Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago #199020 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Just curious in what's the process of getting something like this through rego or historic rego in the different states.
Looks modified to me, but I don't know what's been done to it.
Maybe the Victorian owners on here ? Vic Historic plates.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199031 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
John

I think you are a bit tough on Queensland.

In Victoria you can get up to 90 days.

In Queensland you can have up to 365 days if you can find enough things to go to (including interstate events). You can have a local area run for testing (with a passenger) just about anytime within reason.

There have to be some restrictions to justify getting registration for about 20% (or less than 5% for trucks). That is the whole basis for the discount because people said they did not use the vehicles enough to be hit for full rego.

If people want to do 20,000km per year, any where without restriction, they are still free to register their vehicles on full registration restored to the ADR or equivilent standard they were built with in the year of manufacture. Even many moderate hotrods could qualify but it would need a whole flock of engineer's blue plates. If you want to use the roads it is not unreasonable you should pay for them.

Just my opinion.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, Zuffen

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199044 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
I don’t find the Queensland system too bad, be great if you were retired and able to go to things all the time. All of the states rules could be fine tuned. The GVM rules are making my ideas a bit hard at the moment, but you get that. Hoping I can pull off something under the 4.5t GVM guidelines. Will also look at options for de-rating GVM’s to find a truck that will work for me. I’m hopefull.

Adventure before Dementia.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Urchy87.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199053 by Blackduck59
For reference, my 86 F350 dual cab with 5.9 Cummins, RTO610 and well body (which needs to go) came in at 3000 Kg tare
Gross is 4535KG. Depends on how much a light weight tray would go along with the weight of the LE plus driver,passenger and tools etc.

Derating GVM can be a lot of fun.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Blackduck59. Reason: update
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199054 by Urchy87

Blackduck59 wrote: For reference, my 86 F350 dual cab with 5.9 Cummins, RTO610 and well body (which needs to go) came in at 3000 Kg tare
Gross is 4535KG. Depends on how much a light weight tray would go along with the weight of the LE plus driver,passenger and tools etc.

Cheers Steve

Blackduck59, thanks. That info is appreciated. I feel I can get it done if I find the right ‘truck’. If yours was a single cab with an alloy or steel ramps of sorts I’d imagine it would be lingering around the GVM with the LE tucked on the back. How do you feel it would handle the full GVM? Do you have a Pic? I don’t mind an F350.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Urchy87.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199055 by Mrsmackpaul

Blackduck59 wrote: For reference, my 86 F350 dual cab with 5.9 Cummins, RTO610 and well body (which needs to go) came in at 3000 Kg tare

Cheers Steve

I suspected that the GVM wont change no matter what you add or take away
The GVM is on the plate and as I understand it just the amount you carry changes

I could have this wrong

I looked into derating a little Dodge truck many years ago in QLD and the long and the short of it was no go.

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 2 months ago #199056 by Urchy87

Mrsmackpaul wrote:

Cheers Steve

I suspected that the GVM wont change no matter what you add or take away
The GVM is on the plate and as I understand it just the amount you carry changes

I could have this wrong

I looked into derating a little Dodge truck many years ago in QLD and the long and the short of it was no go.

Paul

Yeah, I didn’t explain myself well. I meant it would prob go over the GVM with it being a dual cab and style side tray if I could somehow get the LE on the back.. If it was a single cab and had a minimalist tray the tare might just be low enough so once the LE was parked up on the back the GVM could just be in check and not over loaded.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199057 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Paul

I had my OKA derated in Queensland to 4.5 tons so the Mrs could drive it without a truck licence.

The engineer noted above, did it without any problem. I had to specify that the second fuel tank and secondary water tanks were for off-road use only. It is now blue plated to 4450kg down from 5500kg. So quite possible.

Lang

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199058 by Blackduck59
Yep the GVM will not change, just need to get the rig on a diet.
The handling is not a problem with my setup, this hauls serious butt!
For imports of the 10,000 Lb class there is a administrative derating to below 4500 KG
Can check with a towie over here, he has an earlier banana back F series as a Tow/recovery vehicle and see what it is rated at.
Cheers Steve

Tray body was not painted as it is not staying
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Blackduck59.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 2 months ago #199060 by Urchy87
Looks good. Would be handy if they automatically do the de-rating. Makes that step easier. I know a guy that has gathered every Holden that has been sitting in sheds or paddocks within a 150k radius of where I live. Hope to catch up with him tomorrow as he will know where quite a few old shedded trucks will be hanging out.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds