Skip to main content

Acco 1950 A 1972

More
15 years 10 months ago #1818 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Still too far from the ground

What do you reckon Barry any stories to tell ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1819 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Bono, stick a bar in between the chassis and the flywheel housing and give it a wobble. If engine mounts are loose or cactus she will pop out of gear when you back off.
Just a note to add from a post the other day. If you go down the route of turboing this engine be careful. Agree you can get the turbo and all its pipes and bits from a tractor but be carefull as the factory turbo tractor engines as used in the 976 and 986A and B series have different connecting rods to that of the natural D358. Turbo rods have an extra oil drilling in them for piston cooling. If the engine is well worn you will get away with it but if she's still in good nick and you really load it up on a big hill dont be surprised if number six pistion picks up. This is why after market kits run real low boost.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #1820 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
He's got a zillion! Here's a few Neuss-related Barry stories:

We used to refer to the Neuss engine in the workshop affectionatly as the "a*sehole engine".....everyone's got one...Just about everything Inter made in the eighties had a Neuss in it - Tractors, headers, trucks etc. One of my apprentices used to laugh when I would put him on wash bay duty cleaning a*seholes. You can imagine all the other associated jokes the boys would come up with when working on them. A farmer came in once and said to my leading hand, "Clint, how's my engine going?" Clint replied "I'm just about to ream your a*sehole". Look on farmer's face was priceless.

Another one:
A local cartage contractor had an ACCO that was losing water somewhere and my apprentice wrote on the job card "A*sehole has a hole in it"! When we found the problem and repaired it I overheard the apprentice telling the owner he had found the leak and had, quote, "sealed his a*sehole up real good".

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1821 by GM Diesel
Bono, In referance to the cab width. I over estimated the ACCO's handling capabilities a long down hill run and spent some quality time in a spoon drain port side down. It wasnt eating grass out of the left passenger window that hurt it was a thermos full of coffee that was a couple of seconds behind me. Fair square in the back of the head. Not to mention the kick in the pants I got from the old man for giving 15 tons of fertilizer to someone else over the fence !
Barry

More
15 years 10 months ago #1822 by Bono
I do that first thing tonight and check it over. When the gas come off it's almost instantaneous, really quick.

On the turboing its something ill not get the chance to do straight away, my jobs are starting to pile up and need to get on the road pretty soon, then fix as i go, so the turbo option i ll really have to assess

I see your reply on the inside cab dimensions, what a ripper, something i don't intend doing.... but i dont intend on al ot of things - lol

More
15 years 10 months ago #1823 by Bono
Andy,

i 'm not even gonna try and respond with one of my own... could get in trouble - lol.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #1824 by Bono
Barry,

Forgot to add Chassis - B01724 as epr the compliance plate
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by Bono.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1825 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Those are Barry's stories, Bono. I haven't got many myself besides getting CAT 777s and 785s sideways, being the only person in our volunteer fire and rescue brigade to get the Land Rover light tanker bogged twice (different fires), and driving my old Chev on a permit...half an hour before the permit started and pulling up in Beverley (WA) to put oil in the diff...across from the police station...

No ACCO stories yet. ;)

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

More
15 years 10 months ago #1826 by GM Diesel
Bone,
Check the chassis number on the compliance plate against what is stamped on the chassis. If its the same then it is a 1950 thats had a running gear change or parts of. If its different let me know and I can work out what it is.
Barry

More
15 years 10 months ago #1827 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
I heard many ACCO stories when researching the book, one from an old IH salesman was that on a still night you could hear the cab rusting. This was fixed in 86 with the galvanised cab.
If the gearbox has a normal pattern ie first gear is left and back than I think it would be an Eaton SMA 475 If first gear is to the right an forwards it is a probably a Fuller 5W43. In IH books these boxes are referred to as T253 and T54 respectively. I think only the T54 was used with the 3 speed Joey.
GVM of 23000lbs is pretty low, about 11 ton, might pay to check that.

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds