15 years 10 months ago #1858 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Barry what do you know about BEDFORD'S ;D ;D ;D.Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1859 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Hello Dave,
Dont know much about bedfords exept skin off changing a waterpump on a TK.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1860 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Bono,
I used to drive a ACCO with a Perkins and I expect yours will be similiar. If you are loaded on the flat , 2nd gear low diff was best for starting then 3rd low, 4th low, 5th low and then 5th high if needed. When approaching a hill you can go down to 4th high or 5th low ( the ratio is much the same) but I refer 5th Low otherwise you may need to make a quick compound shift ie diff and main box at the same time as the hill gets steeper. ( Not always a success) Ist gear low diff is pretty low, handy on soft ground or a very steep bit.
Where is the switch for the 2 speed diff, it really needs to be on the gear lever where you can operate it and shift gears at the same time.
Anyhow see what works for you when you get the truck on the road.
May need a bit of practice to master the old girl.

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #1861 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
2 speed diffs are not that hard to master. My AR162 has one and a 4 speed transmission. I had never riven a 2-speed diff (or even a truck regularly) before this.

I tend to drive it different ways depending what mood I am in. On Hills I tend to split the diff from high 4th to low 4th first then start back through the gears although normally low 4th is as far as I need to go. There seems to be a big gap between high 3rd and high 4th in my box which is ok on a flat or downhill but can be an issue on a steep grade (such as coming out of the Burnley Tunnel) or the highway with a load. I need it on Pretty Sally loaded or not!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by bparo.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
15 years 10 months ago #1862 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
2 speed diffs R easy to handle

jist drive it as tho itz stolen :D

LOL

U drive a screemer jimmy diesel the same way

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
15 years 10 months ago #1863 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Hi Pete,

I'll give your way a go as soon as its on the road. The switch is just hanging at the moment so ill have to fix it to the lever. Only its a like a plunger you either push in or pull out. When its depressed its a little tricky to pull out, i imagine even more so when driving and changing gears. Still im gonna like giving it a go -lol

More
15 years 10 months ago #1864 by GM Diesel
If its the red button type two speed switch and its a normal one it will vibrate and drive you nuts. If it doesnt vibrate your lucky or its a new switch. If it does sculpture yourself a piece of old thong to put in between the stick and the button or an elastic band works also.
Normally when in low/high you can preselect low/high with the button and it wont change until you back off the throttle or change the main box but be pre warned. If you do pre select dont forget youve done it. If you select low near the top of a hill then decide not to use it as soon as you start to run down hill and ease the throttle off it will try and get low. Most of the time it will make a frightfull grating noise...if your lucky. If unlucky it will get into low and can damage things...this is what nuess cranks dont like. For guys like Pete that have driven these alot will know what im on about. I suggest you puddle around abit and master the main box. Once your comfortable with that then start messing with the two speed. Having a dog in the cab that likes to come over for a cuddle is a good way for an unitensional pre select also...are you having fun yet.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1865 by Bono
Hi Barry,

The box has been a wrestling match up until now, especially gearing down , just can never get it into gear when slowing down, but suppose it has alot to do with the revs. No real button at all, just a stem, it will be a pain, but i'll think of somethiing. My Mrs has a set of thongs that will be just perfect to cut into shape.

Relined the brakes last night and forgot to note the diff. Half day today so il check this afternoon.

Its great the responses i've received, really appreciate it. I'm the first to admit i am no expert, but love to have a go and your help really makes the difference.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1866 by GM Diesel
Bono, Dont be to worried about mashing a few gears until you get the hang of it. Only tip I can give you is dont be in a rush. Steady as she goes and with a bit of practice they will fall in for you. Dont ever be afraid to ask someone to give a hand if your having trouble. Sometimes one small pointer from an experienced one can make all the difference. I will send some front axle info over today. Its interesting how Inters used the same parts on many US and Aus models over the years. The front spider hubs on yours are the same as my CO 190 and Loadstar front ends. Barry

More
15 years 10 months ago #1867 by Bono
Cheers Barry.

Good to know theres somewhere to ask for help. On the parts side of things interesting is one, confusing is another, especially when trying to order. Hope to keep this one for a while. Just got the kingpins, steering adjust and gear box to go. But always wanted a acco cab over.

I've run my 1510 over the last 4-5 years, its done well, but just dosent have the carry. Never really let me down at all. My bro lives in Somerville and has one of those stand on loaders. She'll suit that style of work so i bet shell go another 100000

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds