Skip to main content

Acco 1950 A 1972

More
15 years 10 months ago #1868 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
You need to mount that switch for the diff on the gear lever just below the gear knob . That way you can rest the palm of your hand on the gear knob and operate the switch with two fingers at the same time. There is a little bit of an art to it, I used to get it right about 49 times out of 50 but that one time that didnt work was usually half way up a cliff.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1869 by atkipete
Also clean the front axle carefully and look for cracks around the king pin area. Check the whole front end but there in particular.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1870 by Bono
Replied by Bono on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Hi Pete,

Got to figure a way to get a knob on the plunger otherwise i think ill be struggling. Going over the axles to day as per your advice, give it a good look over.

Got the wog, hit me like a ton of bricks, but no rest for the wicked.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1871 by atkipete
I think it just screws on, otherwise a replacement switch is the way to go. Just thinking , If the switch for the 2 speed diff was not being used there may be a problem with the diff itself. ie they just got it into high and left it there.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1872 by kennymopar
Replied by kennymopar on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
the switches are avail new(very cheap)also the 12V electric motor(although some are air operated on the accos)that changes the range in the diff are only around $70 from truckline ..i changed the diff centre/new 2 speed motor etc etc in my acco at Xmas ..only to sell the old girl in march :-X

More
15 years 10 months ago - 15 years 10 months ago #1873 by Bono
hi guys,

Been crook as a dog, just getting on my feet. Its put me back a bit.
Fixed the switch by finding a knob and using some chemweld paste. Seems like its worked well. Motor seems to spin ok so hope i'll be ok. Dont know why they were left in low. i gave it a squirt the other day but one of the wires came lose and it stopped working

i'll know more in a day or so

Theyre some good prices Andy. I f they go wrong ill be straight down there

Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by Bono.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1874 by Bono
Hi Guys,

Meant to post earlier, just too much on. Stumped by the 2 step kingpin. Finally gave up and went to Adtrans. Gonna cost me but already lost too much time. Left it to them for reaming, just didnt have the tools.

2 spped seems to go ok, all working ok it seems. I was hoping to ask you guys opinion on running the gear box as is for a while. If i hold it in third she stays put. Wouldit last? Also, my mate is keen to strip the box and replace what gears need doing, likely what podge said int hte dog teeth and or bushing. Would these still be available ? Any pointers where i could get them. Not sure which way to go.

15 years 9 months ago #1875 by
Replied by on topic Re: Acco 1950 A 1972
Hi Bono contact podge he would have a good shd box or maybe some good gears if not he will be able tell you where to go. Dave

More
15 years 9 months ago #1876 by atkipete
Once a gearbox is jumping out of gear it needs to come off the road. You are only doing more damage to it.

More
15 years 9 months ago #1877 by Bono
hi guys,

Hoping you could advise on changing king pins. Its a 2 step pin. They are reamed and snug fit, but alot of up and down movement. Would it need shims or does the bottom pin take up the slack.

Any advice would be great.

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds