Skip to main content

Cars ............................ we've owned

More
5 years 3 months ago #198524 by Zuffen
Rodd,

Interesting photo.

I like the A pillar mounted semaphore arms.

Did Holden get the VL model name from your Dad's Fiat.

Interestingly my Father had a Topolino sedan when I was about 6 (1958ish) and I remember riding in the back with my 4 sisters all jammed in and on top of each other.

Some years later he purchased an ex-Police Ford Custom 300 (tank Fairlane as it is better known) so from sublime to ridiculous.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198576 by VicHung
When I was a teenager my father had a 1933 Ford V8; I learned to drive in this. Then I bought a
1950 Singer SM 1500 (Why? It was very cheap)
1952 Sunbeam -Talbot 90 Mk 2 (Why? It looked good and Stirling Moss drove one in the Monte Carlo Rally)
1952 MG TD
1952 Riley 2 1/2 litre
Bedford CA van (travelled around Europe in this for 6 months)
1939 Triumph Dolomite 14/60
1949 Morris Minor sv low-light
1961 VW 1200
Ford Cortina Mk 1
Peugeot 203
Renault R10 LHD
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
1962 Fiat 125
1963 Sunbeam Rapier
Rover 2000 TC
Triumph 2.5 PI manual
Triumph 2.5 PI auto
Triumph 2500TC
Ford Capri Mk 1 V4 2000
Ford Capri Mk 2 V4 2000
Ford Capri Mk 3 1600
Mini Clubman
Bedford CF van (used for carting motorbikes to race meetings)
Honda Accord
Ford Sierra SW 2 litre
Peugeot 405 (had 4 of these, 2 petrol and 2 diesel)
Peugeot 406 diesel (had 2 of these, still got one as a going-to-work car, now done 400,000km)
Peugeot 407 diesel 2.7 litre V6

Plus....
Puch 125cc Scooter
Rabbit 125 Scooter
Honda CBX 400
Yamaha XJ900
Honda VF1000R
Yamaha FZR1000
Triumph Sprint 900 (times 2)
Triumph Tiger (times 2)
Bimota Supermono
BMW F650
BMW R850R

I know I've forgotten a few others.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by VicHung. Reason: Additions

More
5 years 3 months ago #198586 by PDU
Puch :blink: A mate of mine bought one, poor little bike, got thrashed badly, but it was his decision to buy a motor bike that prompted this comment.
In an attempt to dissuade him from buying a bike, everywhere we went for the preceeding month was done with all the windows in the car open - wind, cold, or rain, we got it all! Somewhere in my old movies I have film of him doing wheelstands on that poor little red Puch. :dry:

Picture is similar to his . . . :blush:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
5 years 3 months ago #198589 by wee-allis
Brother had a Puch scooter, about 25cc size.
To change gear, you rotated the left,(I think), hand grip. Anyway, after years on the farm, this system either wore out or broke, so he rigged up a floor change between your legs.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198595 by roKWiz
I forgot to include a VJ Valiant Ranger wagon to my list earlier, I remember loading it full of used solid red common bricks from the brickyard at Nth Ryde and taking them home for a paved area I was laying. Geeze it wallowed around and that was before it was loaded.
Had a little "Nifty Fifty" scooter living at top of Terrigal's Scenic Hwy. You had to run besides it coming home to kick it up the last bit of the climb. Served us well as in tourist season we couldn't park anywhere near the shops. Automatic crap.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198599 by PDU
Transit Van - short wheelbase (early model with the piggy type snout ) loaded with bricks up to waist height!!! Sat nicely on the bump stops and was driven about five miles, two loads. Surprised me how it didn't even feel strained at all. Overloaded officer? :whistle:

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #199683 by Fred in Geelong
Back in '86 l bought my very first car, before l had my license. It was a '76 XC Falcon GS. I really liked the look of the XC's and the GS twin headlights. Besides, l couldn't find an XC Fairmont GXL at the time. My brother liked mine so much, he actually managed ta pick up a GXL Fairmont, but that all ended at Farmhouse Corner near Gunning in March '89. My next ride was an '80 UC Sunbird (stop laughin' so hard). I then got an '80 WB ute which served me well for many years, and we carted some pretty big loads. When that ol' warhorse was put out ta pasture l got a '97 XH Falcon XR6 ute. On more than 1 occasion the Tickford tickled 6 pack and the 5 speed nearly gave me whiplash, as they were very torquey (In my view anyway).The ride of the moment is '06 VE Dunnydore!

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by IHScout.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199701 by cobbadog
WOW, your the first bloke I've heard that owns up to owning a Sunbird. Now that takes some "balls", well done.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

More
5 years 1 month ago #199715 by Fred in Geelong
Thanks mate. It had the Starfire engine and a T bar auto. I bought it from ex TNT subbie Ron Laney, who by this time was a car yard owner. Although it was a very tidy car, l had nothin' but trouble with the carby, l was glad ta get rid of it!

More
5 years 1 month ago #199716 by overnite
That carby always was the archillies heel was these
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds