Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 1 week ago #220638 by PDU
Thanks 180, cobba, Lang for your very reassuring comments . . .

It will be applied a la brosse which I can do where it is sitting, then flip it over - it really is symmetrical! :huh: Purchase will have to wait until next time I'm near Bunnings, maybe another week or so, but I'll report on the results so others can see if it is suitable for there projects also. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #220710 by PDU
I have been busy following up all the loose ends on the chassis prior to painting what isn't already painted. Fiddly stuff like additional mountings for the rear bodywork and step supports (I can now use the step safely :huh: ). Hinges for the steps (access to spare wheel), fuel tank mountings, fuel and brake lines, plus retaining clips still to do. Looks like a busy week while wife is away and the fleet probably won't get shunted around now. :unsure:

Meanwhile, when you can't find an O Type front bumper (I'm sure they never had rear ones) but you do have an M Type bar this is one way to solve the problem . . .

After welding this will make it 16"/400mm wider. The centre piece is reinforced behind the new section with provision for a removable tow hitch later (maybe). With an extra piece of sheeting on top this will become the lower step for gaining access at the rear. ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 week ago #220716 by Pierre
PDU, this is coming along very nicely, great thought processes & workmanship. It will look fantastic when completed.
all the best
Pierre

Pierre

More
3 years 5 days ago - 3 years 5 days ago #220849 by PDU
Why do things never seem to work the way you want?

Barely getting started and burst water pipe! Of course that has to be the doorway needed to move the truck out. :pinch:

Under the cement and not under the pavers, which would have been easy. It was bubbling up between the cement drainage channel and the already badly cracked cement section between the drain and garage floor.

Managed to lever the broken pieces of cement out of the way (straightforward), cajole the heavy drainage channel out (bloody sweated labour and very heavy), and then dug my way down to the pipe. Eventually the leak was traced and several large roots were cleared. So much dirt (read mud) from such a small hole. There was a small dustbin full apart from what is seen below.

Living in a country town can have its drawbacks, the hardware shop had decided to close early!? Why does this happen to me? With everything ready it was frustrating, but not wanting to become involved in a 50km round trip just to buy two joiners and a piece of pipe I decided to call a plumber. Turned water back on so I could have a shower, I needed it, and mowed the front lawn. At least that got done!

Three hours later the plumber fixed it in about five minutes, and was extremely pleased by such an easy job, but suggested not turning the water back on for at least an hour. Basically one day wasted.

The following day was an equally frustrating day re-filling the hole, levelling things, and then making the cement go back into place. Hammer and chisel trimming of some cement and scratch another day, but all back together. Generally rooted by the whole affair. (No rude comments re roots please!).

BUT tomorrow WILL be better, I WILL shuffle the fleet around as the truck is becoming difficult to work on the engine bay the way it is located. It needs to be turned around and moved into what was the caravan shed, even though it is full of old wood and my Trimoddore. :blink:

Sorry wasting your time with my petty side issues but that's my excuse for not getting anything done.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 days ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog, tim, wouldyou

More
3 years 5 days ago #220854 by cobbadog
They call that Murphy's Law don't they?
Dont want to upset the apple cart but wont the same thing happen again with the cement moving each time you drive over it?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 4 days ago #220860 by PDU
No doubt cobbadog, but it has sustained until now - the roots are more of a worry, they are just as likely to cause a problem further along that line and more worryingly in a "flower" bed just to one side. And most definitely a case of Murphy's Law, which I almost added earlier.

As a follow up to what WILL happen:: Later in the day, I decided I needed to make up for some lost time and began the move while light remained. With B for cleared of any extra weight I pushed it out of the shed (in consideration of neighbours noise wise and also because the radiator had been removed). My first concern was whether it would actually go under the limited door height as planned . . . :unsure:

. . . and to a much lesser degree, the cab.

Next problem, in rapidly failing light, was which way to go? Turning to the left would leave the truck arse out, which would entail going out onto the road to turn it around - not a good idea in its current state, plus the driveway has a nasty slope to get back in. So, turn to the right, back it under house verandah, avoiding the support posts which were about 200mm wider than the back of the truck, and then manipulate the chassis around in a space also barely adequate to do so. With space being limited I have done this many times before using a large trolley jack under front end, or diff, and swinging it sideways to gain a side movement of about 2-300mm each time. :huh:
Back under the verandah . . .

. . . yeah, it fits, and light is now becoming a major factor. Easing it back further to gain as much room to swing the front around past the "flower" bed, so close. :ohmy:

Now, as long as Murphy stays away I should be able to turn the truck tomorrow and continue with the move. I WILL, I can, I shall . . . :blink:
Attachments:

More
3 years 4 days ago #220862 by PDU
In the light of day and with the manipulations in progress the lack of space is now easy to see.

It will make it, albeit slowly, and provided I don't have a heart attack doing it? :sick: I'd hate to think what my blood pressure is right now but I am having a bit of a break. :blush:
Attachments:

More
3 years 4 days ago #220864 by Morris
PDU,you are certainly doing things the hard way. Have you considered selling the house and buying something with more space in sheds and yard?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim

More
3 years 4 days ago #220866 by PDU
The wife would be in that Morris, but insufficient money to do so, and I like it right where I am.

Why do things the easy way when you can have so much fun struggling your guts out!? :pinch: :lol:

More
3 years 4 days ago #220869 by wee-allis
I like the Alfred E Newman reference with "What me worry?" It's been a while since I heard that.

Pom, a thing I have used in the past to move dead vehicles on my own, in limited space, is to use a wheel brace on the nuts, with a long handle to move, (read rotate) , a wheel and by kicking a wood block along under it, you don't loose any ground you have gained and you have full control.

Just a thought that it might save you a heart attack. That would be a shame as we wouldn't get to see the finished product that we are waiting on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

Time to create page: 0.630 seconds