Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 8 months ago #213191 by cobbadog
If it is an engine swap at least keep it Pommy, a nice little Jag 6 auto. you might need to extend the grille forward a touch.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213197 by PDU
Ha, I've owned 'em both - three thirsty old Valiant hemi sixes (215,245 and 265, as well as three V8s also - two 318s and one 360) wee-allis; and absolutely lurved my Series 1 XJ6 cobbadog, BUT I tend to lean toward the readily available, and grossly under rated Falcon sixes (EF onwards).

My modified cars over the years have received various engines, but ignoring the V6 and V8 swaps, I enjoyed my '56 Humber Hawk with Chev 235 Blueflame, and my '39 Olds ended up with a Chev 292 six and powerglide (after several V8s). See, no accounting for my tastes!?

I actually considered a Jeep Cherokee six and auto about two months ago which I could have had for minimal outlay (do regret letting it go in hindsight :unsure:). And what about the tough 80 Series Toyota engines???

Four, to four and a half litres is the go in my mind . . . and I do have a perfectly good 4.2 Humber Snipe engine with 4 speed sitting on the floor at the back of my shed!? Anything could happen around here. :lol:

B for - Stock first, modify later. B)

More
3 years 8 months ago #213201 by overnite
The Humber engine wouldn’t look out of place.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213203 by PDU
It is a HEAVY engine and box though, even if it is a long lasting engine with heaps of torque. It was where I purloined the carburettor that I used for B for's J series engine. ;)
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213253 by cobbadog
Yeah those Falcon engines are strong and torquie too. If you really like a challenge why not try one of those old Hydramatic trannies, as a park brake!

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213642 by PDU
Still alive, but B for is languishing terribly at the moment. Having had July stolen from under me by the Men's Shed I was then whisked away by wife needing another caravan jaunt - but I'm back on deck again now.

The original chassis is now in the shed with the M type chassis, following my decision to revert to the original set up initially. Issue that will hold things up somewhat (apart from the bodywork still) is a need to make up new brake lines. There are insufficient intact pieces left on either chassis to even have a complete set that I can use to measure from! No doubt perusing my manuals should help . . . ? ? ? :oops:

More
3 years 8 months ago #213645 by Morris
Go for it PDU, Bundy tube is not very expensive and is the proper stuff to use. You do need a double flaring tool but if you do not have one and cannot borrow one, the place you get the Bundy tube from will probably flare 'em for you. Otherwise you can buy the tool for about $30.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 8 months ago #213653 by Mrsmackpaul
My unasked for and doubt unwanted advice is

Ditch the mens shed :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Just saying thats all

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213659 by overnite
I always thought mens sheds were for old men with nothing to do.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by overnite.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213668 by PDU
Thankyou for your responses . . .

Morris: Were the originals double flared or single flared? $30 seems cheap and well within my means, although the ability to use it my be a little wanting. :unsure:

Paul: Alas I'm too involved and a task taken is not to be cast aside . . . I am also a Freemason with self imposed obligations there too, so it is a wonder anything gets done around my shed!? :pinch:

overnite: Old I am, with plenty to do and well aware I am running out of time - but I have a strong desire to establish the recreation area in our Men's Shed, for those who have little desire to continue simply waiting for their inevitable destiny.:ohmy: There are so many men (and women in our Shed also) with skills to share, thinking nobody is bothered to listen to them - sharing is warming; a bit like this forum I guess? Perhaps check out a Shed near you, you might be surprised at what lies within. Personally I don't need a Men's Shed, as I have plenty to do in my own shed, but ultimately consider the benefits for others with my actions there. ;)

Today Men's Shed, tomorrow trip to Adelaide for Lodge meeting, Thursday morning Heritage Centre volunteer . . . it's never ending (a bit like B for?). :blush:

Time to create page: 0.582 seconds