Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago #199243 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Interesting to read about the different V8’s and there suitability. Spoke to the guy I thought would know where a few are. He said he doesn’t pay any attention to trucks so isnt sure but will start paying attention. I’m not just going to rush into it so time is on my side I guess.

Adventure before Dementia.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199249 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Repco used to supply gas heads for just about anything.........but gas was very hard on truck engines if they worked hard.......I remember seeing heads with valves sunk in 1/4"from gas .Very hot running on pistons too,used to get excessive wear from expansion on the top part of the piston.....but at one time gas running of a 345 IH was way cheaper than a Perkins..........but it used a big tank every day.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199273 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Sounds like I should steer clear of anything running gas. Fortunately the amount of k’s it would be doing fuel costs shouldn’t be too much of a concern.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199285 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
My wifes last car was duak fuel. In the beginning it was economical to buy and use but you do not get the same mileage out of a litre of gas as to petrol it is less. On her car there was no noticeable loss of power so at least that was good. Now that car has been sold and replaced with a smaller car and has no need to fit LPG.
Something that we both have noticed is the cost of LPG is no longer competitive and is rising at a higher rate than petrol plus there is less service stations providing a bowser to fill up. So think it through carefully be fore committing to LPG. A good fuel injected V8 can be a;most as good on fuel as a gas one.

I'm guessing your not interested in a 6 cylinder turbo diesel? Plenty of HP and good fuel economy.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199290 by JOHN.K.
Even the forklifts at work used to use a cylinder of gas every day,which 10 yr ago was $18,and IMHO it would have been cheaper to run them on petrol.................and that doesnt allow for the morons who couldnt wait a few minutes for the vaporizer to heat up on a cold morning and would freeze them,stalling the fork in some inconvenient place...............then Paul Jeffs would start going on coul;dnt I make the forklifts reliable........yes ...by sacking the morons.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199291 by JOHN.K.
Simple fact...fuel is sold by volume ........gas weighs 5/7 of petrol.......petrol weighs 7/8 of diesel...........so therefore you are getting around half the energy value in gas to diesel.........another fact ...alcohol petrol has about 4c /liter woth of energy less than petrol..........therefore if E10 isnt 4c/l less ,you are wasting money......................alcohol has about 1/2 the energy content of hydrocarbon.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199296 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine

roKWiz wrote: Just curious in what's the process of getting something like this through rego or historic rego in the different states.
Looks modified to me, but I don't know what's been done to it.
Maybe the Victorian owners on here ? Vic Historic plates.

Thank you received: 65

I went to school with the owner of this truck. He is a truck mechanic in Melbourne's Northern Suburbs. It's Screamer powered and Kenworth cab on Kenworth chassis using the gearbox and diff it came with. The turntable replaced with a tray. The trailer behind it would almost be the world's heaviest duty 6x4 mounted on a spare axle with dual wheels as a bit of fun. What makes you think it's modified?

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by bparo. Reason: fixed grammar
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 1 month ago #199315 by cobbadog
Different clubs have different rules as to how and who does the inspections. Some clubs insist you take it for a regular rego inspection place and other clubs are self regulated and do their own inspections to their level of road worthyness.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199316 by cobbadog
Different clubs have different rules as to how and who does the inspections. Some clubs insist you take it for a regular rego inspection place and other clubs are self regulated and do their own inspections to their level of road worthiness.
As for the turn table removed and tray fitted no issues at all and the trailer could easily be registered with a weighbridge ticket and a chassis number stamped or welded into it,

Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199317 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine

bparo wrote:

roKWiz wrote: Just curious in what's the process of getting something like this through rego or historic rego in the different states.
Looks modified to me, but I don't know what's been done to it.
Maybe the Victorian owners on here ? Vic Historic plates.

Thank you received: 65

What makes you think it's modified?

I don't know about engine mods but the front bar isn't stock, air piping running out besides cab doors isn't stock, tray has been dropped below top of rear wheel mudguards, straight thru stacks, dropped in height, car type mirrors.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, that's why I took the picture.
just wondering what is the requirement that club inspectors look for.
I didn't think a change from bog stock (looking) is allowed on club plates.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by roKWiz.

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds