Skip to main content

International Farmall AMD

More
6 years 8 months ago #186537 by Mrsmackpaul

JOHN.K. wrote: IH had super salesmen,so they say .

IH had tractors that was a good start, gotta remember back when these buckets of bolts were made they still had import duties and waiting lists so any tractor was good :lol:
And yeah they arent much of a motor but better than petrol

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186546 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic International Farmall AMD

JOHN.K. wrote: I scrapped a reco d AD264 motor last load,saved the head and valves ,dunno what for,its going next time.They wernt much good ,as motors go.IH had super salesmen,so they say .

Shame you weren't here when I pulled it down.
What's the head worth? Has to be better than mine.
I could pick it up next weekend.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 8 months ago #186547 by asw120
This is the injector pump. Moving one pinion moves all 4, but they keep springing back to the same spot, regardless of the throttle position.
Levering a governor weight outwards has some effect.
In the picture, I think is idle / shutoff position. Any advice welcome.
I'm going through the filter at the moment.
Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:

More
6 years 8 months ago #186554 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic International Farmall AMD
It had the same CAV pump,suspect its like the old AECs ,no stopper as such,just closed the throttle until not enough fuel to run.Works by having a spring loaded idle stop,insted of a solid one.I have another of these motore on a compressor,but its got a Simms pump.The big deal with these tractors is the CAV starter,it runs reverse,and is like RHS,and priced accordingly.Give me a 270 Perk any day.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #186555 by asw120

And there was much satisfaction......

Number 4 injector is leaking where the body meets the nozzle, hence not really firing.

I have never owned a can of Aerostart until today. I didn't bother trying to hook up the glowplugs (even though they all meter OK).

I will reassemble the rest of the tractor, knowing I can do the injectors later.

Thanks for your assistance, everyone.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by asw120.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, Southbound

More
6 years 8 months ago #186556 by asw120
John K: I would like to know about that head you have and any other bits. I'm only near Ipswich.
I would rather buy it for a spare than see it go to China.

Thanks, Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 8 months ago #186563 by 180wannabe
Well done Jarrod!!! I have been following with interest. Our 564 Inter had a toyota glowplug conversion kit installed before we bought the tractor, and they seem to work well, although i find the heat up time is at least double that of original glow plugs. Our previous 554 died a slow and painful death, i think from using aerostart only, for too long. My cousin has just fitted a toyota glow plug conversion kit to his 554 and said he got on ok doing it. I think he said he bought the kit on ebay. The toyota glow plugs are cheap to replace.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186565 by Mrsmackpaul
Yep well done Jarrod
The tractor has come a long way, you should be proud as punch she makes smoke
I dunno why but I reckon diesels become addicted to aero start and even with glow plugs these old bangers were never real good starters
IH had or still most likely have a starter fluid for starting the diesels
On frosty mornings most farmers that are leaving Inter tractors in the paddock over night always leave the injector to face the morning sun and this makes a big difference

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #186567 by asw120
I've been as sparing as I can with the Aerostart. It just wouldn't catch without it. I get it cranking first and then feed in just enough. It starts without rattles. Within the next half an hour odd, it will start without it.
I've put a few more bits on it, now (eg exhaust manifold) and got number 4 injector sealed up. Even though I flushed the filter and water trap out and replaced the filter, there is still water in the system (I did drain the fuel tank through the pump!)

Amazingly, it's running on the same diesel it last ran on 20+ years ago! I've been using it as penetrating oil and thought I had nothing to lose by trying it. It's mixed with the water in the system, but seems to run fine on it (OK, a bit "missy"), but much better than in the video after a few more starts.

Indeed, there is no shutoff and I sometimes have to choke it to stop it. At those very low revs it runs smooth as.

Very happy.

Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by asw120.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186568 by 180wannabe
Sounds like you are being very sensible with the aerostart. And yep, once they are warm they usually start up real well. It has been a long time since we had the 554 with that type of pump, but i reckon i was once told that the little knurled knob on the top of the pump is for cold starting. Before operating the starter, pull it up and it will go click. I tried it a couple of times, but it didn't seem to help at all, and just made a lot of extra smoke! Our David Brown also has something similar, with similar results.

I think you have achieved a really great result. Brett.

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds