Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214217 by PDU
Having woken early I thought it would be time to update what has been happening around here in my world . . .

All my postage deliveries have now arrived. I have test bent and flared some of my brake tubing with the el cheapo flea-bay flaring kit (pleasantly adequate for my needs) and am ready to move on to the new bundy tubing that I picked up two days ago ($16.60 for 5 metres :)). The "magic" Bondic has arrived - "Not a glue" and is waiting for my next sortie onto the bodywork . And the 1/24 scale O Type model has arrived, sitting waiting for the next quiet moment, if it ever happens!?

Also, the rear axle has been cleaned and painted (between the springs at least, so far) and I have rearranged my fleet to increase work space somewhat; it was a days work just doing that in the confined space available and with none of those fancy wheel supports for moving stuff sideways!

The brake master cylinder I was planning to use has been dismantled and I have reamed out the bore with a convenient machine reamer we had in the Heritage Centre collection ;) . I then thought I might as well repeat the process with a second master cylinder I had acquired along the way . . . after a good soaking in brake fluid and with some gradual assistance over the past week this has been most promising and is actually working as it should with the first piston at least (rear brakes) so far.

The Men's shed walls are still waiting for windows to arrive but we are now well into the cladding stage - wet areas in the three toilets thus far, and a start on gyprock (NB the area to the far right was gyprocked inside after I took the picture). Who ever imagined retirement could be so restful? :silly:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214592 by PDU
Prolonged persistence has finally reaped its rewards with the second brake master cylinder now fully operational AND pumping brake fluid as it was intended from both outlets in sequence. :cheer:

Tomorrow another trip into Adelaide, Power Brakes for rubber boot between master cylinder/servo unit, and another where the foot pedal pushrod enters the Clayton-Dewandre servo (possibly not available!?). While there I might buy a kit to rebuild the unit I reamed out previously. :unsure:

In the evening my daughter has requested my attendance at a Quiz and Curry night at Brighton Rugby Club, before I return home again - hopefully by midnight (unlikely, but that's my aim even though she has offered overnight accommodation).

Other than that nothing much has happened beyond cleaning up the mess left from pulling the oil/petrol soaked O type engine apart to find that elusive welsh plug behind the flywheel! :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul

More
3 years 7 months ago #214598 by Zuffen
Be careful of the Skippy's on the way home.

No point in killing our wildlife and damaging the car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 7 months ago #214605 by cobbadog
At least you are making progress PDU. Me, I'm sitting back enjoying myself in 'away mode'.
Like so many things we never know what parts we can still source until you ask.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214610 by PDU
Zuffen: We only bought the latest tow vehicle last week so I certainly hope not. :huh:

cobbadog: I've always said, Slow progress is better than no progress. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #214625 by Morris
PDU, Overnight at Daughter's place sounds like the way to go. Good cooked breakfast and you do not have to do the washing up but she will probably find a few other jobs for you. (My Daughters always do)

The reason the last time my elder Daughter and toddler Grandson came to see us was so I could go and buy a set of brake pads and fit them to her car. Grandson got in the way and poked a screwdriver through the grill then told Gamma "I help Gampa fix Mummy car." Me being the sucker that I am, I always take either Daughter's car for a "Test Run" to the local service station and fill up with petrol and top up engine oil, brake fluid, replace light globes, etc. It must be a coincidence that their car is always almost out of petrol when they arrive. Partners rarely come because they always have a very important football, cricket or golf day to attend.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 7 months ago #214628 by Morris
PDU, I forgot to ask what towing vehicle did you get? Did you buy the Grizzler 300C?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214661 by PDU
Home 1:05 am - Now I can have a lie in and listen to Macca before heading to the Heritage Centre for any visitors after lunch.

At the risk of suspension issues later (!? :dry: ) I bought a Ford Territory diesel. It sat on 110 kph all the way down to Adelaide and back at 2000 rpm, with 10 litres per 100 km average showing; can't grumble about that (especially as that was effected by 50 km towing our caravan).

Might even get the master and servo onto the truck once and for all today???

More
3 years 7 months ago #214753 by PDU
Well that was a long Sunday . . .

. . . it's taken three and a half days :huh: but the brake master cylinder and servo are now all back together and fitted, along with the newly created brake lines (not clipped in place yet).

The El Cheapo bender and flaring kit worked well - although I won't know for sure until the rebuilt slave cylinders are transferred from the M type chassis. :unsure:

Also I now need to modify the J type gearbox mounting to suit B for's crossmember, so the engine has been lifted (yet again) ready to trial fit. I could use the original O type bellhousing, but the mountings are pretty well stuffed and I can't be bothered removing the clutch and flywheel - even if I could check the hidden welsh plug while I do it! :whistle: IF the J type clutch is no good, or I have a water leak like Pierre, I'll fix it then . . . I suppose I could paint the engine to tidy it up a bit while I'm at it - black, or intended body colour, or something else? :dry:

Sometimes you just can't help being lucky - at the Quiz night I went to last Saturday they had two coin tosses, to win some spirits, and one of the people on our table won them both! Total outlay for him, $6! :ohmy:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago #214756 by Gryphon
Hi,

is the brake tube pictured a few posts back copper or copper-nickel tube?

The reason I am asking is if it is straight copper then it is not legal for use in road vehicles in Australia.

Terry

Time to create page: 0.566 seconds