Skip to main content

Acco 1950 A 1972

More
15 years 10 months ago #1808 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Cheers Andy,

I hope so, just lucky i got a pal who can help me mechanically otherwise it could get a little too pricy. But then again even if it was, id still probably spend the money. i like the truck, easy to work on, plenty of room and pretty straight forward.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1809 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
the old accos handle good as well with a decent load

More
15 years 10 months ago #1810 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
The single speed diff makes me think it may have had a Roadranger originally. Most, maybe all of the 5 speed ones came with a 2 speed diff. I dont really like 2 speed diffs but they do give you more grunt.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1811 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
i think in the full size"acco cabs" it was the 1600 series(1610a etc)that only had a single speed diff..apart of course the later acco trucks(usually a 6 speed?)

More
15 years 10 months ago #1812 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
I have a IH catalogue from early 70s and it lists the ACCO A 1610/1630 as 4 speed box with single speed diff, the 1710 /1730 as 4 speed box with 2 speed diff and the 1810/1830 as 5 speed box with 2 speed diff. The 1950A is listed with a 5 speed with 3 speed joey box and single speed diff. Ten speed Roadranger was also common.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1813 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Hello All,
We bought 1930A and 1950A trucks new and both had the nuess engines with 5 speed synchro main and three speed overdrive joey's.RA 57 Inter diffs on hendrickson suspension.
1950's were also available in WA with 555 Cummins and 6V-53 Detroits.
The 1930A was air over hyd brakes and the 1950A was full air. What Inters were thinking putting a nuess in a truck of this size is beyond me but they got the job done with a heap of gears. The nuess is a great engine for repowering C and D series 8 tonners. I have turboed a few of them with mixed results. Depending what AR Ratio turbo you use head gaskets become a problem. The factory turbo engine as used in the inter tractors use a special head gasket and different spec injection pump that is not supplied with the after market kits. If you are ever tempted to undo a big end for a look make sure the used rod bolts get binned. This is the nuess's achilles heel. I usually remove them and cut them in half before binning them. I have the Inter manuals you are after. The truck itself is one manual, the engine another, injection another and so on. If there are any particular pages you need let me know and I can copy them for you. If you can find an Inter dealer you may find some of the manuals are still available. If you want the Inter part numbers for the manuals let me know.
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1814 by Bono
Hi Barry,

The part number for the manuals would be a great help. Thats half the battle. I see your comment on the heap of gears, mine only has the straight 5 gears. First 3 spaced really close.

I havent got to the box yet but i was hoping you could send info regarding linkage arrngement and the box. Its popping out of second, might be the linkage or a stuffed syncro.

Also gonna give the kingpins a go and ask if you have workshop details for this.

I hope it dosent put you out too much, but it be a really great help
Cheers.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1815 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
No problem. I will dig out the manual numbers on the weekend for you. Also copy some pages your after.
When you tilt the cab the stick stays where it is in a plate with a rubber seal around it. Below the plate there is a knuckle in the linkage. Sometimes if this knuckle is worn the linkage doesnt quiet get enough throw to engage the detent in the box and second will lose the plot. You will get the gear but it wont stay in. Also if the cab mount rubbers in the support arms and tilt latch setup are worn it can effect the gear linkages. Worn shift rod going into box itself can also give trouble. The box itself I think will be an Eaton SMA475 which you will be able to find all over the place if something is cactus inside. In anycase they are easy to work on with no special tools required. From what I can gather it was only a handfull of early 1950A's that had a nuess. The B's and D's mostly had VT190 or 555 Cummins and roadrangers. Now to throw a spanner in your works. Atkipete's comments got me thinking. Ive never seen 1950A with a nuess that didnt have a joey box with a single speed diff. Ive not seen a roadranger behind a nuess. Im not aware of RR ever having an SAE 3 flywheel housing to suit the nuess. Only 1800 or 1900 series Ive ever seen with the single speed rockwell diff were rubbish trucks with allison autos and a nuess or the cummins versions with a RR. There is offcoase another scenario that happens abit these days and that is it has had a cab swap or a badge swap and it may infact be an 1830A. If you can get the chassis number for me I will be able to tell you for sure. Look for stamped number on the chassis rail around the left front spring hanger. The cab plate on the door jam should give you some details also. A picture of the front wheel would also be good. Front hubs/axle are different between 1950 and 1800 A series. This will also help me to give you the right kingpin notes from the manuals. Ignoring all my dribble you have yourself a good truck and you will get alot of fun out of it. Keep it upright though. If you tip it on its side you really get to know how wide the cab is, its along way to fall !
Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1816 by Bono
hey Barry,

Your the 2nd guy to doubt that she is a 1950A. Chappy at Thomastown wreckers from memory said the same thing. Ill double check that linkage first up after i change the cab mount bushes. She semms to pop as soon as the foot goes off the gas. Gearing down is almost impossible so going to have to get into it on the weekend. I'll take some detailed pics to show which may help with the id and other issues. I'll take a pic of the wheel but i think the kingpin should be for the fa100.

the cab plate deatils are pretty sparse

acco 1950A - wb135
acco a series c ma
gvm ithink was around 23000
and total 55000 .... ithink from memory

I reallly like this truck and glad u think its a good one ... and no i dont intend to get on its side especially with no belts lol.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1817 by Andy Wright
Replied by Andy Wright on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
You could always swing off the steering wheel, Bono... :D

Almost sounds as though Baz is talking from experience?

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds