Skip to main content

Acco 1950 A 1972

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #1888 by huppypuppy
Replied by huppypuppy on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972

the switches are avail new(very cheap)also the 12V electric motor(although some are air operated on the accos)that changes the range in the diff are only around $70 from truckline ..i changed the diff centre/new 2 speed motor etc etc in my acco at Xmas ..only to sell the old girl in march :-X

Bono,

Have you an Ashdown-Ingram store near you? I found the switch for the diff change only - part # 06-24560 and the change motor - 06-20012 (12V) and 06-20024 (24V). If you contact me off forum at josephhuppATbigpond.com, will forward you the catalogue section!

Joe
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Andy Wright.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1889 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Thanks Joe, i'll send u my email addy for that catalogue if its ok with u.

Barry, used only grade 5, 3 stripes UNC so i'll swap em out tomorrow. Better the wheels stay where they are - on the truck.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1890 by huppypuppy
Bono,

Catalogue's on it's way - 2 speed diff stuff is on page 4!

Joe

More
15 years 9 months ago #1891 by Bono
Thx Joe, i'll be checking it out straight away.
cheers

More
15 years 9 months ago #1892 by huppypuppy
Bono,

I do know they stock them - you're talking to a former Ashdown-Ingram employee here!

Joe

More
15 years 9 months ago #1893 by Bono
Hi Joe,

Got em priced for future refernce. The motor i have is still going ok - they wanted about 200 and about 45 for the switch, shop is local so thats a good thing. I succeeded in gettting a knob on the switch i have now. Dont know how long it will last.... a while i think if i can remember to put the gear in reverse before i lift the cab .... i think that must be how the original one went

More
15 years 9 months ago #1894 by huppypuppy
Bono,

At least you know what they're worth should the time come and you do need to replace it! They can't be that hard to fit but, if you think it's not such a good idea to DIY, it's best left to those who know!

By the way, I also know someone (he used to be my boss at Ashdown-Ingram) who runs a transmission and differential shop - details and correct phone number below! If you ring them, ask for Chris Chown and tell him you know me! They offer free technical advice and might even be able to help you with specifics on the driveline in your old girl!

Dubbo Diff & Driveline
92 Fitzroy St, Dubbo, NSW 2830
(02) 68820242

Joe

More
15 years 9 months ago #1895 by Bono
Joe,

Yes your right, but really its just good to know where to go to get em. I wish i had your contact a day ago so i could compare prices. I shopped around her in Melbourne. best i could do for 3 rd and 4 th gear was 150.00 each, but with other odds and sods (dog, collars hub sleeve) spent
about 600.00 bucks, still i might need some other bits so i'll be sure to give him a call as soon i get a clearer picture what is required.
Cheers.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1896 by huppypuppy
Mate,

Always good to be of assistance - but there is another place I would try here as well - incidentially it is just next to Dubbo Diff!

M&S Truck Transmissions
88 Fitzroy Street DUBBO, NSW 2830
(02) 68844655

Joe

More
13 years 11 months ago #1897 by Acco 1830C
Replied by Acco 1830C on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972

Bono,
I used to drive a ACCO with a Perkins and I expect yours will be similiar. If you are loaded on the flat , 2nd gear low diff was best for starting then 3rd low, 4th low, 5th low and then 5th high if needed. When approaching a hill you can go down to 4th high or 5th low ( the ratio is much the same) but I refer 5th Low otherwise you may need to make a quick compound shift ie diff and main box at the same time as the hill gets steeper. ( Not always a success) Ist gear low diff is pretty low, handy on soft ground or a very steep bit.
Where is the switch for the 2 speed diff, it really needs to be on the gear lever where you can operate it and shift gears at the same time.
Anyhow see what works for you when you get the truck on the road.
May need a bit of practice to master the old girl.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but geez that brings back memories of my dad's 1830/C, which was also 6.354 with a two speed diff. I remember as a kid that first was pretty useless in traffic cause you basically had to jump into second straight away. But I agree this is definately the best way to drive them, I only remember one very steep hill where 1st low was ever used.

This place is a gold mine for ACCO info, Ive been into them since the age of 6 and still have a keen interest in these fantastic trucks. It's great to see so many people who are knwoledgable and passionate about them aswell.

Wishlist:&&Acco 3070/B with Cummins 903 and 13 speed Road Ranger&&Acco 2150/B with C

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds