Skip to main content

1938 Fargo Pickup.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #230212 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Gr8 Pix
keep m cummin

Yes @ - 21c
4 me to take a leek
eye'd neeed a magnifyin glass + tweeeezers

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: someguy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230228 by someguy
Replied by someguy on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Morris, The truck in the picture IS the truck in this forum. I was wondering about the identification of the other truck (A Rugby).:) :)

The overload springs are just sort of sitting there. I removed the stops on the frame and I'm going to remove the overload springs as well. (unless I need themB) As you can see in the pics the rear end and brake backing plates are still grubby.

The rear end is essentially the last thing to rebuild and I'm going to do it in the winter after I get it road worthy this summer. It looks like the ring gear blew up at one time and damaged the housing. It was patched and poorly brazed, so it weeps around the brazing repair. So hopefully it doesn't barf all the old seals out in the meantime.

Yer not lernin if yer mouth is open
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230230 by someguy
Here is the wiring going to the headlights in the engine bay. I added a signal light circuit and made a separate harness for it but I made it look old timey like the rest of the wiring.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950, Tassie Dan, DanB80

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230342 by someguy
After the wiring I had to do a little work on the fuel tank.

There was a baffle loose inside so I removed the tank and went through he fuel neck and set it back in place, a few roset welds on the outside like the factory on the outside of the tank did the trick. The welds were sealed with lead on the outside so I redid that but in modern solder. Some cleaning on the mounting hardware and a quick electrical test on the sender and its ready

A bit of scrubbing and the galvanized tank look really good. The diseased looking piece of foam is the cab to tank seal, its still soft and pliable but being an outhouse for rats and mice for the last 60 years took its toll.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by someguy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950, DanB80

More
2 years 3 months ago #230343 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
The tank is in amazing condition considering its age, you've done well

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, someguy

More
2 years 3 months ago #230344 by someguy
I have been trying to make up for lost time on the Fargo due to this little guy. Its a 75% original paint numbers matching 1958 Canadian Standard 46000 original Miles.
A fellow Millwright friend retired, sold everything (even his dog) and moved to Mexico and this was a car he sold (lucky me).

The Fargo is now priority one again now that bug is running sweet. Its currently quite cold and the bug is running sweet in its 100% stock state. I have been using it as my daily driver all winter and the last week has dipped into the -30ies and the bug handled it happily. At this temp the pathetic heating system is non existent. :lol:

I found some snow chains for it and went out on a particularly snowy evening and that bug would tractor up any hill that giant SUVs were sliding and slipping.

The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, oliver1950

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230364 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Loving the updates.
Near me (sort of) is a place called Moreton Island. As a teenager (80's) there were many (mostly rusted out) Volkswagen beetles with fat back tyres. It seemed they would go most places a LandRover would go. (weight being over the drive).

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by asw120.
The following user(s) said Thank You: someguy

More
2 years 3 months ago #230375 by someguy
Yes asw120, Beetles are legendary in snow in Canada. It is due to the weight over the back wheels and tons of ground clearance.

I'm pretty sure the bug would outclass the Fargo in the snow.

The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
2 years 3 months ago #230382 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
A lot of it has to do with pressure on accelerator (gas? pedal if you speak only American). I couple of years ago, I parked the V8 Ford I was driving (Not mine, borrowed) next to a small, front-wheel-drive Company signwritten four cylinder van on wet grass on a muddy paddock. When twenty-something driver was try to reverse out, as the way to go forward was blocked. I could see his front wheels spinning forward. Three guys were helping push it backwards. I told his passenger "he has it in a forward gear, I can see the wheels spinning." I do not know if she passed the information to boyfriend but she said "No, he has it in a backwards gear." He put it in neutral and the three guys pushed it clear. The driver said "Shitbox car" I replied "No, shithead driver" and I idled the Ford out of the space beside him and took off incase he decided to bash me for insulting him.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, someguy

More
2 years 3 months ago #230400 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1938 Fargo Pickup.
Old boss from the Sydney days always drove Audi's and always went to the snow for the skiing week. Chains are a must there and one day boss was fitting his chains onto the front wheels of the Audi as its front wheel drive. Mr Merc next door who never had a clue did the same. Boss with his sense of humour did not want to disappoint Mr Merc and tell him he was fitting them at the wrong end.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: someguy, V8Ian

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds