Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 months 4 days ago #250412 by PDU
Thank you Gryphon . . . 

Never seen it do that before; what happened for it to do what it did?   

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 days ago #250417 by Gryphon

Thank you Gryphon . . . 

Never seen it do that before; what happened for it to do what it did?   

You selected the Tab to the right labelled 'Private Message' which hides the contents from the great unwashed and only you and a couple of other people can see it.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PDU

More
3 months 3 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #250424 by PDU
First metal section of the turret, this is about the tenth time the sheet has been put on there in a series of to and fro check, mark, drill, trim, retry, check, remove, drill again, etc, as I gradually transferred measurements across from the tubing and corflute sheets. 

Frustrating when I first trial fitted it and realised I could have done with an extra half inch of metal (height wise). I thought about simply buying and making new sections . . . until I was told the two sheets required would be $200 plus $6 per cut! 

Bugger that, nothing wrong with a disc grinder and a file. Not that it would help with the extra metal, although once located securely and dragged around the curve I gained just enough to achieve an acceptable result (could have been better mind, but no fear it will ever come adrift). Currently held by clamps across the upper part of the frame, and I haven't had any lunch and it's now four o'clock. 

To achieve a continuation of the style line from the cab (shown above) the lower edge of the turret sheets will need to be folded (twice) to achieve a swaged appearance. 

Obviously my plan of moving into the cab was rejected in favour of today's limited progress . . . 

Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, asw120, oliver1950

More
3 months 3 days ago #250427 by V8Ian
"You selected the Tab to the right labelled 'Private Message' which hides the contents from the great unwashed and only you and a couple of other people can see it."

Oi! You calling me the great unwashed? :-( ;-)

More
3 months 3 days ago #250428 by PDU
Not me V8Ian;  I didn't intentionally'/purposely select it to be a private message unfit for the great unwashed . . . it just happened, maybe inadvertently, but that was it. 

I made a comment that I wanted to use itallics for a title, but then everything changed to itallics, after which I couldn't change it back! Most strange, and the reason why I called for assistance - which resulted in it being sorted with an explainedation of what I had done (maybe?). Thanks again Gryphon.

That having been said let it be known all my posts are for whoever can be bothered to look at them. Any input is appreciated, irrespective of you being washed, perfumed, covered in varying levels of crap and dirt, or basically just a plain unadulterated filthy bastard.

What we don't see or smell doesn't effect the reply. Live long and prosper.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, grandad

More
3 months 1 day ago #250461 by PDU
Busy couple of days elsewhere but have managed to remove all the corflute sheeting, reducing the truck to a state it was in about a year and a half ago!? At least the sheet metal is marked ready to cut tomorrow. Slow motion is better than no motion. 

The roof appears to slope towards the rear - but that is only an illusion caused by camera angle.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, HalfaDodgeTruckMan

More
3 months 9 hours ago #250487 by V8Ian
"The roof appears to slope towards the rear - but that is only an illusion caused by camera angle."

Not leaking air bags eh Pom? ;-)

More
3 months 4 hours ago #250489 by PDU
Funny V8Ian. Air bags, for a smooth ride maybe? The Castle quote "Tell him he's dreaming" comes to mind. 

After reading your comment I went out to check on the amount of spring leaves at the arse end - nine 1/2" thick springs plus three "helper" springs each at 5/8" assures me it isn't sagging.

Of course, considering some of the materials used in the rear section, it will be interesting to see how much it will actually weigh when I get that far. I know it's not going to be light but considering it's an O Model with an 8 ton rating I am not overly concerned. You could just about guarantee it's carried far more than 8 tons during its working life.   

Which reminds me of another quote, from Mad Magazine's Alfred E Neuman, "What, me worry?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, V8Ian, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250494 by PDU
Excessive temperature and Heritage Centre duty brought about an early finish today, but not before second sheet was sorted. The remaining two corners are ready to transfer holes from corflute sheets and mount tomorrow(?).  

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250510 by Lang
I hope the slots in those screws are perfectly aligned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds