Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
7 years 1 day ago #181907 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Old trucks

Big gear yet the date is 67. Taken from the Trawlermen Facebook page.
Outrider's bike looks about right for the 60's, Austin is a bit older.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #181914 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Old trucks
The "trailer" looks like an old 4x4 truck chassis.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183014 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Old trucks

xspanrman wrote: The excavator behind the old Dodge has Allied written on the side. I remember my boss Phil Coleman telling me about taking Allied Constructions equipement to the Snowy Mountains. One particular job that I remember, was taking a tracked excavator ( maybe the one in the photo) in 2 pieces , the cab on 1 truck and the lower half on the second truck. At the Snowy Mountain site the cab was parked under the tree and lifted by block and tackle, then the tracks were dragged underneath and the machine was assembled. The trucks at that time were operated by Ward and Coleman of Balgownie. Ex military NR Macks. GMC , blitzes and Internationals. In 1960 the partnership was dissolved and P.B. Coleman started operations at Corrimal until 2000. and Dave Ward stayed at Balgownie.
In that 40 years Colemans did a lot of work for Allied who had divisions under the names of Allied Plant, Allied Constructions, B and W Steel, Allied was very involved with the local steel and mining industry as well as construction projects across the state.

Here is a picture of P.B. Coleman,s Kenworth carting an Allied crane in the mid 90's I think the job it was going to was near Orange NSW.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
6 years 11 months ago #183092 by Roderick Smith
170524W Melbourne 'Age' -19541018 Spencer St / Clarendon St.
Too many cars to get the lot: Ford Consul, assorted Holden FX/FJ, Triumph Mayflower, Morris Minor lowlight, Vauxhall Velox, Ford Prefect, Austin A40.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
6 years 10 months ago #183974 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
Melbourne Express: Thursday, June 15, 2017.
Slow news day in the Age on this day in 1948: truck breaks in two, cement arrive from England, seal eats a fish.
< www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-exp...20170614-gwrdtp.html >

119480615 Age - truck.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #184712 by Roderick Smith
Weston Langford was a railway enthusiast in Victoria, who went on to a professional railway civil-engineering career in Victoria, WA and Canada. Before his death, he scanned his photo collection and placed the lot at a website. His son-in-law has pledged to keep the site alive, as it is a wonderful resource for transport enthusiasts. Metro Twitter keeps linking to some for nostalgia views. These two views have been cropped from the original of one linked on Saturday. I have kept them at Weston's hi-res size so that you can identify as many as possible. I have also kept the cars, and not just the truck: earlier posts with cars have roused interest too. 1964: over 50 years ago; I was seeing these cars on showroom floors.
19640708W 104818 Flinders St at Spencer St (Melbourne, Vic.). (Weston Langford)
The link: A lot has changed in 53 years at the intersection of Flinders/Spencer St! Much less blue too. 8.7.1964 Weston Langford photo.
< www.westonlangford.com/images/photo/104818 >

Roderick

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #184715 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Old trucks
Bottom right - '58 Plymouth Belverdere. The upholsterer on Bribie did one of them up when I was a teenager. (80's)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 9 months ago #184716 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Old trucks
Roderick, that Spencer/Clarendon st picture.... how busy would those two boys in blue have been.... only a whistle, a steely stare and a loud voice to keep order with. (Sometimes a wack on the roof above a stupid driver would make them feel better) :ohmy: :evil: .....
They were trained in traffic management/direction way back.... not any more. :dry:

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
6 years 9 months ago #184736 by Roderick Smith
Any id on the red truck in the 1964 photo? Make/model/year? I am guessing Morris. IIRC, PMG had a fleet.

Roderick

More
6 years 9 months ago #184742 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Old trucks
It does look like a Morris Commercial LC3. (happy to be corrected)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Time to create page: 0.542 seconds