Skip to main content

Cars ............................ we've owned

More
5 years 3 months ago #198431 by Swanny

BillyP wrote: .
.Hang on a minute...…..I forgot one mighty little car that I had ………..a Lloyd -Alexander...………..
………………...Billy...…………………..

" Billy P" I remember when I was a young bloke I think the Total Service Station at Revesby in Sydney where the agents for them along with the Gogomobile .Didn't they have an engine a bit bigger than a Victa lawn mower

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198432 by BillyP

Swanny wrote:

.Hang on a minute...…..I forgot one mighty little car that I had ………..a Lloyd -Alexander...………..

" Billy P" I remember when I was a young bloke I think the Total Service Station at Revesby in Sydney where the agents for them along with the Gogomobile .Didn't they have an engine a bit bigger than a Victa lawn mower

. .GDay Swanny….. Yeah , not much bigger than a lawnmower, but there was a bit of genious about the car ….
Like the gearbox and combined diff …...undo a row of bolts around the edge of the box, lift the top off,
then everything just sat there and you could pluck any bit out including the diff bits …..
(after you got the donk out of the car that is)………….The donk and box came out of the car as a unit,
much the same as a mini...……..
The only agents I knew was Athan Pangas , Myrtle St ,Chippindale. ………

.....................…Billy...........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by BillyP.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198435 by Zuffen
Allan,

Correct the VL was the only Holden with the Nissan engine.

Wee-Allis You should try an L300 with 350kw in the rear tray.

That's scary!

More
5 years 3 months ago #198436 by asw120
I'm bound to forget a few, plus there were several dozen either never registered / bush bashers, or wrecked out. I'll ad 'F' for family car.

1982 Yamaha XT250J
EK Holden wagon built from several cars as a teenager.
HJ Holden 202 manual sedan
1973 Suzuki GT250K
1976 Rambler Matador wagon 360
1987 Harley Davidson FXRD
VE Valiant ute (rare factory V8) Originally 273, 318 when I bought it.
VC Valiant Regal 8 Safari 273
Yamaha XJ600 Seca II (first new vehicle)
Yamaha XS 750 Special (backtraded to build house)
Dodge D5N 200 ute
HG Holden Belmont sedan 186
1964 Studebaker Cruiser 259
International ASW120
1974 Rambler Matador sedan 360
!961 Studebaker Hawk 259 4 speed
1985 Cagiva Allazzura 650 Pantah (most unreliable bike I ever owned)
1977 Yamaha XS750 2D
1981 VC Commode wagon (F)
1982 VH Commodore wagon (factory de-optioned to vinyl seats, PO fitted 5L black motor) (F)
1960 Studebaker Lark sedan (formerly my father's and paternal grandparents' car, brought back into the family)
1982 VH Commodore Vacationer wagon 3.3 (lovely low miles original) (F)
199? Ford Festiva (F)
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 (second ever new vehicle)
1999 Subaru Forester (F) Bitten by Subaru bug
1951 Studebaker Champion 170
2013 Subaru Forester Eyesight. (F) (First ever new car)

I know I've forgotten some, but that'll do.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
5 years 3 months ago #198437 by jeffo
Before Family:
FJ Holden
Sunbeam Alpine
Mini Cooper
Family time:
HK Belmont
850 Mini
2A Landrover
LH Torana
XF Falcon
Post family:
R31 Skyline
VP Commodore
R32 GTSt Skyline
R33 GTSt Skyline
VS Commodore
R32 GTR Skyline
90 Series Prado
i-30
Usually had at least two on the go at any time.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198441 by Swanny

BillyP wrote:

Swanny wrote:

. .GDay Swanny….. Yeah , not much bigger than a lawnmower, but there was a bit of genious about the car ….
Like the gearbox and combined diff …...undo a row of bolts around the edge of the box, lift the top off,
then everything just sat there and you could pluck any bit out including the diff bits …..
(after you got the donk out of the car that is)………….The donk and box came out of the car as a unit,
much the same as a mini...……..
The only agents I knew was Athan Pangas , Myrtle St ,Chippindale. ………

.....................…Billy...........................

GDay BillyP When I worked for StGeorge back in the sixties I had to go to Myrtle st Chippendale to get parts for a Borgward Isabella I think it was the the big brother to the Lloyd.

Memory is a bit foggy these days ,it proberly was Athan Pangas
Attachments:

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198444 by BillyP
GDay again Swanny……. Yeah Myrtle st it was...……..Athan Pangas was his name ………..
Did a pretty good trade as Lloyd & Borgward Agencies for a small shop.

A bit of nostalgia ( some may be interested some not )…….. in his workshop partly covered by a pile of junk,
one day while there, i spotted ( and recognised ) what we would now call a historic old HRG race car...……..
Originally brought to and raced in Australia by Tony Gaze.(Ex RAF Spitfire ace pilot ).
it went to a couple of people before being raced by Eric Senior for some time , it was bought by Athan to restore,
but that is as far as it went, left sitting in his garage for donkeys years.
By coincidence it was spotted by Mrs Senior, Her son then tried to buy it but Athan would not sell,
About 10 years later Athan died, his estate sold up and the Senior family were contacted about the car.
The Seniors now own it and it is currently being restored to its former glory complete with the original
Singer engine.
So you never know what is lying around do you ???????
………………….Billy...……………........

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by BillyP.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198448 by Swanny
"BillyP "I only entered the shopfront to pick up parts ,when I walked in the front door there was were very old shopfittings thought I was in time warp I think he new where everything was .That day I had the pleasure of driving the boss of StGeorge motors new XT falcon or a recently released Holden Torana Jack Brabham special to pick up the parts ,drove the Torana had a ball. The Torana just come out of the panelbeaters section of StGeorge motors had major front end damage so it needed to be road tested :woohoo:

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198449 by PDU
OMG this will be a post and a half as I used to buy, drive, fix, flog and wreck cars during my apprenticeship - so will miss countless Ford Customlines which were available for about $20 in the sixties!
But here goes . . .
Austin A40, ended up with a SV Ford V8 in it and painted bright orange (which in 1966 was definitely not normal)
1946 Ford V8 Panel Van, plus a '48 Sedan that was used for running gear AND chassis!
'59 FC, stock as a rock, until repco big bore engine twin carbs, extractors, Rowley Park head with Chev Blue Flame valves (two headgaskets!), and Jag gearbox adapted by using an FJ gearbox cut in half for the bellhousing - interesting here that I used a Rover 90 clutch plate bought from wreckers for $2 :lol:
'5? Ford Pilot V8 and another A40 bought half shares with a mate
'56 Pontiac V8, great car, three on the tree, got busted for dragging a candy striped police Charger after he goaded me into it! :angry:
'47 Ford V8 Sedan, lovely old car, never should have sold it :huh:
'56 Cadillac Convertible with power top, chrome wire wheels, sold for $600 :(
'28 Willys tourer, 272 Y block V8 and 15 x 11s on the back :silly:
Then I got kinda sensible, despite getting married and bought a brand new car :ohmy: a 1970 HT Kingswood White Hot special with 253 V8 and a set of Aunger Hustler Mags . . .
But then my evil side kicked in and I went off tossing up between a '59 De Soto Firesweep (crappy auto, gutless) and a Studebaker Golden Hawk, complete with Paxton centrifugal blower (also crappy auto unless held in low) until my world crashed somewhat . . .
'64 Valiant Safari, which I fitted a 600cfm Carter to, and mags of course - went hard until the fuel pomp couldn't keep up
'57 Holden FE Panel Van, cos I needed a big wheel barrow to move some sand :whistle:
'36 Ford Sedan - resurrected with a '38 Ford truck motor, and then a Chev V8 courtesy of a '60 model I bought for $100. Great car - light, fast, and running AP6 back axle and front brakes. ;) Sadly this car was burnt out (Jag fuel pump!!) :pinch: :( and was the only time I ever referred to it as a hot rod :dry: I was in another place, lost, for about three months after this :oops:
'64 EH Sedan, twin carbs and mags, again . . .
'39 Oldsmobile Sedan, a new home for the 283 (which later became a 307) V8 from the burnt out remains - this one gave great service for several years :) but mid way through fitting it on a '63 Pontiac chassis and with a 292 Truck six and 'Glide rebuild I left my first wife and had a few (!*#) hold ups - eventually selling it off a year or two, or three, later :blush:
AND THEN I got married again and had to pick up the pieces . . .
'65 Falcon sedan - a real cheap heap, but on wheels again (I had been going through a two wheel phase - Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha)
'63 XL Falcon Wagon, converted from auto to manual on a gravel driveway in 40+ temperature (and without ramps! It can be done, I did it) fitted this with Futura bucket seats and console and a later Falcon power window in the back, plus Datsun chrome wheels
'63 Mercedes 220S, ex Coober Pedy cop's car
'53 Ford Hearse, sad case, never driven
VK Valiant Regal, boring car to drive
VH Valiant wagon x 3, one I fitted with 360 V8 and all Chrysler by Chrysler bits - last seen on an Aboriginal tip although I received a parking ticket for it two years afterwards!
AND a plethora of other boring everyday type cars that crossed my path until I bought a
'53 Humber Super Snipe, still owned but needing brake work :huh:
'63 Triumph Sedan (currently sitting in my shed with a Commodore V6 in it :silly: ), and a '72 Triumph TC Sedan (unbelievably good car), and a '76 Triumph S Sedan, and . . . several more (5 or 6) of them including a Managing Director's Special which I still have (If'n you dinnae know what they are look 'em up :P not many of them) and '59 Triumph Herald Coupe (built from two) for the wife
PLUS a few 4WDs - Toyota HJ47 twin cab ute, ex SA Rail car; Range Rover, smooth but thirsty; Jeep Cherokee, that nearly put me off working on cars :sick:; Toyota 80 Series, Pajero x2 - simply because eldest son stuffed it up and I swapped in another engine!
AND of course I'd better mention the Austin 245F Truck, still slowly getting a wee bit of attention when the wind is blowing in the right direction.
PHEW! I'm sure when I look back at this I'll notice quite a few I've missed, but there are enough here to indicate what a car tragic I have been . . . and still am :S :pinch: :blink:

10/10 to those who managed all that without missing any or falling asleep B)
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by PDU.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198452 by Lang
PDU

I won't try. Bev has kept a list since we were married and not counting about 20 vehicles prior to that we are up to 324 in 50 years.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds