Skip to main content

Old Truck, Modern Engine

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199061 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Just thinking out loud.
Only problem I see with a F series is the length overall when carrying a car, I know they're around banana back trays etc but you can get a lot of tray length with a cabover compared to the wheelbase.
The bonnet and cab eat into your overall length with a conventional medium truck. I wonder if an old TK series Bedford, D series Ford or similar could be de rated but still have enough wheelbase and tray to carry a 17ft ish 1400kg car.
Isn't there a LS in a TK Bedford running around somewhere.

I can remember quite a few mid 80-90s Isuzu's and Canters 6500-7000kg range de rated to 4495 when I was looking at that size.
I'm looking for something similar as I have a Mazda bus (full box) chassis which has the hwy diff, long wheelbase and will take a regular Ford Trader tilt cab but would like to drop a Isuzu 6BGT or Cummins 6BT in one day.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by roKWiz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199064 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
roKWiz I have had the same thoughts about cab overs. I struggle to enjoy the shape as much unfortunately. The appeal of a TK Bedford is conversion kits for Holden 308’s are about and I have an engine that could go in. I’m happy to be corrected but I thought some left the factory with the Holden V8’s.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199065 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Definitely,I remember seeing Bedfords at the truck show with V8s,whether Holden or Chev,I cant remember. The last Bedfords had the Mexican Chev,but they wernt no good,just a big Holden red motor,and they would burn out the bigends in 20,000 ks on the highway.,so the very last had V8s.........I would doubt very many were sold ,cause they were competing with the SBR 422 Isuzu................which was a million percent better than any petrol Bedford,especially one with a car motor The last small D series Fords also had V8s,probably 302s....
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by JOHN.K..
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199067 by Lang
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199069 by roKWiz
Luch, I'm certain they had a 308 as an option but can not find it on this HX price list I got as a kid.
My ol man bought a new C60 back then and had it fitted with a luton peak furniture pan.
Note the price of the LE.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: turned picture up the right way.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199070 by roKWiz
Geeze, Lang that CF would need a frame stretch but I have seen them around carrying cars.
That D5N is good value especially its condition with the matching numbers 245 but reckon a Bedford would feel right carrying the Holden.

Heritage Stonemason

More
5 years 2 months ago #199071 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
Looking at the price list,its no wonder the Bedfords died........a SBR 422 or JCR 450 at the same price as a petrol bedford?.......I think 1982 was the last year of Bedfords in Oz,and I think that would have been the truckshow I saw the V8 ones...........I would think the few on the road would have been government contract sales tryout vehicles.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #199073 by roKWiz
Thanks Admin for edit.
Might as well post the CF Beddy, bus and Chev commercial line up too.

Off topic but note Holden panel van side windows in left side panel options seems a lot of naysayers on FBook saying it wasn't a factory option.

Heritage Stonemason
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by roKWiz.

More
5 years 2 months ago #199074 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
I used to load an ex telecom beddy in the quarry years ago on a regular basis, drop side tipper. Was still original orange in color and had a powered by holden heavy duty V8 sticker on the small engine cover door (lower rear side of the cab).

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
5 years 2 months ago #199081 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Old Truck, Modern Engine
The KC and KG "Heavy duty" Bedford were fitted with "heavy duty" 235 and 308 Holden engines from 1979. These engines had heavier duty cranks and rods along with electronic ignition, which was not fitted to cars.

This info is by courtesy of :- Rob Bender, as printed in Issue 51 of Vintage Trucks & Commercials Magazine.

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds