Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208592 by cobbadog
Another straight 8 was in the Auburn motor car plus supercharged. I don't know whoes engine it was though.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208593 by Dave_64
Start doing a bit of research and you will find there were a myriad of manufacturers both European and Yank making straight eights in flathead, OHV as well as even a few OHC.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208596 by PDU
Dave_64: I'm with you on eights, Dusenberg and Graham-Paige came readily to mind, but I was thinking in terms of more common engines, let alone some of the exotic European stuff . . .

cobbadog: Auburn was a make in its own right, didn't use somebody elses engine. :dry:

But what the hey; I need to get back to B for after levelling off my front garden ready for some pseudo turf. B)
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208597 by overnite
Hudson made an 8 also, flathead and splasher. But it is not a Hudson’s because they had the exhaust ports on the top of the block.
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by overnite.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208599 by Lang
Oldsmobile and Pontiac had flat head straight eights. GM hedged their bets and made the Buick overhead valve. Chevrolet never had a straight eight.

This is interesting

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-eight_engine

We seem to have drifted off PDU's interesting Bedford story by a mile.
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Lang.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208600 by PDU
Ah maybe so, but the dalliances are merely an interlude until I rejuvenate my lesser (by two cylinders. and output) offering to automotive motive force. Enjoy the wanderings as you will, I shall return us to the true path again before the new week commences . . .

Such it is written :pinch:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208601 by PDU
Good article Lang, and would be interesting to in fact mount an O type body on an M, or K type, chassis (hmmm, that rings a bell?) BUT leaving the cab on the original mountings and using a straight eight engine by virtue of the recessed firewall. The mind boggles. I would opt for the Buick engine, more of them, powerful, smooth, and long lasting.
Also I stand corrected cobbadog, the Auburn used a Lycoming engine - prior to them taking over that company. :whistle: C is for Cord :lol:
Roll on the weekend and I'll get us back on line again - before the powers that be create a new thread . . . :blink: :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208602 by Dave_64
Yep, I'm with PDU, we do sometimes tend to wander off the path a bit, get sidetracked from the original topic as it were. But it quite often throws up some interesting facts, so unless you're a "rivet counter", I'd just suggest you either make a bit of an allowance or simply skip over the article. No one demands you read each and every posting, and you may even learn something new. I do!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Southbound, PDU

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208620 by cobbadog
Sorry "C is for Commer"
Look forward to any progress on the B is for soon, have fun at play time.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208625 by PDU
Sorry cobbadog, and I agree, in fact I almost added that to the Cord comment. :lol:

And that reminds me - I have a radiator, ex Commer truck, that I picked up with a heap of Humber stuff years ago (more like two decades actually!?). Perhaps it may be of use to someone out there?

Just to upset the metrically inclined clientele, the dimensions are 18" wide, and 24", or shall we say 2' high. :whistle: The people that might be looking for one probably still talk in Imperial tones? :unsure:

No holes, original Birmingham radiator, bloody heavy and in sound condition - just a few bumps against the cooling fins from being shunted around over the years.

PS Playtime won't start for at least another hour or so as the foreman wants go for his daily exercise . . .
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.590 seconds