Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 8 months ago #213110 by Sarge
PDU, I'm like you, I have forgotten too....... why are you not going with plan number 1. Seems like the simplest straight forward option...... is that why you want to do something else?

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213116 by Zuffen
What would be the advantage of doing both chassis?

Do you have another cab to put on the 2nd chassis?

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213120 by PDU
Ultimately I would like a short nose Bedford that can be driven at a comfortable speed, and with decent brakes.

I know the original set-up is able to meet those needs (partially), and the original chassis, with the J series 214 in it will do that . . . hopefully that would be more than just a garage queen.

BUT by fitting a later engine, with later drive train, in the M type chassis - then transfer the cab across, I'd end up with a slightly shorter and lighter vehicle that I could use more often. ;)

It's the street rodder blood in me veins wot does it!? :whistle:

PS Do you have a spare cab then Zuffen?
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago #213138 by cobbadog
It is better to end up with a head ache than a stuff up!
If it keeps you awake at night then you must not be happy with you last plan and you want to thrash it out once and for all.
Grafting other front ends onto a chassis is nothing new but check your current laws for your State before doing it. A longer spring should give a softer ride and the late model front end would improve the braking performance immensely.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213143 by PDU
Fear not cobba I've done a bit of grafting of this type previously ;)

More
3 years 8 months ago #213159 by Zuffen
Unfortunately I don't have a spare cab but you would be surprised how many you see int he "Acreage Belt" north-west of Sydney.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213161 by overnite
1948 Bedford K series at Rouse hill. Bad photos sorry, taken from moving car.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120

More
3 years 8 months ago #213168 by asw120
Hell yeah! I was out today in the Inter doing a bit of that. (only a couple of old engines - anyone want a rusty Y-block?)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213178 by PDU
1. Zuffen, just thought I'd ask in case you did, but not really wanting another cab - my sheds are full of too many cars already! Plus NSW is too far away. :(

2. That K looks to be in nice straight condition overnite - including the engine covers just lacking paint.

3. I've used the old Y block engines, many years ago, but this is 50 years later asw . . . thanks, but enough said, okay Jarrod? I'm actually thinking along the lines of an inline 6 because of the O type's narrow bulkhead and limited foot space for pedals. ;)
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213183 by wee-allis
Pom, if you are going that far in rodding the old girl, yes, inline six and you only need 2 pedals. 265 Hemi and auto. That should get the old diff gears going.

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds