Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #250513 by PDU
Been there done that Lang, standard practice normally  but with the temperature pushing 39 degrees at the moment I stopped to seek re-hydration. Yeah, too hot (swimming in my T-shirt) to bother with alignment - they are phillips head screws which don't really need it, and my plan (here he goes with his bloody plans again  ) is to possibly change over to pop rivets plus glue for the final assembly.

So at one o'clock I had third corner fitted with one to go . . . 

Hopefully by the end of today, assuming I get back out there, the last sheet will be fitted and then I can measure the two upper and lower sections to have the strips guillotined (above and below the windows). While getting them cut I will talk to local sheet metal guy about the lower swages on the corner pieces, whether or not he can do them? 

UPDATE:  Fourth sheet on and screwed, Five o'clock and time to quit for the day, swimming in my T-shirt and in need of water again. Temperature still just a bee's bum short of 40 degrees. ​​​​​​
Hot but grinning now as I clean up a second glass of water, plus a follow up West End red devil as I post this update!  . . .
Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, V8Ian, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250515 by asw120

I hope the slots in those screws are perfectly aligned.

I had an apprentice a few years ago who had just finished putting the button panel back in a lift, under my instruction. He nearly handed the screwdriver back, then proceeded to line the screws up. I told my supervisor to keep this one. He's still with the company. An eye for detail has all kinds of advantages.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250519 by 180wannabe
Good on you Jarrod, your few words of recommendation have more than likely been of benefit to everyone.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250527 by Morris
I like to line up screw slots but everyone says it is a stupid waste of time.

I have not been game to put it on this forum for fear of being labelled a rivet counter.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #250531 by PDU
I'll keep that in mind for when I do all the gluing and riveting Morris . . . 
. . .  you can be my official rivet counter.    

Just to show the camera angle effect from the other direction, roof still in exactly the same position and definitely level.   Maybe I'll get to the middle bits tomorrow?  
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 months 6 days ago #250833 by PDU
Three weeks almost, where did that go? 

Sheet metal collected for middle section of turret, and fitted about two weeks back and diddly squat since. For me it seems eons ago and I haven't even had time to transfer pictures to computer yet. but they will come (so will Christmas).

Other than picking up five trailer loads of pavers from daughter's house (200+ kms away). Nothing like driving for three hours to get there, half hour loading, three hours back, unloading, and then repeating it all again to round off the day. 

A morning at the Men's Shed and an afternoon picking up my caravan from Pt Augusta (an hour up, and an hour back) now with its axle firmly mounted.

Then another day with two more trips for pavers . . .

. . .  and finally culminating the week with a trip for one more load of pavers, plus a further hour south to Aldinga for two tractor tyres.

Hmmm, boring for you guys but simply draining for me, and hopefully sufficient to clarify why the truck is taking so long?  
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, wee-allis

More
2 months 5 days ago #250837 by PDU
Another day, Men's Shed covering the cushions for our eight ball table - even managed the curves into the pockets cleanly (it is an art in itself). Back home for lunch and time to add the piccies before going off to Bingo . . .

Sheet metal for the rear section middle. First piece being gingerly put into place single handed and the wife phoned - slip the screw in maybe a thread or a little bit more, leave it hanging, take gloves off so I can open the phone (thumb print), ring wife back because the phone has gone to message telling me I've missed a call! I'm sure many of you have been there too. 

Success, upper sheets on and looking to be correct.

And the last load of pavers, 160 pavers in trailer (8kg each) and another 40 in the back of the Territory plus the two tyres for the Heritage Centre Fergy. No, the sides are straight, it's another of those distorted camera interpretations again.  

What was left behind!

Tuesday done and dusted, almost. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, wouldyou, wee-allis

More
2 months 5 days ago #250841 by Mrsmackpaul
That's a lot of effort for some pavers

Still I guess it filled the days in

Tin work is looking good

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
2 months 5 days ago - 2 months 5 days ago #250844 by PDU

Certainly was Paul, we considered hiring a truck to do the job in one go but the access and space to do so was extremely limited - it was hard enough fitting the trailer in! The end result justified our method. 

Thanks also re the sheet metal, I am satisfied with the result although the swaging of the lower edge is still to be resolved. No one seems to have the means locally, but I am still looking.

Perhaps one of you smart cookies can come up with another method to achieve what I am trying to do? 

Simplest way is to cut some strips and let the turret side overlap the side step with a 3mm strip added along the bottom side with its top edge aligned with the style line on the cab. End result would be easy but may not look quite right??? 

Last edit: 2 months 5 days ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 months 5 days ago - 2 months 4 days ago #250845 by PDU
How does a thankyou come before the comment? Time travel?

Thought I might as well use this "bogus" comment that was left here blank (prior to the comment following) by thanking cobbadog for his following comment. Also to mention 180wannabe's message about one potential "possible" source for doing the job.

Contact at Clare swap meet suggested another at Wallaroo, but uncertain exactly where . . . ?
Last edit: 2 months 4 days ago by PDU.

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds