OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158872 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Re: FODEN
Hello Dazza,
Interesting photos, no air con then!
Not trying to be picky, it could be manganese from Horseshoe to Meekatharra, Peak Hill was gold.
Wonder how that ore was loaded on to the train at Meeka, I have seen kibbles on rail at Geraldton being winched to a ship and emptied.
Because of punctures Bells had a trailer fitted with an electro magnet to pick up nails on that road.
David.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by wouldyou.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158873 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Re: FODEN
[IMG

Found one more. Going back to the shot of the burnt out Inter at Calga (reply #60 , second photo), I found this one of the front of the truck. It clearly shows the garage to the right in the background of reply #74 of Calga Motors ( Ampol ). I was back there over the weekend, and it is the same building still standing. Also the side on shot of the burnt out wreck with my dad with his back to us, is the workshop, which is still standing also, but severly overgrown with vines. Also in reply #60,(first photo) showing the roadhouse, which I believe is now a residence, although very much modified. Check this photo with the Google earth photo, the curve of the road in the background of both shots seems to match up. These 3 buildings are virtually all that remains of a once thriving town.
[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by overnite.

More
8 years 10 months ago #158874 by Giddy up Go
Replied by Giddy up Go on topic Re: FODEN
....G'day Dazza, absolute 'gold' thank you for posting. Very interesting history & pics mate. You probably know Bob Foster...authored the books 'Birdum or Bust' and 'Beyond Birdum'...Both compelling reading with pics. They cover his working life in "The Territory" from the 1950's thru to the 1970's. He outlines his time with O'Neil's at ABM Australian Blue Metal working all over the NT with a mobile plant same as your pics...(same one ??) Both books contain plenty of 'Foden action'... :) Loved the "steel trip",gotta build a shed...'Lets duck over to "The Castle" for a load of steel... ;D.
...Overnite,glad you shook that 'shoebox' upside down to find that last pic at Calga. You been out 'n bout on trip down memory lane conducting site investigation...all very interesting. Thank you. Giddy.

"Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there....."

More
8 years 10 months ago #158875 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Re: FODEN
Hi to you fellas from 'Up Over' in the UK. Picking up on earlier postings by Detective (No. 24), overnight (No. 25) and Mammoth (Nos. 55 & 69) reason for so many variations of cabs on AEC vehicles is quite simply that AEC did not build vehicles with cabs! At least not until the mid/late 1960s when the 'Ergo' cab which was also used by Leyland and Albion was introduced. Previously all you got was the sheet metal either side of the radiator and the floor with provision for a rudimentary seat and the electrical box housing voltage control and switches. This assembly was known as the cab structure. Many dealers and bodybuilders here made and fitted their own design cabs (the reason behind such a variety of styles), Park Royal Coachworks only a few miles/kms from Southall building many of them. These bare chassis were driven all over the country by suitably well-attired drivers. Sometimes a temporary windscreen was added or they wore goggles.

Some of the post WW2 Mammoth Majors were fitted with a 9.6 engine instead of the regular 7.7. One of these that I examined also had a revised braking system. The earlier one just had a vacuum servo-hdraulic on all wheels, the one I looked at, while retaining this for the rear bogie had vacuum cylinders for the front axle.

Into Foden personally, if someone can tell me how to post photos here I'll put some up of mine.

More
8 years 10 months ago #158876 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: FODEN
Gudday 8 pot if you go to forum FAQ theres plenty of posts on posting photo's

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1402409236

So Mr 8 pot I guess you would be the person to speak to about straight Gardners ???

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
8 years 10 months ago #158877 by Eightpot
Sorry mrsmackpaul, but photo bucket has changed since the advice was written and is now nothing like it by way of instruction. It took 3 goes just to join up, and since then I've got nowhere so am giving up for the moment. Why do these people make things so difficult???????

Photos therefore on hold for the moment, regretfully.

I have got 2 Gardner 8LW engines (150 bhp, and not to be confused withe 240 bhp 8LXB), one in a Foden FGHT8/80 heavy haulage tractor of March 1958, the other I fetched back from Belgium where it was originally in a Miesse vehicle.

I am given to understand that only 237 8LW engines were built, most I suspect were in Fodens supplied to your part of the world. >:(

More
8 years 10 months ago #158878 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: FODEN
Eightpot,
when you have your Picture album/libary up in Photobucket. hover the mouse icon over a photo ..
3 horizontal lines will appear in the bottom left hand corner & a circle with an arrow in the right hand corner..
Click on the 3 horizontal lines, a menu will appear.
click on share links. a pop up Menu will appear.
on the RHS under "photo links" click on the Bottom one tilted "IMG" it will say copied
then come back to your post here..
right click then click on "paste"
then you can either preview your post to ensure your photo will appear or just click on post & your Picture will (hopefully) appear..

Hope this helps..
It's a bit like learning to ride a bike..Once your master it Its' easy as..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #158879 by defective
Replied by defective on topic Re: FODEN
...just to help people and tidy up a loose end, maybe one of the mods or admins could right a bit of a wrong here as the pages are progressing...

...it's all to do with "Detective" not actually starting the thread, and it seemed to have happened by the splicing of two threads a little while back. ??
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 10 months ago #158880 by Eightpot
[IMG

If this comes off it will show my 1963 S21 cabbed Timber Tractor. Gardner 6LX engine, 12-speed overdrive gearbox (was a double-underdrive originally) and 5.2 diff in place of the original 6.25 . This along with 11.00 - 20 tyres instead of the original 9.00 - 20 ones (more appropriate for this type of vehicle) has upped the road speed from 33 mph tp 53 mph. An essential to avoid being shunted from behind in the Motorway age here. The back end of the chassis is fitted with a Foden winch of 40,000 lb line-pull capacity. As I'm a bit of an individulist I manage to acquire a pair of cab door wind deflectors - the norm in your part of the world I believe - but only know of one other Foden so fitted here. Snazzy, huh?

Time to create page: 0.504 seconds