is new and accurate and warrantied.

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds