Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
1 month 1 week ago #251002 by PDU
Once refitted (partially, but sufficient to show the result) the style line now runs above the step plate and along the turret from the cab . . .

The lower portion is hanging out a bit in these pictures as that will be pulled back flat to the turned  up back face of the step plate with screws (pop rivets more likely eventually) . . .

And from the rear . . . 

Not forgetting to include an albeit crooked shot of the opposite side, no doubt because I was absolutely stuffed and swimming in my T-shirt yet again! 

Thanks again 180wannabe, it has turned out fine.
ALSO  I forgot to take any pictures on our mind boggling walkabout, which has left me wondering how many altogether? No need to mention here, message will be great though, ta. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, oliver1950, HalfaDodgeTruckMan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #251004 by Mrsmackpaul
Great stuff, it's amazing how all this stuff sorts it's self out and comes together

Well done on the bending folding to all involved

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PDU

More
1 month 1 week ago #251009 by Morris
Looking good, PDU.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
1 month 1 week ago #251020 by wee-allis
Pom, just another example of your attention to detail that you have shown throughout this entire job. I afraid that I fit in with the "It looks good enough, that'll do", brigade, sadly.
Well done as usual.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, PDU

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #251031 by PDU
Having put all the screws back in I had moved on to the front panel of the rear section, immediately behind the cab. This is actually perspex fitted into an angle iron frame unfortunately with a rather wide gap either side (the perspex is cunningly painted except for where the cab window has been duplicated to allow cab to rear section viewing). I was planning to seal these gaps with pieces of T shaped panel joiners used between house wall sections.

However I now intend to use the off-cut piece we used as a test piece before joggling the turret sheets (the piece 180wannabe is folding in my last post). Used as a handy off cut on Wednesday, but now to be split up the middle and cut to match the top curve of the turret once I realised it was exactly the size needed with the bonus of the joggle continuing around the corner between cab and rear section . . . 

Just one more example of utilising what would have been simply surplus material!    

PS  The perspex is actually two pieces of perspex overlapped to also duplicate the joggle. It looks a bit insipid in the first photo above, mildly transluscent, because it is only painted on one side and the light tends to shine through the paint . . . this will not occur once the interior is finished. 
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 month 1 week ago #251032 by cobbadog
But would only take another pair of rollers to make the stepped offset.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
1 month 1 week ago #251041 by PDU
Not needed cobba, the perspex is fine as is, plus it is painted cream and red already, plus I can guarantee the window won't leak.   

Since Friday all I have done is clear the shed around B for, finding tools that have been missing in action for months! Tomorrow and Monday will see the clean-up continue; despite my best intentions the mess accumulates so easily, especially as I tend to hop from one issue to another before completion and don't get back to the previous for weeks (or longer). Agreed, I am a sad case . . .  

However, finished or not, by Tuesday (Men's Shed) it will be in a far better state to continue with the truck again, contemplating buying a pneumatic pop rivet gun as there will be a tad over 400 rivets to go into the turret and aluminium strips along the sides. 

Perhaps, with my mind wandering towards your mower project, I might even cut my grass by then too??? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 month 1 week ago #251047 by Mrsmackpaul
You can buy cordless rivit guns that work pretty good

I assume most major brands make them

If you get a brand that matches your existing batteries you can buy just the skin and these are considerably cheaper

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, PDU

More
1 month 1 week ago #251064 by mammoth
It is now possible to buy knock off battery converter sleds so the first brand you bought no longer has the monopoly on you.
400 sounds like a recipe for blisters, even with one of those double lever type guns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, PDU

More
3 weeks 6 days ago - 3 weeks 6 days ago #251321 by PDU
Oh the enjoyment of continual heat, perspiration and never ending requests for my presence elsewhere, it's ongoing . . .

Despite this I have made a start on refitting the sheet metal panels on the turret, picked up an extra can of cream paint (unfortunately not the correct one as I mixed up two cans in my paint cupboard, but at least it should match my Herald now ), polished the aluminium side strips, collected the pneumatic pop rivet gun while in Adelaide for the Tom Jones concert (absolutely tremendous, even though I wouldn't consider myself a TJ fan), spent some time with my brother at the Map Shop (his business), had two very comfortable days in the Inter-continental Hotel (20th floor), and returned home to my foreman (Ollie the dog) and the second pop rivet gun ($20 on line, free delivery that cost them $10;60 for postage!). Phew, who has time to work on a truck?

Easter Weekend so far: rolled on two coats of paint, but will still need one more to standardise the cream colour all over!?   I was intending to do one more coat anyway as re-fitting the sunvisor over the side window was bound to result in a scratch or two (it did, two very small ones on the rhs sunvisor). Cab still lingering, and one wheel painted in cream (both sides) to assess whether cream with red edge on rim OR red with cream rim?). Popped the mock-up letters back on to show where they will be painted later.

Pictures to prove it has all happened, as without them it probably hasn't . . .   

Last picture is return home from Adelaide, crashed on bed, quickly joined by Ollie and our cat Bertie. 
Last edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, grandad, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.583 seconds