Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 8 months ago #213678 by Morris
PDU,
I don't know about the originals but Bundy tube, double flared is the Roadworthy requirement these days. Proper Bundy tube has copper over steel. Plain copper in brake lines is illegal these days.
I spoke to mate with $30 double flaring tool, bought brand new from a tool dealer at a swapmeet. Old Mate says it will not handle Bundy tube. Sorry about that. He borrowed a similar looking tool from his mate and did the job.

You use it just like a pair of pliers, or the you-beaut stripping tool that electricians use for stripping insulation off wires where you squeeze the handles and the insulation cuts and comes off.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213679 by PDU
Thanks Morris, guess I'll be checking out Youtube for guidance? :cheer:

More doubts now . . . :blink:

More
3 years 8 months ago #213684 by Mrsmackpaul
Everything Morris is saying is spot on
It has been a few years but I also found I needed a good quality flaring tool and believe mine was the rigid brand and had no dramas what so ever

Biggest problem I have found with cheaper flaring tools is splitting of tube, this doesn't appear to be a issue with better quality flaring tools

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 8 months ago #213692 by JOHN.K.
Yep ,no doubt the Rigid is the flaring tool .....but I think mine was $200 many years ago .......anyway ,been borrowed and not returned somewhere along the line .......and modern brake tube is no longer bundy ,buts some kind of nickel alloy ,to resist rusting thru......which bundy was real good for..........A lot of Girling brake line on Pommy trucks had a different system to US bundy ,sort of large steel flare nuts on nipples ,rather than internal compression nuts......and 3/8 tube ,too.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213712 by cobbadog
I had the pleasure to borrow and use a quality double flaring tool not so long ago. I used it on a copper tube on the McDonald oil system and it worked a real treat.
On the other hand I dropped Lorry off a couple of years back to the workshop that does his 'health checks' each year for rego to have most of the hydraulic brake lines replaced due to rust. IT was not an expensive exercise to have done so a suggestion is to go to a brake shop and ask how much they would charge to supply the tube and do the flares for you, then you can bend them into shape. If you have the originals, mark them using masking tape and write on the tape and use them as a guide to length and shape. For others measure up how long the tube needs to be and again bend them to shape. A long time back I did buy a tube bender from SCA and it really works a treat and it was very cheap to buy.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213718 by oliver1950
PDU, I can lend you mine (the one Cobbadog used) but at 4kg I fear post to and from may be expensive. Mine is a BGS Technic I bought because the boys in the workshop kept breaking cheaper ones, I did some research and found this one had a great reputation so bought it for ,I think,$270.It had little use before the business was sold, I kept it and most of the tools and equipment to do my own work.

You can't have too many toys!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago #213719 by Morris
Two points:
1. John.k is spot on. The modern brake tube is nickel coloured and that is the one old Mate's double flaring tool cannot handle. The nickel one is the way to go these cdays.

2. If you flare them yourself, don't forget to put the fittings on the tube first. I have not done that with brake tube but I learned when I did it on half inch copper waterpipe!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 8 months ago #213723 by PDU
Everything ready for my meeting tonight, and before leaving on my 200km trek south I thouught I'd check the forum.

Everything in hand, and again thanks for your comments/support. I've ordered a flaring tool with bender included, which should be okay (Probably cheaper than two-way postage oliver 1950 :lol: ) Have assembled sufficient pieces to supply necessary tube nuts, etc, and also act as templates, for the 5/16 (or 8mm) tubing.

So now I'm waiting on three lots of postage, the flaring tool, the magic ultra violet light stuff, and a 1/24 scale model O Type truck. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213887 by PDU
My hiatus was extended and involved another three days down in Adelaide, but despite this I have been able to get a few things done (apart from Lodge, Men's Shed, and Heritage Centre!!). Almost bought a Chrysler 300C Touring . . .

. . . what a stunning machine, incredibly good ride, great performance (even without the hemi V8) and less than 8 L/100km from the three litre turbo diesel! (My Adventra is on borrowed time and another tow vehicle is on our "Required" list :S).

Isn't it frustrating how our projects are hindered by life's other demands?

I'm still waiting for any of my postage items, but in the mean time have cleaned up the O type chassis a bit more and slotted it into the space where my green Triumph was.

This is more convenient and closer to the cab when it comes time to move it across.

On closer inspection the existing collection of brake pipes are sounder than first appeared, with the sections that were eaten out with rust being all close to the master cylinder, and sufficient 'other' pieces that can be shortened and used to replace them. Minimal cutting and flaring will be needed after all!? :unsure:

The master cylinder has been stripped ready for further attention - a doddle compared to the Austin's master cylinder as the piston(s) can be got at from both ends. ;)

And, you've got to love those seals . . . ? :cheer:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 8 months ago #213894 by Mrsmackpaul
We have a Adventura and its mate the Cross 6 1 tonner

I have said I'll never buy another Holden and these are the only two I have owned
Bought them both new but they are to costly on maintenance for my like
Decided my next car is going to be something old and have already bought the motor for it, now gotta find the car to put it in

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds