Skip to main content

1975 Atkinson restoration

More
3 years 7 months ago #214270 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I'd use POR15 fuel tank sealer.

I've used it three times on different vehicles with excellent results.

On one vehicle I had to flip the diff centre so had to cut the back out of the housing and re-weld it. I painted the outside of the housing with POR15 (not the tank sealer) and it's still holding oil after almost 10 years. Probably should change that oil!

You can get a smaller pack for Motorcycle tanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oilman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214324 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I have also used a similar product to the POR15 that is made in WA and the one I used was for sealing fuel tanks. They came in 2 sizes, one to suit a motorbike size tank and the other was to suit a car or tractor tank. Bought it as a kit with 3 different stages of treatment. All very simple to use and bloody good stuff. When I rang the number it took me to a distributor in Wollongong NSW but each State I believe have their own distributor. With what I had left over I brushed it onto a tool box on the back of Lorry with zero preparation and it stuck to that like the proverbial stuff on a blanket. I think it was called KBS.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oilman

More
3 years 7 months ago #214344 by Torana68
Replied by Torana68 on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
my answer is to take the tank off and look, if its rotten make a new one or consider a Devcon product, they make stuff to fix anything just ask their distributor for which one . I wouldnt use that fuel tank stuff it does come of and isnt designed for the temp in a radiator.
below is a partial list of their stuff.
www.bolt.com.au/devcon-m-18.html

trying to live the retired life

More
3 years 7 months ago #214353 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Tank sealer will come off if you don't follow the procedure correctly.

I'd be talking to KBS or POR15 and see what they suggest.

I do know Devcon failed on a top radiator tank repiar on the Gosling's Dennis that is here hmvf.co.uk/topic/314-ww1-dennis-truck-find/page/76/#comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #214355 by Torana68
Replied by Torana68 on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I do know Devcon failed on a top radiator tank repiar on the Gosling's Dennis that is here hmvf.co.uk/topic/314-ww1-dennis-truck-find/page/76/#comments [/quote]

read it they used a "boat epoxy" on the inside and devcon outside. got 8 years service before it started to leak. Id suggest devcon only and follow the instructions and recommendations. If its too far gone, replace the tank .

trying to live the retired life

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214356 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
I am waiting for the tanks to be sandblasted inside. Depending on how they come up, I am hoping to mig up the hole(s) and any areas that are very thin, then paint with POR15. If the thin areas are too large for that, will cut out, weld in patches and then paint with POR15. Won't know until my mate gets around to sandblasting. POR advised that either POR15 or tank sealer would be suitable.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214690 by Oilman
I had the tanks sandblasted on the inside and while there was some deep pitting, there was only the one small hole. I migged up the worst of the pitting and then painted with 2 coats of POR 15 and then reassembled with original gaskets with a small amount of silicone as insurance. Fitted it back in today with a mate. Even with the two of us, ended up lifting with the fork.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Oilman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, cobbadog, PaulFH, husky, asw120, oliver1950

More
3 years 7 months ago #214719 by Oilman
Hopefully I'm getting close to the end. Filled her up with water, oil, fuel and powersteering fluid. Primed the fuel, engaged the decompression levers and hit the starter.........nothing. Pulled the cover off the end of the starter and manually engaged it and she spins over fine. Oil pressure light goes out, dropped the decompression levers but no firing. I have pulled off the starter motor and seems that the coil isn't pulling in the armature so the contacts close so I will need to fix that before I can look at trying to bleed the injectors. One of the water manifolds is leaking so now I have the full compliment of leaks - water, air, oil (but not fuel - so far). I was crossing jobs off the list, but now I am adding them back faster than I can cross them off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
3 years 7 months ago #214720 by Mrsmackpaul
Believe it or not but you are moving forward

Keep at it, it wont be long now

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris

More
3 years 7 months ago #214733 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic 1975 Atkinson restoration
Triumph motorbikes are like that, full of leaks, except the water one of course. I knew a bloke was bringing his brand new Triumph out to the surf club one weekend so when he arrived I took out a sheet of news paper, just as well I could run in those days.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.698 seconds