Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208534 by JOHN.K.
On the subject of oxy,in the early 70s,before the flood,I was "invited "to "become an associate" of a steam railway group who were at the Swanbank power station....pretty exclusive ,all office workers and seemingly no rough types .....anyhoo ,I was asked to work on a old iron rivetted tank ,nothing to do with a loco,the supervisor (strange guy with a long ginger beard) asked me to grind,drill out,and then drive out rivetts in the tank to replace a panel......anyway ,I simply washed off the heads ,pierced the shank ,and they just about fell out with a tap ...........did the lot in about an hour .....beardy comes back ,not exactly thrilled ,he s outraged I didnt follow his orders .....End of my career as a steam fitter.....Should of set his beard on fire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208556 by PDU
John.K.: That was the way my old Bedford bus used to run; a bit smokey at times, but would run all day at 80, but never saw 90!

The trouble with some people is they think there is only one way, and that is their way!! :angry:

asw120: It hurts when you open them up and find it like that . . . does the engine turn? You could soak it liberally until you can get the piston to tdc, then clean what you can - at least it could be redeemed??? :unsure:

I can't see much to help me identify the engine, but I think going by the head bolt arrangement I can rule out Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Packard and Chrysler/Dodge - so I would assume it is some lesser known or very expensive make of engine? Basically, make life easier for me (and others), what is it? ;)
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by PDU.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208564 by Morris
PDU,
You forgot to count the pots and if my memory is correct you said you were a retired school teacher! . There are eight and asw120 said it had seven spark plugs in it. That rules out all the ones you said.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208566 by asw120
Sadly it doesn't turn. I put some molasses in from a bath I have going. It went through the holes corroded through the top of the piston after one night, so out it comes.
As to whatzit? A c1929 Studebaker Dictator in paddock condition. Was a roadster once, but only have from the cowl forward. I have 3 all just as bad, or worse. Hoping to come up with a roadster ute out of it.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208567 by PDU
As a school teacher Morris I were abel to done count so good yew coud even see all ate scilindas!? Even the rusty ones, whether they had plugs in them or not . . . :lol:

Damn, I forgot Studebaker had an eight as well! Is there anyway the crown of the piston can be fixed, without removing it - aluminium welding is possible with care . . . :blink: Good luck asw120 :huh: ;)

And, although not for moral but educational value, some edification concerning seven cylinder engines . . . :whistle:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208576 by asw120
The pistons are cast iron. I suspect this one has had a braze repair in antiquity (can't otherwise explain all the light blue verdigris). I have two other much rustier engines, but which have all the plugs in. Being updraught engines has hopefully helped. I just need to weld some nuts onto the rusted head bolts first.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208579 by PDU
The updraught carburettor may have helped, but having that plug out obviously didn't. :( Do either of the other engines show any signs of turning?

My head gasket has arrived and, when I have done a bit of "other" work around the house/garden, I might be able to get back to it on the weekend . . . :unsure:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208585 by wee-allis
Morris, I always thought that both Chrysler and Packard built 8 cylinder engines. Either my memory or history is lying to me.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208586 by asw120
The other engines likewise are stuck, but hopefully only due to condensation in a couple of cylinders / stuck valves. I'll get this one apart before attacking the others. Shamefully, one (a Commander which has the long stroke 250 engine and was converted to a truck and driving machinery from a big pulley) was left uncovered and the water through the bonnet hinge has rusted the plugs out of it. Out of 5 total engines (no carbies and only two dizzies) I reckon I'll get two going. Not as quickly as you, though!

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208587 by PDU
We all live in hope Jarrod; as for me, I've always been a cheapskate optimist. :lol: :blush:

And wee-allis, there is nothing wrong with your memory. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds