Skip to main content

1934 International C1

More
8 months 2 weeks ago - 8 months 2 weeks ago #247611 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic 1934 International C1
The diaphragm in the fuel pump is dried out and started to leak. No new pumps or kits are available, I have 2 spare pumps but they didn’t have a useable diaphragm. As it turns out the diaphragm in a Holden 179 pump is the same and I have one, both pumps are AC and it’s possible to put the top of a 179 pump on a ‘34 C1 pump if needed. Only problem is the pushrod is different and it’s peened on, so a little surgery and all fixed.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang, PaulFH, grandad, wee-allis, oliver1950, theabundantlife

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 weeks ago #247620 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic 1934 International C1
Someone has done a very creative fix on the filter side of that pump. You can see where the fuel originally came in on the left; this has all been cut off and the hole tapped out to take the pipe. I have one of these pumps on a 1934 Bedford where this part has burst from corrosion, I suspect the same has happened here. Very interesting!

Thanks for posting, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, Southbound, wee-allis

More
8 months 4 days ago - 8 months 4 days ago #247902 by Southbound

Well the C1 is on CPS now, I’ve been out doing the shakedown miles and sorting the issues. It drives like an old car, happy at 35 mph, but the driver has a stupid grin on his face!!

Last edit: 8 months 4 days ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, hayseed, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Inter-Action, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, Normanby and 7 other people also said thanks.

More
8 months 4 days ago #247905 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic 1934 International C1
I bet the grin is huge though

Enjoy

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Southbound

More
8 months 3 days ago #247926 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic 1934 International C1
Southbound, well done.. You'd have to as Happy as a Dog with two. [strike]D[/strike]..........er....Tails...;)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Southbound

More
8 months 3 days ago #247933 by Southbound

Southbound, well done.. You'd have to as Happy as a Dog with two. [strike]D[/strike]..........er....Tails...;)

Ba ha ha ha!

The following user(s) said Thank You: wee-allis

More
8 months 3 days ago #247935 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic 1934 International C1
That grin was a long time coming. Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250580 by Southbound
An update on the ute. The engine kept on cutting out and kept me busy finding the cause of it, it was so bad I made up 1 litre fuel tank to hang in the engine bay to get me home. First check was the fuel pick up line in the tank that I made and it got a haircut in case it was too long, next the fuel tank vent inside the filler neck had a low spot that held fuel, so that was cut short and still no joy.

Next re route the fuel tank vent hose as it had a low spot and held fuel, not that either.

Check the fuel pump and found a lazy spring, not that, the float level was low but not the cause.

All along I had wondered if it was supposed to have a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the fuel pump so had a look in the parts book, yes it should have, so made up one and bingo, it stopped cutting out on me. Fuel vaporization due to low air flow was the problem. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250581 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1934 International C1
A good find. Dodge flat 6 engines are renowned for this problem. A sheet of Alfoil over the pump is enough to get you home. Fuel pumps don't like wheelspinning on steam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, Southbound, wee-allis

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #250582 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic 1934 International C1
Our ‘38 Nash had this problem, it was in my Wife’s family from new. When  a stammer appears switching on an electric fuel pump fitted at the tank sorts it.The exhaust pipe heads forward, down then back closely above car’s pump, I put the pump on to get fuel up to carby if car had been unused, the vaporising cure is a bonus. As long as the diaphragm in the mechanical pump is sound should be OK.
David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, Southbound

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds