Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219923 by PDU
Nothing much exciting happening around here . . . but the weld, weld, weld, grind, grind, grind continues spasmodically. It's almost soul destroying and I am only writing this to avoid going back outside to do a bit more. I guess there is something about just building a flat tray, but that would be too easy. :whistle:

Right hand guard extension now welded (and ground :pinch:) with the other side waiting for me to get on to it.

So once again another "nothing happening" picture . . .
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219927 by PDU
Another hour and a half out of my life, two down and two to go. Later!!

Before and after, dome supports, upper corners:

I wonder if anyone will ever see them inside?

Sweated labour done, and most definitely time for a shower.
Apologies for the crappy pictures once again. Cheap phone. :blush:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Pierre

More
3 years 1 month ago #219929 by wee-allis
Pom, great work and great progress. Funny though, we used to blame the camera, now it is the phone.
Things sure do change over the years.
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 1 month ago #219931 by Mrsmackpaul
Progress is progress, as long as your moving forward

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 1 month ago #219938 by Zuffen
Right now you must be asking yourself "what was I thinking".

In 12 months time you will appreciate where you where headed.

Keep at it as it's looking the goods.

Nice Herald Coupe. is it the 12/50?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 1 month ago #219946 by cobbadog
Yes, stay focussed and the end will be nighe. We are following your progress and doing what we can to keep you on track, well done.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219956 by PDU
Appreciated all. Your comments and support certainly do make a difference. Meanwhile keep your feet dry and hope everyone is well clear of the rising waters.

The Herald is an early 1959 948cc model, which I have built from two basket cases. It is kinda close to being finished, but not close enough to inspire me to do anything with it (much to my wife's annoyance). Basically needs the tail lights bolting in properly, a few electrics to confirm connections, and the windscreen needs fitting. Probably two solid weekends would have it mobile . . . but not floating my boat at the moment as much as the truck. :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219957 by Zuffen
So what you enjoy most and you will do it better.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219958 by PDU
Perhaps I'm just a masochist Zuffen?

Mind you it would be a cheap run around, and B for would hardly notice it hooked on behind??? :unsure: :lol: Opposite extremes almost.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219968 by PDU
Stayed away from the tray today and tackled some of those "I'll do that later" jobs.

Job 1, Broken support over the drivers side shaft for the accelerator pedal, a real fun experience working by myself. Apparently you need orangutan arms if doing this on your own, but persistence and perseverance paid off for the one man army. ;)
PS I know the screws go in from underneath, but I wasn't ready for that by the time I was finished!

Job 2, I removed my special centre bulkhead piece so I could get to the welds just below it where there are some braces/support walls. Lots of grinding here, what fun?
But NOT today.

The above also involved Job 3, Removing the grille and radiator. Which was necessary to ascertain why the water pump had leaked prodigiously when it was running. After removing the pump this would appear to be a fault of there being no gasket behind the pump other than the remnants of a layer of silastik? At least it pealed off easily. Also left this in the "TO DO" basket so I could get on with . . . :huh:

Job 4, Reverting to the hanging type engine mount at the front, as against the J Type mount that I had used on top of the front crossmember. Personally I feel this was a better mount, except it sat the nose up about 3/4" (19mm for you metric types). This was quite noticeable when viewing side on, with the style line running uphill at the front. Careful selection of suitable bolts, nyloc nuts, and what was still on hand of the original mountings, and everything is looking schmick again . . .

A generally satisfying day. Tomorrow at the Men's Shed, there are the last bits of gyprock to go up in the morning (ceilings all finished), and Bingo in the afternoon!? :ohmy: :blush:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 0.685 seconds