Skip to main content

Caterpillar

More
13 years 5 months ago #40343 by newto
Replied by newto on topic Re: Caterpillar
all ya gotta do is look at the oil pump on the first pic....its a DFC CUMMINS pump with engine position sensor next to it!!.........its also got in 1 pic the air comp spline drice coupling laying there plus a cummins/holset air compressor....detroits run westinghouse/wabco comps.
i've ordered new glasses for xmas for those that need them.....lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #40344 by little_red
Replied by little_red on topic Re: Caterpillar
I really hate to burst your bubble boys but that big boot in the pic is mine, I think I would be able to tell the difference between a Detroit and a Cummins as I work on both for one, this engine i have shown is not painted red, and two the pic of the n14 is showing the wrong side, the bigger hole, from memory was on the right hand, (drivers) side of the block. :-?

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #40345 by newto
jeez..........some people are soooooo stubborn.
1/1st pic has the LARGER hole on the PASSENGERS side where the conrod/piston knocked the air comp/fuel pump off just above the DFC oil pump with EP sensor nxt to it.
2/the SMALL hole is on the DRIVERS side in the 2nd pic,right below the drop down style cummins oil cooler.
3/now for the boot...lol....above the boot is the flywheel housing on which sits a busted cummins 2 piece piston(under which is a cummins lifting bracket)..between flywheel housing and rear of block lays a cummins accessory drive to air compressor drive sleeve (p/n 199349) then laying on floor behind the clutch is a cummins/holset E type air compressor with fuel pump still attached.next to that is a cummins steel oil pan with front stiffener bracket laying in it.last but not least the large plug in the back of the block is where the water plumbing for water jacket aftercoolers waas taken from for industrial engines that cldnt run air to air.
the glasses offer still stands.....merry xmas.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by newto.

More
13 years 5 months ago #40346 by Chocs
Replied by Chocs on topic Re: Caterpillar
MATE...IM HAVING TROUBLE GETTIN ALL THIS..
I'll say it...nobody else seems to want too..
im goin out on a limb here...

Until yesterday i hadn't noticed or realised, the different block castings between an n14 mechanical and a 'redhead' electronic.......so......
as i mentioned earlier...i have cummins 855's and N14's here..(all mechanical)
i looked at each one of them yesterday....
Now, if you posted the first picture of the broken engine....(you claim is a detroit)

The 'broken' engine block looks the same as an electronic cummins, as per Ron's 'bare block' picture (if his identification is accurate for that picture)

heres a couple for you to examine..AGAIN..

www.flickr.com/photos/25712271@N07/3357971019/

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMMINS-N14-370E...erQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

Now going on all that... and the comments by some people that seem to know...
I think you must have mixed up your photo descriptions with your photos..
The broken engine in your first post....going on the literary and photographic evidence that has been put forward.
IS AN N14 CUMMINS! ELECTRONIC OF WHO CARES WHAT HORSEPOWER!

Now none of this really matters..but the longer the thread goes on..the more wrong you are becoming on this particular engine...
There is an old saying...
"PUT YA SHOVEL DOWN" "The hole you are digging is getting deeper...."
A simple mistake is fine..nobody will get hung for that...
But at the current rate, personally i think you are bordering on being a Di__head!
If i am wrong on all of the above...i apologise in advance
regards
Chocs 8-)

More
13 years 5 months ago #40347 by newto
i'm just a dumb cummins mechanic....i've got pics but cant work out how to post them here......hellllppppppp.

More
13 years 5 months ago #40348 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Caterpillar

i'm just a dumb cummins mechanic....i've got pics but cant work out how to post them here......hellllppppppp.

Hmmm, offering glasses to those who need them, eh.

Pictures to this forum are easy, just go back to the HOME page, do you see the section marked Restoration Chat, possibly need these FREE glasses your offering about now, click on the words restoration chat, when it opens, then definatly put YOUR free glasses on, as it's that close, it will bite you.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #40349 by newto
well who woulda thunk it.....I go to "help" to find out how to post pics and all i had to do was go to "restoration chat"....that makes sense......"where do i get it" would have been more appropriate but it wasnt in there.....i guess i'll 'restore" my pics later when i get my rose coloured glasses back.
thank you so much for your help greenie,i really appreciate it.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by newto.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #40350 by newto

link for a pic of my cummins series 60.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #40351 by
Replied by on topic Re: Caterpillar

[ch729][ch647]sod [ch654][ch623] s[ch305] [ch477]u[ch305][ch1503] s[ch305][ch613][ch647] [ch653]o[ch
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by .

More
13 years 5 months ago #40352 by newto
thanks,why cldnt i do that?

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds