Skip to main content

Cars ............................ we've owned

More
5 years 3 months ago #198477 by micq
Probably miss some but will give it a go .
1972 XL 350 Honda
HQ ute 308
XB ute
HJ premier
XV 1000 yamaha
Ford Ranger 5.8
Sidewinder ski boat 454 chev,berkley jet
1979 Trans Am
HZ statesman

Ford Landau

1986 nissan skyline

EA falcon

80 series landcruiser

toyota camry

corrola

X8 Crewman ute

Jeep Comander

Jeep Wrangler diesel

Dual Cab landcruiser

Currently have

76 series landcruiser

MB 180

AT4 353

D5N 400

625 SXC KTM

Yamaha Wolverine

Plus a few farm vehicles & bikes .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198483 by Morris
I spent ages typing my list and, as usual, it disappeared. This time after I had hit preview and was checking it'

Been watching this thread and was not going to contribute but see that you have all had crap cars, so here goes:-
1948 Vauxhall 10hp.
First car, bought from dealer two weeks before 16th Birthday and driven 30 miles to work and back each day until old enough to get licence.
1959 Austin Cambridge
Same body as Freeway. Gave Vauxhall to Sister.
1954 Humber 80
Badge engineered Hillman Minx.
Bought to do up from mate "The Pirate." he had a sunken chest. (Failed Army medical)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
Traded Humber, plus cash, to neighbour.
1964 EH Holden panel van. Hi-Comp 149, three on tree. Bought 1967 while living YMCA central Sydney. Top too high for city traffic, second too low. Had to row up and down gears in every block. Made for Australian conditions? My Eye :woohoo: All traffic did 40 MPH except Dennis Fire Engines that lumbered along at 20!
1957 Mark 2 Ford Zepher.
Traded down from EH when dropped piston at Crystal Brook in SA on way back from tour of Vic, NSW, Qld, and NT. Owned it for 23 days until mate rolled it at intersection in 60 K zone.
1954 Vauxhall Velox
Changed clutch plate with car sitting on wheels. No ramps, no blocks. Hard work replacing gearbox. :angry:
1957? FC Holden ute with hard canopy - for work.
1968 Datsun ute with hard canopy - for work.
1969 MG Midget - for fun :evil:
1969 Ford Capri - the real German designed, British built Coupe, not the later Mazda chopped up rag top from Ford Broadmeadows.
1955 Daimler Conquest with Wilson Pre-selector - great novelty.
1979 Ford Cortina Ghia
Seven Bluebird station wagons from 1974 to 1976. One for me, one for Wife, too many to work on. Bought one not going for $50 - removed electrical cable I wanted, replaced two wheels with new tyres with two bald ones, sold it for $120.
Holden HQ wagon with 253.
1979 Ford Telstra - the good one with 2.1 engine. Badge engineered Mazda 626.
2006 Mercedes Vito van
Easy for fat old bloke with buggered back to get in and out of - still drive it when Wife not.
1996 Mercedes E230 - saw it on side of road with $2500 on windscreen. 20 years old but why not? :ohmy: - still driving it.

There could be a couple missing from list.

Plus hobby vehicles, still got most of them:-
1926 Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler Oldest known in world.
1927 Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler
1929 Chevrolet ute
1948? Thornycroft 2 tonner with ER4 petrol.
1950 Morris Commercial LC3
1952 Morris Commercial NVS Fire Engine
1954 Morris Commercial LD van
1958 Morris Commercial Mk 3, five tonner
1960 Morris Commercial 3 tonner
1962 Morris Major Elite
1965? Thornycroft Nubian with straight eight RR and factory cab - now for sale cheap.
1965? Thornycroft Nubian with Wormald Airport Crash Tender body - now for sale cheap.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 months ago #198484 by Swishy
Morrie m80
eye feel your pain

nut n worse than 2 finger typing ........... play n hunt & peck @ the Keyboard

:lol: ;) :lol:

nuther Version on keep n it safe wen typing
after a few lines swipe n copy (az in edit mode)
bash sum more into keyboard n swipe copy again
wen finished swipe copy B 4 U hit preview
th@ way if it pissappears
all U got do iz then hit paste n back 2 where U should/could/would B

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 3 months ago #198487 by PaulFH
Like the " Crap Cars " comment Morrie.
They were available, affordable and beat walking and pushbikes.
Fun learning to keep them on the road with the help of wreckers.
Something to talk about over a beer - who had the best vehicle.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198490 by Morris
Swishy,
Good plan. I are pretty hopeless at 'puter. Wood love to be good enuf to be two finger typist. I manage that some of the time but mostly "hunt n peck"
On forum, how do I "swipe n copy"?
The options I can see are all in Internet explorer. I just tried it but did not make sense.

Is it File
Save as

and then wot?

PaulFH,
Is that "best car" or "worst car"?

Was talking cars to guys at work when I was 20 YO. Talking newest car/best car Etc. My 5 year old Austin was newest car in carpark, other than Bosses Mk 2 Jaguar Company Car.
Told 'em I had 1948 Vauxhall. One guy said with a sneer "well, why do you drive your Father's car to work?" I told him I have never driven my Father's car to work.
He asked whose is the Austin, then? That's mine as well I told him. Silence.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
5 years 3 months ago #198493 by Roderick Smith
181027Sa Melbourne 'Age' - first cars, part of a major article.
I guess that the first is the distinctive jut-jaw Toyota Corolla.
The second looks to be UK, and looks to be a Ford Taunus (Germany) or a local model based on one.
Roderick

Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #198494 by Morris
I think the Ford is an English Corsair. It just might be first model Cortina, badged Consul Cortina.

I'm gritting my teeth,

More
5 years 3 months ago #198496 by JOHN.K.
When the roadworthy inspection came in in Qld,that was the end of the cheap old bangers.....before that you could get a registered single spinner Ford for ten quid,but most teens went for Ford Prefects and Morris Z s,cause fuel was cheap ....but not to an apprentice on a couple of quid a week......Anyhoo,I never had cars ...just bikes.and plenty of them....there was no roadworthy on bikes for years after cars .......

More
5 years 3 months ago #198498 by ray
57 Vanguard Spacemaster
63 Wolseley
67 Landcruiser SWB
69 Landcruiser Ute
76 Suzuki 4x4 soft top
76 Suzuki 4x4 Hard top
66 Landcruiser Tray
73 Range Rover
76 Landcruiser Troopy
77 Range Rover
86 HJ60 Landcruiser
Currently have,
99 VW Caravelle
2002 V8 Discovery
58 4W65 Nissan Patrol
24 Amilcar
58 International 110
2006 Nissan X-trail ( wifes )
Plus
2006 Hyosung 250 Cruiser
Honda 750 Cruiser
86 Royal Enfield Diesel

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198511 by Roderick Smith
My father bought a second-hand Bean in the early 1930s, based on the reputation established by Francis Birtles with Australian-outback expeditions. It gave nothing but trouble (broken stub axles on rough roads). He bought a new motorbike. I'd have to hunt for the make, but I suspect BSA. Surprisingly, during his Tooradin years, he used a pushbike to school. He had the motorbike when posted in the early war years to teach refugee UK children at Bannongill (near Skipton). He used the meagre petrol ration to ride to Beaufort to catch trains to/from Melbourne. When governments decided that the ship journey was more dangerous than staying in UK, my father sold the motorbike, the piano and the boat and went into the army. During the bleak postwar years, it was pushbike only. His cousin lent a Citroen as a car to the wedding, and a local farmer lent a big Ford for the married couple's transfer to the reception. He bought a Fiat 500 Topolino between my birth and my brother's. That involved a long waiting list, and Devon Motors kept fobbing him off. He went in one day: 'I live in South Melbourne, and I have just watched the ship dock'. He got the car. It was small, but surprisingly advanced for its day: a radiator blind (which helped my mother drive through flooded spoon drains), an effective heater and a water-alcohol injector (to doctor low-quality fuel). It was a shopping car, a regular picnic car (to a ring of places about 60 km from Melbourne), a weekend car (to my grandfather at Nar Nar Goon) and an annual long-distance holiday car (Anglesea, Traralgon, Inverloch). It was grossly inadequate when two more boys were born, and was traded in on a Holden EK in 1962 (written up in my post to this thread). In 1975 he downsized to a small Mazda wagon, which saw him through to his death in 1984. Along the way he cycled to school to keep the car clear for my mother, then got a moped (which embarrassed his teenage sons, as he was now a principal), then a Yamaha or Suzuki 80cc (reliving his younger days). He had been considering a Simca Aronde wagon in 1962, and Simca and Holden kept upping the tradein (50 pounds, then 100, then 150 and Holden won at 200, as it was model runout time). If he hadn't got such a good tradein for the Fiat, he was going to put it on blocks until I was 17. I would probably have wrecked it. Now I would treasure it as a collector's item to take to rallies.
The first photo was my final view of the car. 2 hours later, we were poring over the gleaming new EK. My photo.
The second photo shows the Fiat, heading to Traralgon for a holiday staying with friends. Warragul. Mon.6.1.1958. My father's photo.

Roderick

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: added a gap between the photos.

Time to create page: 0.661 seconds